The Student Room Group

Think I'm about to fail

So basically, I've been in first year of medicine at Glasgow, and I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed right now.

We had our final year exams back in May, and I failed quite badly. I definitely didn't do as much work as I should have; I think late on in the year it got to the point where I was so confused about what I was trying to learn that I didn't even know where to begin. I came straight from high school, and I didn't study biology to advanced higher level because of out science department, so right from the start of the year I've just felt like I don't belong at all. Everyone, in every situation, seems to know more than me.

The resit is two exams; one today and one tomorrow. I honestly did try and do a lot more work for this, but coming out of the resit today I feel like it's just all gone to ****. The worst thing is that even though a lot of people had to resit this year, they all came out of the exam saying "oh, it wasn't that bad!" I'm also getting some other students being shocked when I say that I've had to work a 40-50hr/week job this summer. All of them suggested that I "should have asked for time off," as if I wouldn't have done just that if I'd had the option.

I don't know, I just needed to get this off of my chest. I've had quite a **** year with a lot of bad family stuff happening to, and I've just got to the point where the only think keeping me in medicine is the knowledge of how indebted I feel to the people that helped get me here, and how guilty I'd feel if I left.
Original post by RockGirl19
So basically, I've been in first year of medicine at Glasgow, and I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed right now.

We had our final year exams back in May, and I failed quite badly. I definitely didn't do as much work as I should have; I think late on in the year it got to the point where I was so confused about what I was trying to learn that I didn't even know where to begin. I came straight from high school, and I didn't study biology to advanced higher level because of out science department, so right from the start of the year I've just felt like I don't belong at all. Everyone, in every situation, seems to know more than me.

The resit is two exams; one today and one tomorrow. I honestly did try and do a lot more work for this, but coming out of the resit today I feel like it's just all gone to ****. The worst thing is that even though a lot of people had to resit this year, they all came out of the exam saying "oh, it wasn't that bad!" I'm also getting some other students being shocked when I say that I've had to work a 40-50hr/week job this summer. All of them suggested that I "should have asked for time off," as if I wouldn't have done just that if I'd had the option.

I don't know, I just needed to get this off of my chest. I've had quite a **** year with a lot of bad family stuff happening to, and I've just got to the point where the only think keeping me in medicine is the knowledge of how indebted I feel to the people that helped get me here, and how guilty I'd feel if I left.

With med school exams, I don't think it's helpful to analyse how you feel straight afterwards or to listen to what other people (especially other medics) say about how they found it. I know it's easy for me to say this without being in your shoes, but you have an important exam tomorrow and 50% of your result is still up for grabs. By all means vent, but try not to give in to despair or hopelessness. You can do this :smile:

Have you told your tutor about your home and work circumstances? When do you get your resit results?
Reply 2
Like I say to every medical student on here who is convinced that they have failed - you don’t know you have failed until you get the news in hand. It’s pretty pointless and counter-productive to be talking about failure when you haven’t even done your second exam yet. Today might have gone badly but tomorrow could go amazingly well and help you pass! Don’t listen to what other people are saying - medics very often come out with a lot of BS about how they think their exams went, just to psych people out. Block all that out and focus only on yourself and your own performance. Give it everything for tomorrow and that’s all you can do for now.

9 times out of 10, medical students on TSR have premature delusions of failure and then pass anyway, realise they had nothing to worry about and they were stressing for no reason. I think you fall into the same bracket and you will pass regardless. I wish you good luck for your exams and results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending