John Locke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maths
English Lit
English Lang
Science (either double award applied or normal double award)
A language (Route one)

Wow, doesn't look like a long list.
-aimz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maths (modular)
English Lang
English Lit
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
French

and then you choose 3 options and I do History,Geography and Art
so.simple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We have to do a language, and either geography, history or r.e

They generally don't want us doing more than 9 GCSEs
thisisaweirdbus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Compulsory: maths, English Language, English Literature, double award science (can choose applied or additional, but some people doing certain courses do single award), half course RE, half course citizenship and, as I go to a technology college, product design (unless you do a BTEC/diploma or apprenticeship). Most people then get three options, mine are French, German & history.
mammamia:0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We have to do a language and a humanity and then we have 2/3 choices depending whether or not we do separate science
misshape
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We have to do two GCSEs (well level 2 diploma-y things) in ICT, which is a pain in the arse. And then there's double science, maths, english lit and english lang, and you choose 3 more subjects. Most people have been chucked off some off their optional subjects though. So it's 10 altogether but IT doesn't really count...
speedbird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lit, as IGCSE English does not include poetry and Lit is considered to help with English. And it's a damn easy exam. I made up most parts of my essays and still got an A*

IGCSE English is harder than UK GCSE English though
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
French/german if you are taking 9+ GCSEs
Technology (not IT)
Citizenship if you don't take an extra GCSE.
CityOfMyHeart
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
English
English Lit
Maths
Statistics
Biology [full course]
Chemistry [full course]
Physics [full course]
A language [French or Spanish]
An ICT course [AS Computing, GCSE ICT or iMedia]

In all, most people get 11 or 12 GCSE's... with a few getting AS Maths/Computing/French early.
kutekittenx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maths, English, English Lit, Science (double or triple), a MFL, ICT short course
Andrii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
in your school, are there any gcses that are compulsory to do -

excluding the obvious maths, english and science

also how many gcses are you allowed to do, and how many of those are your free options
Well as you said Maths, English (& English Lit if you do higher) and Double Science are compulsory (although you can replace double with triple) as well as Humanities.

The maximum number of GCSEs we are allowed to do is 11 and the only way you can achieve this is if you do triple science+english literature (which if you are doing higher paper you are automatically entered for)+a twilight language course.

Apart from the compulsory subjects I chose five options: triple science, history, geography, french and german .
wonderland92
Report 9 years ago
compulsory: the obvious 5 then at least one language one technology (dt foodor engineering) it re and statistic and then two other choices. overll i did 14 all as apart from 3 a*s. weird how that gcses dont even matter any more :/
Pi!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Maths, English + English Lit, Double Award Science, R.S. (short), Citizenship (Short) and ICT (Double Award).

I ******* hate ICT.
InadequateJusticex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The compulsory subjects in my school are:

-ICT (AiDA)
-Citizenship
-RE (Short course AND long course. You get picked to do long course)
-MFL (Modern Foreign Language) So you have to take the language you done in year 7/8/9, which can either be Spanish, German or French.
-A humanities subject: Either Geography or History

So you can only pretty much pick 2 'free' options.
Iepnauy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
-Maths
-English Lit
-English Lang
-Core Science
-RE

AquilaXenon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had to do Maths, English Language, English Literature and Double Award Science, though the majority of our year are doing Triple Award Science.
We also had to do 2 languages (I go to a Language college) out of the three you did in year 7-9 (there are 6 languages in total, 2 out of the 4 forms do three, and then the other 2 forms do the other three out of: Russian, French, German, Spanish, Latin & Japanese).
Then we had to take one humanity out of RS, Geography and History (SHP or Modern World).

After that we had two more options out of the usual: the other language, the other humanities (RS, Geography or History - SHP/Modern World), art, resistant materials, food, music, graphics. And there was also the option of doing Additional Maths FSMQ on a Tuesday after school.

We also had to do ICT GCSE in Year 9.

It changed the year after me though so now they only had to do 1 language but that couldn't be Latin - that had to be taken as an option, they didn't have the option of Additional Maths, and they also had to do another year of ICT.

The bold ones are the ones I took.
Amy(:
Report 9 years ago
English Language & Lit
Maths
Science
ICT
RE
One technology option
usa1981
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xjjdy)
english lit
english lang
religious studies
ICT
double science /triple science
history / geography

a language wasnt compulsory (but it was STRONGLY recommended..) .. i took french

we have to have at least 13 GCSES. unless you do the enguineering diploma .
What school do you go to? If the ones you listed are compulsory GCSEs than how can the students the be made take at least 13 GCSEs? How GCSEs does you school offer? What subjects are you taking?
It seems unlikely that your school your school would make the students take 13 GCSEs or more. Most school school I have looked at want the students to take 5-7 required subjects and and 2-4 chosen subjects.
AquilaXenon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by usa1981)
It seems unlikely that your school your school would make the students take 13 GCSEs or more. Most school school I have looked at want the students to take 5-7 required subjects and and 2-4 chosen subjects.
We have to take 11-12 and it is possible to do 1 or 2 more. And then there's FSMQ on top of that. Every school is different.
usa1981
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
5-7 compulsory+2-4 chosen= 7(really 9 usually)-11. Some (not all) of the schools where student do a total of 13 or more are when students can do the Diploma. that look like 5-7 GCSEs+Higher Diploma equlivelent to 7+ 1 or 2 GCSE=12-16. I know each school is different. I hope that xjjdy, answers my questions especially about what school she goes to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
6.98%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.08%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.28%
It might lead to more bullying (93)
36.05%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.62%

Watched Threads