I can't revise Watch

eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Too much going on in my life at the moment, makes my exams seem just a little bit insignificant.

I've been caught up in the middle of my parents divorce which isn't nice, especially as we're all still living together.. Well until about 4 weeks ago when my dad just went missing. Only contact I've had is one text where I had to remind him to wish me luck in an exam.

I sit down to revise and my mind is just else where. The only way I can deal with my situation is by going to the gym and working out.. but I can't stay there forever or revise in a gym.

I've even stayed in sixth-form to revise, but my mind is still plagued with other thoughts.

What can I do?
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get off TSR...?
Anonymous #1
Report 11 years ago
im feeling in a similar kind of situation atm :/ my parents r arguing and i have an exam tomorrow, just i dunno can hardly speak myself, realise ur education has significance in the long run its more important than on goings in ur life although it doesnt seem that way
sdt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Suck it up, for starters. I know that sounds horrid but well, the harsh reality is that the exam boards won't be swayed too much. Get in contact with the exams officer and work something out.
eDDeboo
Rep:
?
I came on here to ask for advice and have been using the thread specific for my exam tomorrow to help revise. Idiot.
dinosaur711
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MSB)
Get off TSR...?
agreed.
eDDeboo
Rep:
?
(Original post by sdt)
Suck it up, for starters. I know that sounds horrid but well, the harsh reality is that the exam boards won't be swayed too much. Get in contact with the exams officer and work something out.
My head of year knows of my situation, should I see if I can get special consideration or something? Don't really like handouts
hcblingbling
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
some people on here are so unhelpful!
I know its hard to revise when theres otherthings on your mind, i just try and think about uni and the fact that ill be leaving home!
MSB
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by eDDeboo)
I came on here to ask for advice and have been using the thread specific for my exam tomorrow to help revise. Idiot.
You're welcome.
sdt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My head of year knows of my situation, should I see if I can get special consideration or something? Don't really like handouts
So you don't like handouts but you're willing to not revise? Seems like you're welcoming failure with open arms.
eDDeboo
Rep:
?
Excuse me?

I've been working my tits off the past month or two and my situation that I've kept bottled up so I could get on with revision has just escalated to such a degree that I just want to escape and not give two ****s about my exams.

I need something to change this..
beccaarr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Stick some music on. Something that you enjoy and make you relax. Things went abit pear shaped last year when my exams were coming up, it helped to take my mind off things while I was revising.
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sdt)
So you don't like handouts but you're willing to not revise? Seems like you're welcoming faliure with open arms.
He said he's finding it hard to, not that he's not willing to. When you're going through a tough time, and revision becomes the least of your worries, and gets pushed to the bottom of the pile, even though it should be important.

I think you have to find your revision 'thing'. It's taken me a long time to realise that I can't revise in my room (I start tidying) and that if I go and do some in the garden to avoid the whole internet distraction, I watch insects and play with the grass instead. And if I try to do it in a library, I do about half an hour then go home, because I don't like the silence.

I've found the best thing for me, is to sit cross-legged on the living room sofa like a little Budda, with my revision books all around me, and with music playing on the laptop. And then I get a massive pile of cheap plain paper, and make the scruffiest notes EVER, using broad felt tip pens. That's how I've been revising for my A2s, and it's the most revision I've ever managed. Might not work for everyone though, especially if you want to get out of the house.

Don't forget - exams are over in a week or so, so it's not that much longer that you'll have to do all this revision. A week of hard work, then you can slob out and let all that information drain out of your head while you lounge in your pjs watching repeats of Top Gear on Dave... oh wait, that's what I plan to do.. :p:
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Relax a bit. Write down all your current thoughts on a piece of paper. Then slap yourself and realise your exams are really important!
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Too much going on in my life at the moment, makes my exams seem just a little bit insignificant.

I've been caught up in the middle of my parents divorce which isn't nice, especially as we're all still living together.. Well until about 4 weeks ago when my dad just went missing. Only contact I've had is one text where I had to remind him to wish me luck in an exam.

I sit down to revise and my mind is just else where. The only way I can deal with my situation is by going to the gym and working out.. but I can't stay there forever or revise in a gym.

I've even stayed in sixth-form to revise, but my mind is still plagued with other thoughts.

