MScR in History of Art at University of Edinburgh Watch

taylor9888
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, I am applying for an MScR in History of Art at University of Edinburgh to start in Fall 2020. I have already reached out to a potential supervisor with a research proposal and they seemed optimistic about my submission of a formal application to the University. With my application, I have to submit a research proposal of 3,000 words. The proposal needs to include aims, context, method, and impact. I have focused heavily on honing my research topic and have a lot of experience with research at the undergraduate level, but I am a bit nervous about choosing the appropriate formatting for my proposal. I attend a University that does not cover methodologies in research classes, so I have never had to pick a specific method for a paper. If my project is based on archival research, can I simply state that I am using archival methodologies? Should I go into more depth? Also, does anyone have suggestions on a specific format and/or examples they might be willing to share? I feel that I am a strong applicant in all other admissions criteria. I am first in my class (GPA of 4.0 and part of the honors program), recipient of multiple research grants and academic conference awards, student body president, and 1,500 hours of community service. I do not say this to sound overly confident or snotty, but I would be grateful to receive feedback from anyone who has gone through the Edinburgh application process at the MScR level to hear what was successful/unsuccessful in their application.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by taylor9888)
Hello, I am applying for an MScR in History of Art at University of Edinburgh to start in Fall 2020. I have already reached out to a potential supervisor with a research proposal and they seemed optimistic about my submission of a formal application to the University. With my application, I have to submit a research proposal of 3,000 words. The proposal needs to include aims, context, method, and impact. I have focused heavily on honing my research topic and have a lot of experience with research at the undergraduate level, but I am a bit nervous about choosing the appropriate formatting for my proposal. I attend a University that does not cover methodologies in research classes, so I have never had to pick a specific method for a paper. If my project is based on archival research, can I simply state that I am using archival methodologies? Should I go into more depth? Also, does anyone have suggestions on a specific format and/or examples they might be willing to share? I feel that I am a strong applicant in all other admissions criteria. I am first in my class (GPA of 4.0 and part of the honors program), recipient of multiple research grants and academic conference awards, student body president, and 1,500 hours of community service. I do not say this to sound overly confident or snotty, but I would be grateful to receive feedback from anyone who has gone through the Edinburgh application process at the MScR level to hear what was successful/unsuccessful in their application.
Your potential supervisor should be able to advise on all of this as it will be specific to the uni and course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%