Applying for a master's loan - "Living in the UK for 3 years prior to your course sta Watch

Rzg
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this question!

I am a British (UK) Citizen who has been living in Canada on a Working Holiday Permit since January 2019. I am planning to apply to for a master's in the UK, to start in September 2020.

I have been researching eligibility for Student Finance England Master's loans, and am really surprised and confused by the following criteria specifically, in order to be eligible for a SFE loan:

"[you must have] have lived in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the past three years."

Does that mean that I have to have lived in the UK for three whole consecutive years, up until my master's starting date, in order to be given a loan? Or does it mean that I have to have lived in the UK at some point within the last 3 years? I am still a resident of the UK, and my family live there also.

On a side-note - why is this a rule?! So many people choose to travel on a gap year between bachelor's and master's degrees. Does that make all of those people ineligible for a loan too?

Any help or clarification would be much appreciated! Thank you.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rzg)
Hi there,

I am a British (UK) Citizen who has been living in Canada on a Working Holiday Permit since January 2019. I am planning to apply to for a master's in the UK, to start in September 2020.

I have been researching eligibility for Student Finance England Master's loans, and am really surprised and confused by the following criteria specifically, in order to be eligible for a SFE loan:

"[you must have] have lived in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the past three years."

Does that mean that I have to have lived in the UK for three whole consecutive years, up until my master's starting date, in order to be given a loan? Or does it mean that I have to have lived in the UK at some point within the last 3 years? I am still a resident of the UK, and my family live there also.

On a side-note - why is this a rule?! So many people choose to travel on a gap year between bachelor's and master's degrees. Does that make all of those people ineligible for a loan too?

It just requires 3 years residence in the UK. Temp absences do not invalidate this. You will be fine.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rzg)
Hi there,

If you can show that you always intended to return to the UK (i.e. you weren't planning on emigrating to Canada), then you should be fine. A friend of mine taught English in China for two years prior to starting his master's degree, and he still managed to get a postgraduate loan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.78%
Terrified (382)
22.2%
Meh (172)
9.99%
Confused (37)
2.15%