What can I do?
Start with revision that is so menial that you dont have to think about anything, just go through and do X amount of questions a day/ write out Y amount of sentences. Quite a lot should stick.
HipsAndHearts
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had this in my GCSE's.
Just went to places such as library to revise, as at home you constantly think about it.
Although this advice is insignificant if your exam is tomorrow because it is a sunday.
Hope it helps a little. x
Wyl
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I find it difficult to revise at the best of times so I've no idea how difficult it must be for you, good luck though
Alexx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RosiePosiePuddingAndPie)
Don't forget - exams are over in a week or so, so it's not that much longer that you'll have to do all this revision. A week of hard work, then you can slob out and let all that information drain out of your head while you lounge in your pjs watching repeats of Top Gear on Dave... oh wait, that's what I plan to do.. :p:
That's exactly what i keep telling myself, been a really big help and actually made me add a few lines of writing in 80% of my exams, if just for the hope of an extra mark or two.

OP-
It might sound blunt, but just get stuck into it for the last few days or whatever. Once you start reading/writing notes you'd be suprised how deep your concentration can get. Or at least that's how i am.

PS.
<3 Dave. Top gear, red dwarf, nvm the buzzcocks + the mighty boosh. What more could you ask for from a single TV channel?
quintsy
Report 11 years ago
It's perfectly understandable that revision isn't your main priority right now; you're going through a tough time, and anyone would find it quite hard to focus. I think you have to be completely honest and realistic with yourself. Do you think you'll be able to get enough revision done to meet your university offers? If not, would you consider taking a gap year, or would you prefer to stick to your previous plans, i.e. by applying for special consideration or phoning up universities and explaining the situation?

It's worth noting that if you do want to try for special consideration, you'll have to get it all sorted relatively quickly. You need to apply for each subject separately, and all applications need to be made within 7 days of the last exam in each series. You won't find out if your application has ben successful or not, and the maximum you'd gain would only be about 1-2%. You've said you don't like "hand-outs" though, so I'm not sure how keen you'd be to get it. I was in a similar situation this year; I had to keep going to hospital throughout my exams for tests to see if something's wrong, so I wasn't all that focused on revision. In the end I decided not to go for special consideration though, because I think it's hard to quantify being ill/stressed etc. and I'd feel a bit like I was cheating if they just added on a few extra marks for something which is pretty unmeasurable. It's slightly different for you though, because you're doing A2s, so a few (deserved) marks could make the difference between getting your university place or not, whereas I can always resit next year.

It's a completely personal decision, essentially, but you're not alone and there are several options. Hope it all works out! :hugs:
eDDeboo
Rep:
?
(Original post by suuuuuuseh)
It's perfectly understandable that revision isn't your main priority right now; you're going through a tough time, and anyone would find it quite hard to focus. I think you have to be completely honest and realistic with yourself. Do you think you'll be able to get enough revision done to meet your university offers? If not, would you consider taking a gap year, or would you prefer to stick to your previous plans, i.e. by applying for special consideration or phoning up universities and explaining the situation?

It's worth noting that if you do want to try for special consideration, you'll have to get it all sorted relatively quickly. You need to apply for each subject separately, and all applications need to be made within 7 days of the last exam in each series. You won't find out if your application has ben successful or not, and the maximum you'd gain would only be about 1-2%. You've said you don't like "hand-outs" though, so I'm not sure how keen you'd be to get it. I was in a similar situation this year; I had to keep going to hospital throughout my exams for tests to see if something's wrong, so I wasn't all that focused on revision. In the end I decided not to go for special consideration though, because I think it's hard to quantify being ill/stressed etc. and I'd feel a bit like I was cheating if they just added on a few extra marks for something which is pretty unmeasurable. It's slightly different for you though, because you're doing A2s, so a few (deserved) marks could make the difference between getting your university place or not, whereas I can always resit next year.

It's a completely personal decision, essentially, but you're not alone and there are several options. Hope it all works out! :hugs:
Thanks to you and everyone else who offered advice.
I'm taking a gap year already, but plan to work and travel
I have to say the "its only one more week of solid work to go" is the best thing.
Just got back from the gym and I'm completely detoxed of thoughts of my family and using it as an excuse.

Time to hit the books
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
6.98%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.08%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.28%
It might lead to more bullying (93)
36.05%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.62%

Watched Threads