username195819
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Do we have to include English, maths and science? As the TOP said apart from the obvious.

They are core subjects, after all.
What? English Language is compulsory by law but English Literature is not. They are separate subjects. Only some schools make English Lit compulsory. I didn't bother to include English, Science or Maths seeing as the OP said "excluding the obvious".
jessica675
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Our only complusory ones are:

English (language and literature)
Maths
Double Science
ICT (we get to choose long or short course)
R.E (agen we get to choose long or short course)

Then we get 3 options.
I took German, Geography and Textiles.
Flourella
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We had to do RE (some people only did half a GCSE in it, but we could do full) and media studies (!!)

Three options for people who chose double science, four for people who chose single.
hupper12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by purplefrog)
Compulsory:
Eng Lang + Lit
Science Core + Additional/Additional Applied
Maths
IT (DiDA scheme, AiDA and CiDA units)
RE (Philosophy and Ethics)
PE (Short-course/Jnr Sports Leader)
DT (Food Tech/Product Design/Textiles)

Options:
The school only allowed us to have two

I chose history and geography.

We got soo many compulsory subjects compared to others. A lot of schools get 4 options in my area.
yep same as our school....but language is compulsory (i took French) the 2 others i chose were textiles and geography! we don't have that many options! finished GCSE's now (been 2 weeks) so don't have to worry about all these subjects anymore...wooooop
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Design & Technology
R.E
Miss Monkey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Compulsory:
English Lang and Lit
Double Science (but could do triple if we wanted)
Maths (and Stats for my group)
ICT
Short Course RE
A language
& 3 other options
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rach.)
What? English Language is compulsory by law but English Literature is not. They are separate subjects. Only some schools make English Lit compulsory. I didn't bother to include English, Science or Maths seeing as the OP said "excluding the obvious".
It was aimed more at everyone than just you. Then again, English is part of the national curriculum. Even if English lit isn't compulsory most schools who teach language will also teach literature (or combined).

I don't know any schools who don't teach lit or combined, That doesn't mean to say there aren't any.

Are ICT, PE and bloddy citizenship compulsory these days?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/...um/DG_10013877

That's crap.
JoJaRe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
English Lit, RE and Welsh are compulsary

and we get 4 options and you can do up to 13 GCSEs providing there are enough numbers for a class
temt91
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
English Lit + Lang
Maths
Science (Double/Triple)
IT (½ GCSE)
RE/Latin/Italian (½ GCSE)
Modern Language (French, German, Spanish)

So we got to choose either 2 or 3 subjects depending whether we did Double/Triple Science. I did History and Geography.
Shorty1992
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Compulsory:
English
English lit
Maths
Science
Additional science
French

And then you have 3 options... only allowed to do 9 GCSEs or less.
j1991
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
apart from core subjects (maths english science)
IT full course (however some people get away with it by doing triple science)
R.E. (Short Course)
Welsh (Short course) I know sucks we have to do welsh!
Chana
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Compulsary subjects at my school were:
English (lit & lang)
Maths
Science (either single, dual or triple award)
ICT (short course)
RE (short course)
Technology (Systems and Control, Resitant Materials, Graphics Products, Engineering or Food Teachnology)

Then you had a choice of three others or two choices if you chose Engineering.
I chose History, Art and Spanish.
Mathew
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Compulsory:
Science (single, double or triple)
Maths
Eng (lang and lit)
I.T Short Course
R.S/R.E Short Course
Welsh Short Course

then u have 4 option choices, including r.s, welsh and i.t full course, and then all subjects like french, german, geog, history, business, p.e, art, etc etc etc
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Are ICT, PE and bloddy citizenship compulsory these days?
What the flip? I'm not doing ICT, PE or Citizenship!!!!!!!!! I'd rather do a gcse into the works of shakespeare or a gcse that coursework includes "how to make a clock from a potato!"

PE - who would want to do that - its just a gcse in throwing a damn ball onto a wall.

ICT - anyone and everyone can operate a computer (generally). why is the government making it compulsory?

