For SQA Higher English Watch

ZZS27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi ive sat the N5 exam for English in May however I achieved a C does anyone know if it is still possible to do Higher English even though I got a C at N5 Level.Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ZZS27)
Hi ive sat the N5 exam for English in May however I achieved a C does anyone know if it is still possible to do Higher English even though I got a C at N5 Level.Thanks
Yes however it's up to your school so ask them. My school didn't allow pupils to take subjects onto Higher unless they achieved a B or above or in some rare circumstances a very high C (1% away from a B).
Last edited by Fermion.; 2 weeks ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ZZS27)
I wouldn't recommend doing Higher English if you've received a C at National 5. It's a very big step up and you might struggle a lot with the course. I know a lot of people who got an A at Nat 5 only to scrape Ds or Cs at Higher.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ZZS27)
As long as you pass a National 5 exam, you are able to take it into Higher.

But like Quick-use said, you might struggle with the coursework.
ZZS27
Rep:
?
Thanks for your feedback
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Strelzo)
As long as you pass a National 5 exam, you are able to take it into Higher.
Technically, speaking - even if they failed it or they didn't take Nat 5, they could still do Higher.

It's ultimately up to the school whether or not they would allow the student to do Higher. In other words, even if someone passes Nat 5, they might not be able to proceed to the next level.
ZZS27
Rep:
?
I guess it's a resit I kinda doubt myself doing Higher this year as I did fail the prelim back in January.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ZZS27)
I guess it's a resit I kinda doubt myself doing Higher this year as I did fail the prelim back in January.
Did you resit Nat 5 this year?
ZZS27
Rep:
?
No am going into 5th year.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ZZS27)
No am going into 5th year.
In that case, I'd encourage you to resit Nat 5 English. I think you'll find it much better this time around and hopefully come out with very good marks. In sixth year, you can try for Higher.

What were your other grades? What subjects are you taking in fifth year? Do you know what you might potentially want to do after high school? :fluffy:
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Technically, speaking - even if they failed it or they didn't take Nat 5, they could still do Higher.

It's ultimately up to the school whether or not they would allow the student to do Higher. In other words, even if someone passes Nat 5, they might not be able to proceed to the next level.
True, but it wouldn't make sense to take a subject at Higher if you failed it at the level below, unless you were very dedicated and wanted to try your best this year.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Strelzo)
True, but it wouldn't make sense to take a subject at Higher if you failed it at the level below, unless you were very dedicated and wanted to try your best this year.
I suppose there's always context to everything. :fluffy:
ZZS27
Rep:
?
Thanks and these are the subject am doing in s5: H geography,N5 chemistry,biology,maths and probably the same with English. I got a B in geo , B in Pe and c in English the reat were n4 level. I want to do something within science after school.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ZZS27)
Thanks and these are the subject am doing in s5: H geography,N5 chemistry,biology,maths and probably the same with English. I got a B in geo , B in Pe and c in English the reat were n4 level. I want to do something within science after school.
That sounds like a great plan for 5th year. I'm sure you'll do really well. Feel free to update us on here anytime!
ZZS27
Rep:
?
Thanks alot.
nat5dawg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I wouldn't recommend doing Higher English if you've received a C at National 5. It's a very big step up and you might struggle a lot with the course. I know a lot of people who got an A at Nat 5 only to scrape Ds or Cs at Higher.
Exactly me. I got an A at N5, but just got a D in Higher. It's a MASSIVE step up from N5 -> Higher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's ultimately at your school's discretion. One way to evaluate if taking the Higher is sensible is to take a look at the breakdown of your mark when you return to school - you should be able to receive this from either your N5 teacher or the head of department/year. They have to tell you all of the information they have on you (other than your exam script) in line with GDPR regulation and, if not, you can submit a subject access request through the SQA. This latter step is very unlikely and hopefully, your school will be very cooperative.

One reason why people often get lower marks in English is the close reading paper. If you look at the mean component marks - this is almost always 15/30 or less. I've known people that have gotten a C because of their close reading in either N5 or Higher first time around and then really brought their mark up by drilling close reading.

Another place where people commonly lose marks is the folio. This is a place you can really try and pick marks up for either your resit N5 or Higher if you decide to take it. Writing various drafts and getting it checked can really bring your mark up.

If your mark is generally C level across the board - I would agree with some of the earlier posters - it may make sense to resit the N5 and take Higher in S6 as it is quite a step up. If it is one or two areas that are specifically challenging, though, you could take the Higher and really focus on these areas.

Feel free to ask anything you want about Higher English btw
ZZS27
Rep:
?
Is n5 course really similar to higher.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ZZS27)
Is n5 course really similar to higher.
My class, personally, are doing the same 6 poems and doing hamlet this year instead of Macbeth. The close reading will be unpredictable in the exam.

The structure will be the same, but the content is harder. You, for one, no longer get marks for quoting.
Kubsyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have achieved a C in nat 5 english sadly. Again it’s up to school, my english teacher said that if you get a C then you do higher over two years and resit nat 5 english (weird deal but that’s what she said). Higher for two years could also work.

Edit: for me it’s a very big problem: english is not my first language so there are quite a lot of words in close reading that I don’t understand or can’t translate into my own words so I think close reading let me really down.
Last edited by Kubsyy; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%