A Primary Education work experience question. Watch

markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Exactly what sort of work placement/work experience are you supposed to do? Not actual teaching, surely? How would any school allow someone who hasn't even started their teaching undergraduate degree to teach their children? Or is this exactly what it means? My son has over 400 hours experience over a two year period helping the teachers of P2,P3 and P6 children. He helped the children individually with their literacy and numeracy and did all sorts of things like displaying their art on the walls. Occasionally one of the teachers would let him mark the children's work; either class work or homework.. But he was never actually stood at the front of the class taking the lesson while the teacher sat there and watched. Is this ( Standing in front of the class actually teaching) what is meant by at least 2 week's experience, and is nothing else good enough? Thanks.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by markova21)
Exactly what sort of work placement/work experience are you supposed to do? Not actual teaching, surely? How would any school allow someone who hasn't even started their teaching undergraduate degree to teach their children? Or is this exactly what it means? My son has over 400 hours experience over a two year period helping the teachers of P2,P3 and P6 children. He helped the children individually with their literacy and numeracy and did all sorts of things like displaying their art on the walls. Occasionally one of the teachers would let him mark the children's work; either class work or homework.. But he was never actually stood at the front of the class taking the lesson while the teacher sat there and watched. Is this ( Standing in front of the class actually teaching) what is meant by at least 2 week's experience, and is nothing else good enough? Thanks.
As you say, it's very unlikely a school will let someone in your son's situation stand up and teach a full class and this isn't what's expected as work experience. It's just about being in the classroom and seeing how a school environment works. The experience he has sounds really great, and I'm sure it will give him lots to talk about in his Personal Statement and at interview.

Some people who apply will have worked as TAs, so they may have more experience, but most applicants will probably have far less in school experience than your son!
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you for explaining this to me, SarcAndSpark
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by markova21)
Thank you for explaining this to me, SarcAndSpark
No worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.67%
Impatient (207)
12.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise