The Student Room Group

Can i get a job in optometry or medicine if i have a lazy eye?

For a long time now, i have been questioning myself of whether i could get a job in optometry or medicine because i have a lazy eye in my left eye, and i cant get it fixed. Please could i receive any advice of whether i possibly could get pursue a job in those fields as i would have to see people on a daily basis and it might get in the way. Any advice would be appreciated.
It will depend on how it affects you
I'm sure there are definitely areas of medicine which would be more suited towards you, but you may be limited by other areas
Reply 2
What do you mean by "how it affects you". thanks
Original post by Azotic
What do you mean by "how it affects you". thanks

So the severity of your impairment and how the lazy eye affects your eyesight
Reply 4
My optometrist have told me that i have a good vision, but it is just something that i have.
(edited 4 years ago)
I would have said it’s the opposite. Cosmetic is good function but looks different to others
Reply 6
So should i persue another career in science, that requires to see less people on a daily basis?
Reply 7
okay thank you.
Reply 8
yup thats what i meant
Reply 9
Original post by ForestCat
I would have said it’s the opposite. Cosmetic is good function but looks different to others

yup thats what i meant. Thanks
I'm an optometry student and i don't think they wouldn't allow you to the course because of your lazy eye, but you may have to do thing differently to others, such as using some equipment that require binocular vision. You can still use one eye though. Still ask I'm not 100% sure
Reply 11
Original post by EyestriX
I'm an optometry student and i don't think they wouldn't allow you to the course because of your lazy eye, but you may have to do thing differently to others, such as using some equipment that require binocular vision. You can still use one eye though. Still ask I'm not 100% sure

yup okay
I have met one consultant with a lazy eye and at least one who was totally blind in one eye, so if you have good vision it may well be ok - would need an individual occupational health assessment though. I imagine you may find things requiring fine motor co-ordination e.g. surgery tricky if you lack depth perception, but there are plenty of other specialties out there.
Reply 13
Original post by Helenia
I have met one consultant with a lazy eye and at least one who was totally blind in one eye, so if you have good vision it may well be ok - would need an individual occupational health assessment though. I imagine you may find things requiring fine motor co-ordination e.g. surgery tricky if you lack depth perception, but there are plenty of other specialties out there.

Okay thanks, im just worried if the vision in the lazy eye will get worse like that consultant you said.

Quick Reply