The Student Room Group

should the government scrap sats?

Poll

should sats be scrapped?

some people say we are being over-tested, so should sats be scrapped?

i could think of a great headline if it was to be true.............

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No i dont think sop because it would be quitee a shock to students when they get to year 11 and have to sit these massive exams without no like 'practise' if you want, before hand therefore sats should stay

but Im always saying to my cousens that they arent that important, and once you reach GCSE they are only 2 levels s therefore its not like oh Im going to be put into a bad set it will be your choice(in most schools)
To be realistic...

Yr 2 sats - The kids probably aren't even aware of them... I vaugely remember it and lets face it who in there right mind would get a 7 year old to revise. I doubt it matters if they get rid of them or not

Yr 6 sats - Similar to above. I think i did a little bit of 'revision' for these but its basically meh.

Yr 9 sats - I think good idea personally mainly because its only 2 years before GCSE's so they've got to have exam and revision experiance i guess.

Overall- I don't think it's exactly stressful and so i doubt if harm is done

=)
Reply 3
I dont even think I did my year 9 stats:redface:

edit-sats dont necessarily make me feel special but I voted NO:biggrin:
Reply 4
SATs aren't stressful.

2 + 2 = ...........

Oh.. pretty sure it's 4

... aaah... my... my overworked brain :banghead:
Lol ^

Hey that a difficult sum!
Creative
SAT's aren't stressful.

2 + 2 = ...........

Oh.. pretty sure it's 4

:p:
Reply 7
Creative
SAT's aren't stressful.

2 + 2 = ...........

Oh.. pretty sure it's 4

LOL:rolleyes:
easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Reply 11
The teachers put far too much pressure on students to do well in SATs.

Also, what purpose do they really serve?
In some cases yes. KS1 sats to me are very unimportant and not needed, also getting 7 year old to do tests seems abit harsh.

KS2 sats, i guess are slightly more important as they help give secondary schools an idea of the level each student is at but alot of pressure is put on students for these. My brother has just done his KS2 sats and he had 7 weeks full of revision for these sats with at one piece of homework per subject on monday to thursday and then 2 or 3 pieces for the weekend, they also had homework club after school on a monday to thursday to help with the homework. They were also given revision books to bring home and did practice tests in school. I personally believe that is too much pressure to be putting on 11 year old kids who haven't had any experience like that since starting school because even throughout year 6 they only got a few pieces of homework per week.

KS3 sats are the most useful i guess as they give exam experience before GCSEs start but still i don't see why they have to be done, they could just use teacher assessments to assess students level in each subject, etc.
Reply 13
Yes, they may cause too much stress, especially to 7 year old, but theyve been scraped in Wales anyway. Saying that I can remember doing them in YR2 and 6 so were they really that stressful.
Titch89
The teachers put far too much pressure on students to do well in SATs.

Also, what purpose do they really serve?

Completely agree with that, they're good for nothing really except league tables and government statistics.

They should get rid of the year 2 and 9 tests as I can't really see the point of those mid-term assessments -it makes more sense to test when leaving primary or secondary school.
Keep them all.

Can't see how well students are doing without them, teachers might just have taught a load of crap.
Reply 16
I think they should keep the KS1 and KS2, because they aren't really done as official "exams" and are a useful way of gauging a child's intellect.

However, I believe KS3s are completely pointless, as in secondary school, it is GCSEs and A levels that show someone's intellect. So I think KS3s should be scrapped.
Reply 17
They introduce kids to learn for exams from early age, no?
I've only done Year 9 SATs, which were pretty pointless (got 8,7,5).
No.

People say it puts kids under "stress". I don't remember caring. Did you care? I bet you didn't.

And it is an ENORMOUS help to teachers on seeing how well people are doing, I know a lot of schools don't but I personally had two seperate infants/junior schools so because of my year 2 SATs people knew my academic ability. Obviously same philosophy applies to year 6 SATs. Year 9 SATs are, I suppose, relatively useless, but at that stage you're getting to the point when you're just about to do important exams (on a personal level) so could be practise?
yes....my school doesnt even bother doing KS3...a waste of time.

Latest

Trending

Trending