thetoothfairy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
AEA maths is just based on C1-4, so I was wondering, if you were comfortable with FP2/FP3, would AEA Maths be around the same difficulty?
Having not done C3 or C4, nor FP1-3, nor AEA Maths, I have no clue! WHat do people who have done this think??
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
AEA maths is more challenging than FP2/FP3. Whilst you don't need to use more complicated techniques, you have to use them in different or unusual ways. The questions tend to be a lot less formulaic.
thetoothfairy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I see, but do you think mastering FP2/3 would help to do an AEA? (aswell as mastering C1-C4 of course!)
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not a lot, to be honest.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no it wouldnt help in the slightest i do AEA maths and all you need is C1-4 but you need to be insane to think of how to get the answer.
ExRx123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, I had a look at some AEA papers and it's really a different style to A Level maths, it's more thinking than memorising if you like and there's not much prompting. Some people can just do it naturally, others can't, but I reckon it's possible with a lot of practice so you get used to the style of thinking.
Daniel Freedman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
no it wouldnt help in the slightest i do AEA maths and all you need is C1-4 but you need to be insane to think of how to get the answer.
Ha, "insane".

Further maths involves more difficult concepts and techniques than AEA, but the questions don't require too much thinking. The questions in the AEA are designed to make you think and not just thoughtlessly apply methods you've been taught.
Kolya
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
In contrast to other posters, I found FP2/3 more difficult than the AEA, but that may just be me.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kolya)
In contrast to other posters, I found FP2/3 more difficult than the AEA, but that may just be me.
controversial.
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
do most people do 'training' for AEA? next year we're having 1 lesson a week towards it
Daniel Freedman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Annaconda)
do most people do 'training' for AEA? next year we're having 1 lesson a week towards it
I don't know about 'training', but I'm sure most people go through as many of the past papers as they can.
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Next year? Isn't this the last year?
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i had a lesson a week this year with 4 other people before school.
had to wake up early though. woth it though
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's years different. AEA is like STEP 1, and there's a reason Cambridge make everyone sit STEP rather than asking them to do 3 maths a-levels.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (54)
67.5%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
21.25%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.25%

Watched Threads