L-Grace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm considering taking A level philosophy and I am wondering what it's like at A level. How hard is it and is it well liked at universities? I am also considering classical civilizations, history and English literature, how well would philosophy go with some of these subjects?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i study PPE and the director of student experience started the first philosophy lecture with "now, we know some of you will have experience of philosophy but sometimes it's easier to forget some of what you've been taught because schools...they don't always teach it right"

but of course if you're not studying degree level philosophy, that may no be relevant. in that case it's probably a helpful a level
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Philosophy is as acceptable as any other subject to admissions tutors; whether it will be useful after starting a degree including philosophy is debatable (see the above comment). It would be a reasonable subject to take in any combination with the other ones you've noted. I can't say how hard it is, as aside from not having taken it myself, "difficulty" of subjects is fairly relative. I wouldn't imagine it's any harder than the others you've noted, if you are good at the general skills used in those (essay writing, critical reading, etc).
L-Grace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you I can see how this will fit in with some of the other subjects I'm interested in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads