PGCE primary presentation/interview tips? Help Watch

Nat9614
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have made a very last minute decision to apply for a PGCE (3-7yrs) after graduating with a 2:1 in Early Childhood Studies. I've got my interview next week and I'm already feeling very nervous. I'm very curious to what others have prepared for their presentation as I'm stuck for ideas. Essentially what I need to prepare is a 5 minute presentation where I talk about my chosen teaching aid/resource that I would use to inspire, motivate and support children's learning.
I need to explain why I have chosen the resource, what age group it's aimed at and how I would use it to help children learn new skills. I will also need to discuss the relationships between teaching and learning.

Any tips for the presentation as well as individual interview would be really helpful
Last edited by Nat9614; 2 weeks ago
Nat9614
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have made a very last minute decision to apply for a PGCE (3-7yrs) after graduating with a 2:1 in Early Childhood Studies. I've got my interview next week and I'm already feeling very nervous. I'm very curious to what others have prepared for their presentation as I'm stuck for ideas. Essentially what I need to prepare is a 5 minute presentation where I talk about my chosen teaching aid/resource that I would use to inspire, motivate and support children's learning.
I need to explain why I have chosen the resource, what age group it's aimed at and how I would use it to help children learn new skills. I will also need to discuss the relationships between teaching and learning.

Any tips for the presentation as well as individual interview would be really helpful
Last edited by Nat9614; 2 weeks ago
rsc1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You don't say what age you're applying for but since you did Early Childhood Studies you could take in a cardboard box and talk about how it fits into the EYFS curriculum, and talk about how you can use it for a lot of different things such as a house, rocket when looking at books like Whatever Next etc. Another thing like that could be a water tray (sensory/science of sinking/ floating, showing them how to wash and learning about hygiene etc.) These would be aimed at FS children, so Nursery and Reception.

When it comes to the interview just be clear about why you want to teach, what your experience is, and what you think you can bring to the table. It's always good as well to look up current issues in education to bring up in the interview, I looked at the most recent TES magazine and picked something relevant to my particular course and talked about that. Just be enthusiastic, and you'll do fine!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi

I've merged your threads together as both are asking the same question.

Don't stress about the presentation too much. What admissions tutors are really judging is your potential to teach, so whilst it's important you choose an appropriate resource for your age group, they won't be focusing on your choice of resource too much. A book or a game will be fine! It's more about how you present- the tutors want to be able to imagine you standing up in front of a classroom!

For the individual interview, I'd say it's important to know the primary (5-11) curriculum well. You might be asked about how you'd cope with teaching 11yos given your background. You may be asked some subject knowledge questions. You might be asked about current educational issues- reception baseline assessments or scrapping SATs would both be good ideas to talk about here. You're likely to be asked some "tell me about a time when" style questions, as well as maybe about how you cope with stress and how you'll balance the PGCE workload.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.78%
Excited (145)
8.87%
Worried (296)
18.1%
Terrified (368)
22.51%
Meh (150)
9.17%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.7%
Impatient (207)
12.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise