B1509 - Gender Recognition Act 2004 (Amendment) Bill 2019-Second Reading

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1509 - Gender Recognition Act 2004 (Amendment) Bill 2019 (Second Reading), TSR Conservative & Unionist Party

A
BILL
TO

amend the Gender Recognition Act 2004 to make explicit provisions surrounding the process of acquiring a new, or replacement birth certificate, after the issue of a Gender Recognition Certificate

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1(X)Definitions
All definitions are such as defined within the respective Acts.

2(X)Terms of issue (registration)
(X) (1) Section 10 of the Gender Recognition Act 2004 (Registration) shall be amended as follows.
(X) (2) After subsection (4), insert:-
(X) (X) (5) The issue of a Gender Recognition Certificate does not affect the validity of the original birth certificate issued to the individual.
(X) (X) (6) The Registrar General may not amend, reissue, or otherwise manipulate a birth certificate issue with changes of sex, regardless of the presence of a GRC.
(X) (X) (7) The Registrar General may also not amend, change or otherwise manipulate the recorded sex of any birth entry, regardless of the presence of a GRC.

3(X)Citation and Commencement:
(1) This act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This act will come into force upon Royal Assent.
(3) This act may be cited as the Gender Recognition Act 2004 (Amendment) Bill 2019.

Notes
Spoiler:
Show

Whilst the Gender Recognition Act of 2004 was a welcome milestone in our history, giving people the opportunity, in limited circumstances, to legally redefine their gender, its terms lack specificity.

This Bill works to ensure that, in no circumstances, can the issue of a Gender Recognition Certificate undermine the authentic nature of a ‘birth certificate’ whose principal role is to detail the birth circumstances of an individual; not the ‘desired’ birth circumstances
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 1 year ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Notes now added. Apologies for the Bill number not being in the thread title. It is B1509 for reference.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Still an unequivocal nay from me. A totally unnecessary bill in my view, and one that makes things even harder for trans people for no real reason.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay from me as well. The process in the 2004 act is not something simple for a person to undertake.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Notes now added. Apologies for the Bill number not being in the thread title. It is B1509 for reference.
Right click on the edit button of the OP, select "Open in New Tab" and you should be able to change this. :yy:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think this comes from misunderstanding what a birth certificate is; and principally conceiving it as a document set out in stone given to a parent not long after a child is born. This ignores the limited ability to alter the birth certificate after the birth and production of the certificate and also the ability to request a new birth certificate for a small fee.

A birth certificate simply indicates a birth; it is not tied to the circumstances which surround that birth. The original gender is still expressed in the original registration, which is archived.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Right click on the edit button of the OP, select "Open in New Tab" and you should be able to change this. :yy:
Excellent. Cheers.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye. I have no problem with transsexuals/transgender people having a sex change, but this does not nullify birth certificates.
yaseen1000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
AYE
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OK, what we need to realise if this were to be enacted (and a birth certificate were to only indicate the individual's status at birth) is that the birth certificate would become something irrelevant to an individual in later life.

What I'm more interested in is why this is a) needed at all and b) a priority at the start of term?
username2998742
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do not see why the Tories feel this is necessary. What is the issue that needs to be corrected?

(P.S. Fixed the formatting)
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 1 year ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I do not see why the government feels this is necessary. What is the issue that needs to be corrected?

(P.S. Fixed the formatting)
This isn't a government bill. :nope:
Bailey14
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
This isn't a government bill. :nope:
I'm so sorry! Silly me. I've edited my post now.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
This has entered cessation.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
This has been withdrawn.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (112)
13.79%
I'm not sure (36)
4.43%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (247)
30.42%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (397)
48.89%

Watched Threads