Student8463
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Helloooo
Last year I had to choose between Liverpool and Leicester, and have just finished my first med school year at Leicester. I really enjoyed it but I can’t help thinking that I should’ve chosen Liverpool... please can someone convince me that I have made the right choice ! There’s nothing I can do now, but I keep hearing mixed reviews about both!
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student8463)
Helloooo
Last year I had to choose between Liverpool and Leicester, and have just finished my first med school year at Leicester. I really enjoyed it but I can’t help thinking that I should’ve chosen Liverpool... please can someone convince me that I have made the right choice ! There’s nothing I can do now, but I keep hearing mixed reviews about both!
Dunno how someone can convince u tbh

I’m sure you’ve had some good experiences at your current uni so just think about that rather than worrying about other unis
adri2000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Helloooo
What exactly is making you regret it?
adri2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Helloooo
If you've really enjoyed it, you made the right choice. At the end of the day, you'll be a doctor either way- so unlike other subjects, where you did the course doesn't really matter.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah nothing you can do about it now and no point asking “what if” because it will distract you from your studies. Why do you feel you need convincing that you made the right choice? Are you struggling in Leicester and what is it about Liverpool that makes you think you should have gone there? Is there something about Leicester that is making you doubt your decision to go there?

I don’t know anything about Liverpool except PBL which I would hate to be a part of, but I also think the cumulative nature of exams at Leicester are cruel. For example, having to revise everything from 1st, 2nd and 3rd year for your 3rd year exams - that sounds insane. Then again, graduating in Medicine is a huge achievement wherever you get your degree. There are pros and cons to each place so I’m sure you’re worrying about nothing and the grass is not necessarily greener in Liverpool.
Student8463
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks guys!
It’s just the little things like wondering whether I would’ve fit in more, or whether I the teaching is better etc. I’m thinking about foundation years (a bit early I know) and I was thinking that I probably would prefer living in Liverpool rather than Leicester in the future (although I’m not saying I want to live in Liverpool, but it’s a nicer city than Leicester)
But I think I just have to get over it and focus on the positives
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
PS. Just a few things to think about : Your future patients will not ask you where you trained. There is no 'better' Med School - all are accredited by the GMC. You have a place to read Medicine - and other people would give up limbs for that opportunity. Stop focusing on 'what if' and enjoy what you have.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks guys!
It’s just the little things like wondering whether I would’ve fit in more, or whether I the teaching is better etc. I’m thinking about foundation years (a bit early I know) and I was thinking that I probably would prefer living in Liverpool rather than Leicester in the future (although I’m not saying I want to live in Liverpool, but it’s a nicer city than Leicester)
But I think I just have to get over it and focus on the positives
It doesn't matter where you trained when you start working, I left my med school area and never worked where I went for uni.
Rainy Times
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by asif007)
Yeah nothing you can do about it now and no point asking “what if” because it will distract you from your studies. Why do you feel you need convincing that you made the right choice? Are you struggling in Leicester and what is it about Liverpool that makes you think you should have gone there? Is there something about Leicester that is making you doubt your decision to go there?

I don’t know anything about Liverpool except PBL which I would hate to be a part of, but I also think the cumulative nature of exams at Leicester are cruel. For example, having to revise everything from 1st, 2nd and 3rd year for your 3rd year exams - that sounds insane. Then again, graduating in Medicine is a huge achievement wherever you get your degree. There are pros and cons to each place so I’m sure you’re worrying about nothing and the grass is not necessarily greener in Liverpool.
Speaking as someone who goes to another uni that does the cumulative exams thing, I think it's a good thing. Finals would be so stressful otherwise. Yes it makes our "in house" 3rd and 4th year exams tricky, but since we're all in the same boat it has the same effect on all of us RE deciles etc, so it doesn't really matter. Then it makes the written part of finals much more chilled than it otherwise would be (since you basically revised most of the curriculum in the preceding 2 years anyway).

But anyway don't sweat it OP, just make the most of your experience at Leicester. As others have said your ability to pick and choose where you work your Foundation years isn't influenced by where you go to medical school.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rainy Times)
Speaking as someone who goes to another uni that does the cumulative exams thing, I think it's a good thing. Finals would be so stressful otherwise. Yes it makes our "in house" 3rd and 4th year exams tricky, but since we're all in the same boat it has the same effect on all of us RE deciles etc, so it doesn't really matter. Then it makes the written part of finals much more chilled than it otherwise would be (since you basically revised most of the curriculum in the preceding 2 years anyway).

But anyway don't sweat it OP, just make the most of your experience at Leicester. As others have said your ability to pick and choose where you work your Foundation years isn't influenced by where you go to medical school.
I only speak according to the experiences I’ve listened to from people I know who are currently at or have been at Leicester. I have a friend who failed 3rd year there after really struggling with the cumulative nature of exams on top of OSCE’s. And I have a relative in 2nd year who has repeated the end of year exams both years running. It just seems like unnecessary stress and overwork designed to hinder or prevent people from becoming doctors. Obviously it doesn’t make any difference to any of you individually because you’re all in the same boat. But as someone who observes from outside, has seen how Medicine is taught at other universities and had the opportunity to compare, I don’t see the benefit of cumulative exams. Even integrated end of year assessments which test all the content from one whole year at a time are not as overkill as that. Modular and integrated exams all have pre-requisites that you must have passed the previous exams in order to sit them, hence that confirms you already have the required knowledge from the previous years. I see no reason why anyone should have to learn everything for 1st year exams, pass them and then learn 1st year all over again to sit at the end of 2nd year.

This is just my two cents. Like I say, I’ve seen different methods of assessment in different places but I do think the nature of exams makes a difference to pass rates. Medicine is hard wherever you go, but the style of exams can make the difference between pass and fail. Modular exams, for example, are much kinder IMO. If you fail one, you only have one module to revise for the next attempt. If you fail one part of an integrated or cumulative which results in failing the whole thing, you have to revise entire year(s) worth of content. Obviously it’s all good for people who pass first time round, have nothing to worry about and have no experience of failure. But for people who struggle, it can be really intimidating.
Last edited by asif007; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
23.03%
Excited but a bit nervous (142)
44.79%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.99%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed