The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University - Imposter Syndrome

I've completed one year at Durham in Law. The entire year I felt like they made a clerical error and I slipped under the radar, but if I made too big of waves, someone important would notice and they would kick me out. I, for these reasons, did not join any clubs or socs that I wanted to, didn't pursue social events that I thought would put too much of a spotlight on me, and on top of all this, felt very culturally isolated, because I was the only American in the general vicinity of my college. I have resits to take on top of this, that stem from my extreme testing anxiety (roaring in my ears, thinking my body is shutting down, sensory overload, thinking everyone can see my work and thinking how terrible it is). I just want to feel like I belong to a university that I worked hard to get into.
Reply 1
I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling like this ❤️. But remember, they would not have let you in in the first place if they didn't think you were qualified enough! This also means there is no reason for you to fly under the radar next year - join clubs, go out, have fun! They want you there because you are good enough, so enjoy everything they offer you! You aren't paying huge fees to them to hide under the radar and not enjoy yourself. Also, is there an American society of sorts you could join, just to be with people who are culturally similar to you a few times a week?

In terms of the exam anxiety, I know exactly how you feel. I get the same way, but more out of a claustrophobia - I feel like I can't get up and get out of the room if I need a break. If possible, would you be able to contact some sort of student support at Durham? Perhaps a counsellor who could help you through your fears, but also help make things easier for you. For example, get put in a room on your own to do your exams in peace?

I hope this helps!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest