lil_miss_rapunzel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Everyone gets 12.5 GCSEs, and we have to do:
English and English Lit
Maths
4 Science GCSEs (Core, Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
ICT
RE Short Course
A language (French or Spanish)

plus 3 options from a range of subjects. I did Spanish (so I ended up with 2 language GCSEs as French was my language), History and Business Studies. We didn't have to do a technology (unless you count ICT) or PE thank God, and we could pick any 3 subjects for our options- they didn't have to be in blocks or anything. It all worked out quite well because I think everyone got their first choice options without any clashes
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Double Science (you could do triple if you wanted...)
ICT (Short or full)
R.S. (Short or full, but the teachers decided for you, so I foiled their evil plans by doing little work in year 9)
Welsh! (Short or full)
nuodai
Report 11 years ago
At the school where I did my GCSEs, you had to do English Lit, English Lang, Maths, Double Science (no option for triple or GNVQ), Citizenship + 4 options. Some people were offered GCSE Statistics and GCSE (short course) ICT, but you had to do those out of school time and I lived too far away. Also some people took GCSE French a year early and did Spanish too, but I joined the school too late to be able to take advantage of that. How irritating!
Simplyobsessed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
English Language, then we had to decide between Lit or Media studies

Maths.

Spanish, French, German or Key Skills (People were allowed to do 2 languages if they chose one as one of their options)

Science (Option of Single, double or triple)

RE full course (We chose the course)

Then we had 3 options. (One had to have some form of Computer involvment)
purple-girl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by piece_by_piece)
At my school it's obligatory to do: English, English Literature, Mathematics, Science (either double or separate) and French.
If you opt for double award science, you have 3 free options, two of which have to be full course GCSEs and the other can be comprised of two half courses or a full course; however, if you opt for separate science, you have 2 free options, one of which has to be a full course GCSE and the other can either be a full course or two half courses.
All together we do 9 GCSEs. It may not seem like a lot, but my school believe in "quality not quantity", which is probably why many people do very well at GCSE.
Exactly the same thing at my school, apart from they've now changed it to any modern language now from the present Yr 11s onwards (my year was the last to have to do French), and we also have to do short course ICT. Oh, and we don't have any short course options...either 2 or 3 full courses depending on if you do double or seperate science.
Lauren24
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
English Lit + Lang.
Maths.
Single award science.
ICT - OCR Nationals.
PE - either short course or sports leader.
RE - short course.
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by purple-girl)
Exactly the same thing at my school, apart from they've now changed it to any modern language now from the present Yr 11s onwards (my year was the last to have to do French), and we also have to do short course ICT. Oh, and we don't have any short course options...either 2 or 3 full courses depending on if you do double or seperate science.
Ahh yes, same here actually. Now people at my school can do any modern language which is their first language so either German/Spanish/French!
Mittalmar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Core 3 + RE, PE, 4 options (1 must be language)
spicyred
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The only compulsory GCSE is English and maths.science is not compulsory but it is 'encouraged' !:eek: :eek: we have to do p.e but we chose between gcse and non gcse (100% practical, no exams but get level ) we also have to do i.c.t... other than that the rest is our choice.. oh yeah we get to choose from citizenship's GCSE or Preparation of working life
squid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Had to do;
English
Science
Maths
RE
IT

That meant when i chose my options;
History
Geography
IT

I was only gaining 2 extra GCSE's, because IT was compulsory, I just did a longer course. This meant that the people who did Sports Studies got 3 more GCSE's than me, it was never explained :|
TTTA
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mine was Business and ICT, and we got 4 options. I chose French, Triple Science(21st Century), DT CAD and DT Graphics.
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Are ICT, PE and bloddy citizenship compulsory these days?
At my school, we had to do one hour of PE per week, but didn't have to (thankfully) do the GCSE.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No compulsory GCSE's except the obvious

Maths, English Lang + Lit and Science

i was allowed 5 choises after those
~Hazzle*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For my school there is English, Maths, Double Science, Applied Double ICT, French or Spanish and Short Course RS.
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i left school last year, but ours was done on a pathway basis. there were 5 pathways...the science pathway, the english pathway, the work related learning pathway, alternative-curriculum pathway, and then another, but i can't remember what that was, i think it may have been the technology pathway. in every pathway there were (other than the obvious) IS (RE to most other people).

in the science pathway triple award science was compulsary along with half-course ICT (the full course was not allowed) plus three other options.

the english pathway the lit and language lessons were split up, unlike the rest of the pathways where it was just 'english' on the timetable, and we got more lessons. we then had to do double award science and full-course ICT, a language and then two other options

the work related pathway included english, maths and then applied science, they then got the option of either doing a technology, applied ICT or a BTEC in either Health and social care or leisure and tourism. they came in for half a day, and did work-experience for the second half of the day. this was mainly for people who weren't that academic but still wanted a fairly good job.

the alternative curriculum pathway was mainly for people who didn't like school and went out of their way to disrrupt the lessons, were getting poor grades and were in general making the teacher's life miserable. this meant they were only allowed in school grounds between 10 and 1 o'clock, they did english, maths and triple award science. they got no extra options and came out with the max of 5 GCSEs

i can't remember the last option since it was so long ago that i chose my pathway, i just remember that it was completely technology based, with english, maths, applied science, applied ICT and then three technologies.

i did the english pathway, but because i was in G+T in year 9 i did my science exams early and so ended up doing applied science in years 10 and 11. also, if you were in G+T for years 9 + then you got up to 5 options on the first two pathways and people in G+T only got the choice between the two
k823127
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We have to do Maths, English, Science, Short Course Re, Short Course ICT, Short course Citizenship. ATLEAST.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
for me it was english and lit, maths, science and 1 language

then there was like blocks with about 3 choices

i chose RE, art, music
Emily-STFC
Report 11 years ago
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Science + Additional Science or Additional Applied or Biology
CiDA

Then 3 Choices, one from each block -

Block 1 :
BTEC P.E
History
Art
Food Tech

Block 2 :
Textiles
French
Music
Geography
History
Art

Block 3 :
Geography
Dance
Resistant Materials
Study Plus (Help with English or Maths)
Triple Award Science

I took History, Music and Geography.

I also did an after school course in Mentoring, and got a qualification equivilent to 1 A-C GCSE.
Greg.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maths
Science
English

3 free choices

And one technology (but stupidly not IT)
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We do 12 altogether:

English Language
English Literature
Double Award Science
Maths
RE
DiDA IT
Welsh

And then 3 choices, including the opportunity to take Seperate Sciences in one of the column blocks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.01%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
39.08%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.38%

Watched Threads