The Student Room Group

Is this enough work experience?

I'm planning on applying for Medicine in October. I got 11 A*s at GCSE and am on track to get 3 A*'s in A Levels (maths, chemistry, biology) so grades aren't a problem. However I'm not sure if my work experience is very impressive. I have:
- 6 months volunteering at a care home
- 1 week work experience at an opticians
-1 week at a pharmacy
- Charity work for the Riding for the Disabled Association (I helped disabled children to learn horse-riding and did some fundraising)

I have a week-long hospital placement arranged for October, but it isn't until after the UCAS deadline, so it won't be in my personal statement but I can discuss it if I get any interviews.

I feel like I have learnt a variety of skills from my work experience and volunteering, I'm just not sure if it's really relevant enough.
Original post by dontbethatway
I'm planning on applying for Medicine in October. I got 11 A*s at GCSE and am on track to get 3 A*'s in A Levels (maths, chemistry, biology) so grades aren't a problem. However I'm not sure if my work experience is very impressive. I have:
-1 week at a pharmacy
- Charity work for the Riding for the Disabled Association (I helped disabled children to learn horse-riding and did some fundraising)

I have a week-long hospital placement arranged for October, but it isn't until after the UCAS deadline, so it won't be in my personal statement but I can discuss it if I get any interviews.

I feel like I have learnt a variety of skills from my work experience and volunteering, I'm just not sure if it's really relevant enough.

Thats well good
Reply 2
That’s excellent experience! Good luck with your application!
All really good what you have
Just think about what you've learned from the experiences or skills developed. They are all relevant and I am sure you will realise why yourself
-1 week at a pharmacy

I think your penultimate sentence wraps it up really well. If you've learnt enough, you've got both work experience and volunteering and can reflect on it, you're good! Out of interest was the pharmacy a community pharmacist or a hospital one?

Not every medical school requires clinical experience because they understand sometime's that's not possible. If you've got something lined up you can mention it in your PS too, and state what you hope to get out of the placement that your other experiences haven't yet. As long as you've got something you can reflect on in your PS and interview (if relevant), then you should be fine.

Check out this thread for more info: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666

I had two weeks worth of medical shadowing work experience when I applied (granted that was like 4 years ago so....). Anyhoo, I mentioned one incident with a patient in my actual PS which was fine. The rest I elaborated on at interview. I focused on the volunteering aspect because I think I learnt more from that in terms of skills required to be a competent and compassionate doctor.

Any questions, feel free to reply :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey there,

That's a great variety of experience; reflecting upon each of the different experiences and making sure it's clear what you've learned from each one is the best way to make them seem worthwhile and fruitful. Plus, you can always speak about other opportunities you're planning on going out and finding/ have in place too.

Best of luck with your application,
Harriet :smile:
Second Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MedicalMuffins
I think your penultimate sentence wraps it up really well. If you've learnt enough, you've got both work experience and volunteering and can reflect on it, you're good! Out of interest was the pharmacy a community pharmacist or a hospital one?

Not every medical school requires clinical experience because they understand sometime's that's not possible. If you've got something lined up you can mention it in your PS too, and state what you hope to get out of the placement that your other experiences haven't yet. As long as you've got something you can reflect on in your PS and interview (if relevant), then you should be fine.

Check out this thread for more info: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666

I had two weeks worth of medical shadowing work experience when I applied (granted that was like 4 years ago so....). Anyhoo, I mentioned one incident with a patient in my actual PS which was fine. The rest I elaborated on at interview. I focused on the volunteering aspect because I think I learnt more from that in terms of skills required to be a competent and compassionate doctor.

Any questions, feel free to reply :smile:

Thanks for the reply, it's so useful to hear from someone who's been through it all before! I take it you're studying Medicine now- what university are you at?

Also it was a community pharmacist.

Thanks for the advice!
Thanks for the reply, it's so useful to hear from someone who's been through it all before! I take it you're studying Medicine now- what university are you at?

Also it was a community pharmacist.

Thanks for the advice!

No worries if you have any questions let me (or there are med students and doctors floating around) know!

I'm at the University of Southampton :smile:

And that's really cool. Honestly don't worry too much about what you've done. A placement in community pharmacist can show others within the MDT and how they interact with doctors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending