The Student Room Group

Retaking GCSE Maths Summer 2020 for University entry 2020 ?

Hi,

this post is a followup to this one, in case some people are interested into my story - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6025854. Will give my circumstances and questions towards you in the shortest way possible. Currently 20 years old(1999), completed first year of ICT BTEC Extended Diploma with 8 Ds and 1 M which is of an animation unit. Predicted for overall are D*D*D to D*D*D*, but sadly not doing A-level Maths and got a C on my GCSE Maths. My intention is to do Software Engineering in either Queen Mary or Royal Holloway, which both require 5/6 or above in GCSE Maths. Initially, planned to retake my exam this November and the results would've been out by January, but was told few minutes ago that the November are only for retakes from this 2019 summer examination period. So my question is, should I still try to retake my GCSE Maths next summer or it would be too late ? Should I set my current grades in UCAS and try my luck, if my grade is not sufficient enough, would they give me a conditional stating to retake my GCSE Maths or would simply reject me ?

Thanks in advance !

Alex
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok, so you need to improve your GCSE Maths grade.

Firstly, I do not understand why you have been told that November exams are only for candidates resitting the immediately preceding May/June series. This appears to be inaccurate. Which board's exams do you want to take?

Secondly, if you do indeed end up taking your GCSE Maths next summer, then that is not too late for an UCAS application for 2020 entry. Your offer would simply be conditional on getting the required grade before entering uni.

Having said all that, perhaps they would be happy to take an old GCSE Grade C as equivalent to the reformed GCSE Grade 5? What was the Maths requirement for your course prior to the GCSE reforms? Perhaps you should ask your uni if your current qualification is already good enough for them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 学生の父
Ok, so you need to improve your GCSE Maths grade.

Firstly, I do not understand why you have been told that November exams are only for candidates resitting the immediately preceding May/June series. This appears to be inaccurate. Which board's exams do you want to take?

Secondly, if you do indeed end up taking your GCSE Maths next summer, then that is not too late for an UCAS application for 2020 entry. Your offer would simply be conditional on getting the required grade before entering uni.

Having said all that, perhaps they would be happy to take an old GCSE Grade C as equivalent to the reformed GCSE Grade 5? What was the Maths requirement for your course prior to the GCSE reforms? Perhaps you should ask your uni if your current qualification is already good enough for them.

Hi,
It was B, with the new grading system is 5 for Queen Mary and 6 for Royal Holloway. That being said, I was indeed 3 points short of a B back then.
Original post by Dralexus
Hi,
It was B, with the new grading system is 5 for Queen Mary and 6 for Royal Holloway. That being said, I was indeed 3 points short of a B back then.

Ok, so you do need a better grade. Like I said earlier, I see no reason why you shouldn't sit in November. Otherwise next May/June is fine as long as you put it in the qualifications pending section of the UCAS form.
Reply 4
Original post by 学生の父
Ok, so you do need a better grade. Like I said earlier, I see no reason why you shouldn't sit in November. Otherwise next May/June is fine as long as you put it in the qualifications pending section of the UCAS form.

Hi, just called Queen Mary's admission office and was told they wont be even able to consider me if I dont have my GCSE grade on hand, so this means wont be able to apply with my grade pending. Keep in mid this is my main/firm choice.
Hi, just called Queen Mary's admission office and was told they wont be even able to consider me if I dont have my GCSE grade on hand, so this means wont be able to apply with my grade pending. Keep in mid this is my main/firm choice.

Higher end unis hate offering places with the GCSE Maths or English not being completed at the time of application.
It is a question of checking your target uni and then retaking in year 12 November or Summer. You might get away with following November, thus you will have had 2-3 chances to resit by then.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Higher end unis hate offering places with the GCSE Maths or English not being completed at the time of application.
It is a question of checking your target uni and then retaking in year 12 November or Summer. You might get away with following November, thus you will have had 2-3 chances to resit by then.

Just called a college that offered me to retake it this November and might have to apply after the UCAS deadline of 15th of January, if lucky would get my GCSE result on that day. How is my application affected if I do apply after the 15th of January and what is the difference to doing the same in clearing ?
Just called a college that offered me to retake it this November and might have to apply after the UCAS deadline of 15th of January, if lucky would get my GCSE result on that day. How is my application affected if I do apply after the 15th of January and what is the difference to doing the same in clearing ?

The deadline means everyone who applies before has to be given equal consideration and after they dont have that obligation so courses can fill up.
If you go clearing then they only have courses which are not full.
It might be worth looking into putting your application in prior to 15th Jan say 14th and then ringing up when results on 15th and get your app amended to show you have passed. Unlikely it would have been processed by that time.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
The deadline means everyone who applies before has to be given equal consideration and after they dont have that obligation so courses can fill up.
If you go clearing then they only have courses which are not full.
It might be worth looking into putting your application in prior to 15th Jan say 14th and then ringing up when results on 15th and get your app amended to show you have passed. Unlikely it would have been processed by that time.

So, do I need to call UCAS, my college or each individual University to make the changes ? Otherwise, this seems like a great idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending