Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m taking...
Higher RMPS
Higher Spanish
Higher History
Higher Geography
and was wondering it would be best to take a YASS course and if it would be as beneficial as they say it is. I am wanting to take the business course as I’m wanting to study journalism/media/public relations. And i need As and Bs.
James the writer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ask any history question ...all answers are with me
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mxriax)
I’m taking...
Higher RMPS
Higher Spanish
Higher History
Higher Geography
and was wondering it would be best to take a YASS course and if it would be as beneficial as they say it is. I am wanting to take the business course as I’m wanting to study journalism/media/public relations. And i need As and Bs.
What year are you going into? What are your previous grades?
What's a YASS course?

Crashing both History and Geo at Higher level might be tough on top of also doing RMPS and Spanish. Maybe just crash one of them instead?
cmary02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I crashed two subjects last year - RMPS and Geography. Crashing two subjects is okay, to be honest, but it definitely depends on which subjects they are. I also did higher history so can offer a little advice on that, but I had done it at N5 as well.

Geography I really enjoyed, and ended up doing really well and achieving an A in the exam. I think its one of the best subjects to crash, as a lot of the course is brand new to those who will have got their N5 as well, so you're all in the same boat most of the time. Additionally, it's quite generous in terms of how marks are given out, which makes things easier.

Higher history, on the other hand, is a lot more work and quite a bit more difficult. You really have to work for a single mark, and a lot of the same concepts carry over from national 5. I think you would struggle having not done it before, or at least n5 modern studies at a push as that is probably most similar to it. I got 90% in my N5 history exam and still really struggled last year. It's a very full on course with a huge amount of content, and takes up a lot of time out of school as well. To be honest, I'd only crash higher history if you were already quite experienced with social subjects and achieved highly in them, and are able to write essays well.

I would maybe suggest crashing Modern Studies instead. The curriculum is a lot less deep, and the marking rules are less strict as well.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cmary02)
I would maybe suggest crashing Modern Studies instead. The curriculum is a lot less deep, and the marking rules are less strict as well.
Really? I don't know if I'd recommend crashing Higher Mods. It's rather dull as a subject and the course offers no flexibility in terms of essay questions etc.
cmary02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Really? I don't know if I'd recommend crashing Higher Mods. It's rather dull as a subject and the course offers no flexibility in terms of essay questions etc.
It's simple though. You know the essay questions you'll be given, it's just a case of memorising the essays and writing them out again in the exam. Additionally, because of the format of the exam, you're given a choice of essays to write, which means you can get away with learning less of the essays. (e.g - democracy will always be a choice out of 3, so you only need to learn 4 out of the 6 in order to be able to answer that section). Source questions don't require any knowledge whatsoever. as well - that's 28 marks.

The same could be said for history, to be fair, but I found mods essays miles easier to memorise, or bluff if I had forgotten. There's a fair amount in the mods course that can be achieved with common sense and keeping half up to date with the news and current affairs, to be honest. Additionally, the content wasn't really a big step up from N5 at all, and didn't need to be understood anywhere near as deeply as it did in history.

I suppose it depends what type of a learner you are, and how badly you need the grade, but if you were looking for an easy pass, I'd be more inclined to take the slightly less interesting mods course for the simplicity of it over history.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cmary02)
It's simple though. You know the essay questions you'll be given, it's just a case of memorising the essays and writing them out again in the exam. Additionally, because of the format of the exam, you're given a choice of essays to write, which means you can get away with learning less of the essays. (e.g - democracy will always be a choice out of 3, so you only need to learn 4 out of the 6 in order to be able to answer that section). Source questions don't require any knowledge whatsoever. as well - that's 28 marks.

The same could be said for history, to be fair, but I found mods essays miles easier to memorise, or bluff if I had forgotten. There's a fair amount in the mods course that can be achieved with common sense and keeping half up to date with the news and current affairs, to be honest. Additionally, the content wasn't really a big step up from N5 at all, and didn't need to be understood anywhere near as deeply as it did in history.

I suppose it depends what type of a learner you are, and how badly you need the grade, but if you were looking for an easy pass, I'd be more inclined to take the slightly less interesting mods course for the simplicity of it over history.
Maybe it depends on the person and their interests?

I did both Mods and History for Nat 5 and Higher. I found History miles easier and found that I didn't really have to revise for the essays as much because it seemed simpler. In contrast, I found with Higher Mods that I had to memorise an obscene amount of facts and figures in order to regurgitate them during the exam. Even if I could use my common sense with Mods, I felt like it didn't have much value to it unless I had a fact or figure to back it up with. For History, on the other hand, I felt like there was much less emphasis on precise figures etc, so I could use my common sense/knowledge of the time period to argue however I saw fit.
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 week ago
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mxriax)
I’m taking...
Higher RMPS
Higher Spanish
Higher History
Higher Geography
It's probably not as beneficial as your school are saying it is, but that doesn't mean I think it's a waste of time either. I take it you're going into S6 and already have S5 results?
I'd say that you shouldn't do the YASS course just to do the YASS course, but if you are interested in the content of it (which it sounds like you are), then it's a good thing to do, providing that you prioritise your graded subjects over it since you're needing them to meet entry requirements.
Last edited by Labrador99; 1 week ago
mxriax
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
thank you for all your reply’s i am deciding on doing...
- Higher RMPS
- Higher Spanish
- Higher Geography
- Higher Business (Resit) + YASS business course
i am crashing all the subjects listed except business as I got a C which I was so upset about as I wasn’t very far from a B.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (15)
16.3%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
14.13%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (23)
25%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (34)
36.96%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.09%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.52%