Citizenship - why learn this? what is this? it shouldn't be even part of the curriculum. name me one career that actually needs a grade c or above in gcse citizenship.

i'm not suprised that the governement is saying that standards in English and Maths are poor. Why? - is what they say. Well I'll tell you why - more than half of the national curriculum in ks3 and ks4 is dominated by ICT, PE and Citi.

What next would they make compulsory in gcse - Working for Life? Key Skills? Agriculture? How to get into University Admissions?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Compulsory Subjects:
At least one modern language: French, German or Spanish
At least one Humanity: Geography, History, Classical Civilisation or RS.
And you were advised to do at least one practical option: PE, Textiles, Home Economics, Art or Drama.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
What the flip? I'm not doing ICT, PE or Citizenship!!!!!!!!! I'd rather do a gcse into the works of shakespeare or a gcse that coursework includes "how to make a clock from a potato!"

PE - who would want to do that - its just a gcse in throwing a damn ball onto a wall.

ICT - anyone and everyong can operate a computer (generally) why is the government making it compulsory?

Citizenship - why learn this? what is this? it shouldn't be even part of the curriculum. name me one career that actually needs a grade c or above in gcse citizenship.

i'm not suprised that the governement is saying that standards in English and Maths are poor. Why? - is what they say. Well I'll tell you why - more than half of the national curriculum in ks3 and ks4 is dominated by ICT, PE and Citi.

What next would they make compulsory in gcse - Working for Life? Key Skills? Agriculture? How to get into University Admissions?
Well I was just going by what the government themselves are saying. I heard about citizenship being compulsory but not ICT or PE.

I don't think the government are saying that literacy levels are in decline, they are saying the oppoiste. It's the opposition/universities/businesses/general society that are saying that.

Although there is a bit more to GCSE PE than throwing a ball. There's also nothing wrong with agriculture as a subject area (degree or some other higher qualification). I don't think you'll ever find compulsory GCSE agriculture.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Additional Science, both English and Maths, like most places.

And then we have to do:
One modern language (French/German)
One humanity (Geog/RS/History)
One technology (Textiles/Food/CDT/ICT)
Then two choices, but you can't do another technology in that lot, so it's out of RS/Geog/Sep Sci/History/Art/Latin/PE/Music/French/German/ICT/Business Studies.

We have to do compulsory Citizenship, PE and ICT as well, but we don't get anything out of the Citizenship or PE and get some weird ECDL Driving License (?) out of ICT.

It's a good system apart from the technology, which not many wanted to do and it's a lot of work.
westlake
Report 11 years ago
All that is compulsory at ours is:

Maths
Stats
Eng Lit
Eng Lang

Then you have to do either:

Single Science
Triple Science

Then:

French
German
But you can do Spanish as well as one of them, or you can do all three but you HAVE to do french or german

Then a humanity or two or three..

Then you can do Latin, PE, Music, Art or Danse or AS Engineering if you want.

And ICT is compulsory in years 8 & 9 but I think they do Dida now instead.
hazzypants
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My scholl is a business and enterpise college, therfore they have the following gcse curriculum:

MUST DO: English, maths, double science (core then additonal), short course re, short course ict, pe jsla award or dance leaders

more able students must to literature, statistics and full ict gcse too. some people chose to do triple science after school, and full rs course after school. gifted and talented language studnets were given the choice of italian gcse after school.

Block one choose one:
Applied ICT (2 gcses)
Appiled Business (2 gcses)
Applied Leiusre and Tourism (2 gcses)
Applied Art (2 gcses)
business studies and french (what i chose)

block two: any two subjects from below
geography, drama, latin, spanish, french, hist, music, food tech, design tech, art, pe, child development

sometimes your combinations don't work cos of classes (drama and latin clashed my year)
eulerwaswrong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
english lit
english lang
double award science
maths
(all the years below us now need to do statistics aswell)
Short course RE
Short course Cymraeg
Sports leadership
and key skills level 3 in communication and application of number
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads