BedfordMom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve been looking at courses in Clearing. The entry requirements for most seem to be exactly the same as the standard entry grades. I know clearing isn’t just for people who have missed their grades but is there any chance some of theses university eg Swansea, Sussex for instance will reduce their grade requirements on results day or this it?
maceypalmer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think there definitely is a chance, but I imagine that they do it on a case by case basis on the phone. Your GCSE (or equivalent) grades may have influence or perhaps how many spaces they have left on the course as they don’t want empty spaces.
DEdEdD
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maceypalmer)
I think there definitely is a chance, but I imagine that they do it on a case by case basis on the phone. Your GCSE (or equivalent) grades may have influence or perhaps how many spaces they have left on the course as they don’t want empty spaces.
I'm replying as a university lecturer (but not involved in recruitment or admissions) but also as (for this year) an A level parent.

Although clearing has opened in reality until A level results (which the universities receive and start processing this weekend) are out no one knows which courses are oversubscribed, full or can take more students. Classroom based courses (compared to lab, studio etc where there are physical limitations) are always more likely to have places but if courses are nearly full grades will drop less. It is a buyers market this year (as it was last year) but that doesn't mean grades will drop for every course at every university. My daughter is waiting for A level results and last year I made a note of what grades the universities on her shortlist were asking for in clearing. Typically they were at least 2 grades lower (so one which asks for AAB for English Lit was asking for BBB in clearing).

There is nothing much that can be done until next Thursday when results are out (other than have a piece of paper ready with key detsils - UCAS no etc - and maybe research other courses). Certainly don't contact universities as they are incredibly busy and although they will have grades by Monday they are under strict embargo (incl systems access being limited).
Last edited by DEdEdD; 1 year ago
BedfordMom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you both for your replies. I guess patience is the key here.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, have patience is the best advice here. Your daughter could very well have met her offer, or have done well enough that the uni is willing to relax its conditions a little.

You mentioned Swansea. They have stated that they are happy to accept every applicant who they judge would benefit from their foundation course, even if their A-level grades fall below the required standard for direct admission to the undergraduate programme.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads