What are the top 3 most useful degrees

Watch
BrandonS15
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m going to start A-Levels in September but I’m unsure about my future. I’d say my strong points are mathematics and science, although I prefer the former.
I also like computer science for the primary reason that I’m gifted to be able to code.
I’m looking for opinions here - what are the top 3 most useful degrees that provide most opportunity in well paid sectors?

Format:
1 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

2 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

3 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

Where 1 is your most useful degree.

Thanks and I’m waiting to hear all your opinions.

P.S: I wasn’t sure which forum to post in so I just went for chat if you feel it has a better place, it would be appriciated if moved to the respective place.
Last edited by BrandonS15; 1 year ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Valerie Holiday, Helen Scott and Freddie Pool
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Valerie Holiday, Helen Scott and Freddie Pool
😂 Funny. But I’m actually looking for opinions to become knowledgeable on suitable degrees.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrandonS15)
😂 Funny. But I’m actually looking for opinions to become knowledgeable on suitable degrees.
they're all loaded
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m going to start A-Levels in September but I’m unsure about my future. I’d say my strong points are mathematics and science, although I prefer the former.
I also like computer science for the primary reason that I’m gifted to be able to code.
I’m looking for opinions here - what are the top 3 most useful degrees that provide most opportunity in well paid sectors?

Format:
1 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

2 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

3 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

P.S: I wasn’t sure which forum to post in so I just went for chat if you feel it has a better place, it would be appriciated if moved to the respective place.
1- maths.
Very applicable in all fields, and demonstrates wide problem solving ability

2- computer science.
As the world becomes more dependant on computers, every field will begin to need computer scientists behind it to keep everything running.

3- physics/engineering
Both important fields for humanity's development, but more so they demonstrate hard working and a good problem solving ability (like maths). In a sense they are applicable in the same way maths are
Last edited by MagnumKoishi; 1 year ago
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
Is a pure mathematics degree useful? If so how useful would you say? Would it allow me into sectors like Artificial Intelligence or would there be alternatives for that sector?
Last edited by BrandonS15; 1 year ago
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
1- maths.
Very applicable in all fields, and demonstrates wide problem solving ability

2- computer science.
As the world becomes more dependant on computers, every field will begin to need computer scientists behind it to keep everything running.

3- physics/engineering
Both important fields for humanities development, but more so they demonstrate hard working and a good problem solving ability (like maths). In a sense they are applicable in the same way maths are
Cambridge use to do the maths and computer science mixed degree and it was recently removed. Do you think they will add something similar back as an option in the future (2-3 years)? Also which other universities provide maths/comp science mixed degree and which would be the ideal choice?
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge use to do the maths and computer science mixed degree and it was recently removed. Do you think they will add something similar back as an option in the future (2-3 years)? Also which other universities provide maths/comp science mixed degree and which would be the ideal choice?
Don't they do it now? I'm a cambridge offer holder for this year (phys natsci) and I know a fair few offer holders for maths with computer science in the offer holder group. It's a shame if they're removing it next year.

And unfortunately I don't know, I've not researched it. Although I do love programming and I've been doing it for years, it's never been more than a hobby. I'm going for physics at uni so I can't advise you too much for computer science degrees.
username4762440
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Eating
Breathing
Reading
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
Don't they do it now? I'm a cambridge offer holder for this year (phys natsci) and I know a fair few offer holders for maths with computer science in the offer holder group. It's a shame if they're removing it next year.

And unfortunately I don't know, I've not researched it. Although I do love programming and I've been doing it for years, it's never been more than a hobby. I'm going for physics at uni so I can't advise you too much for computer science degrees.
What do you plan to do in the future?
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Medicine
German Science
Bumder Studies
username4889668
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really wanna be annoying and say acute, right-angled and obtuse.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In terms of actual contribution to society probably medicine, law and engineering but that's not really the criterion you're going for

For you maybe consider joint maths and computing, or maths and physics or maybe straight physics. Or maybe software engineering or information engineering? If you're interested in AI and algorithms and stuff like that, maths would be quite relevant. But then so would comp sci.

At the end of the day you should pick the one for which you're most sure that you actually want to learn about it for 3-4 years.

(Original post by Kristen1283)
Really wanna be annoying and say acute, right-angled and obtuse.
Those are types of angles, not degrees
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"Useful" is a relative term, and depends a lot on what you want to do. For example, if you want to go into medicine, the only "useful" degree is a medical degree. If you don't want to go into medicine a medical degree is fairly pointless. The most useful degree for someone who wants to become a curator at the British Museum is going to be very different to the most useful degree for someone who wants to go into web development. You can't really make sweeping generalisations about such things; although many might reflexively suggest courses such as CS or Law, these perspectives are skewed by potential earnings, rather than the likely case.

For the legal sector, for example, a law degree isn't required to apply to training contracts at solicitors' firms, and there are far more law grads (not even including non-law grads also applying) than there are TC positions available. Many students can get a law degree and simply be unable to get a position in the legal sector even if they wanted to. Similarly for CS, a CS degree in of itself doesn't mean you're going to work at Facebook or Google, or even just in software development generally. The employability statistics for CS grads in the UK are so poor the government has undertaken two inquiries into the matter. The average CS grad doesn't do much better than the average grad in most other subjects (and can well end up doing worse).
Alexty28
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1) Memeology
2) Gender Studies
3) Golf Management
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alexty28)
1) Memeology
2) Gender Studies
3) Golf Management
You might not know but what you mean by memeology is a real field of study. It's actually called "memetics"
uni20188
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You might not know but what you mean by memeology is a real field of study. It's actually called "memetics"
Omg lolllll. What do you even study for three years exactly ?
HasanQ585
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm an offer holder for Imperial's joint Maths and CS course, that's probably the best one along with Oxford's. There's also Manchester, Bristol, Durham (by way of natural sciences) and Edinburgh, just to name some. UCL have a course called Mathematical Computation (my insurance) and Warwick have Discrete Maths as well as Data Science
Student Roost - Swansea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Format:
1 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

2 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

3 - (Degree)
Brief reason.

Hi BrandonS15,
Before you choose the best degree you'll need to ask yourself What course am i interested in? and Am i passionate about it? Enjoying the degree is the most important than choosing the best degree. The best degree (I am interested in and passionate about) for me was:
A. Computer Science
1. We are living in the digital age and it needs computer scientists
2. Computer science students have excellent graduate prospects
3. You earn high salary
4. Computer scientists are needed in every type of industry
5. You'll be exposed to different cultures and potentially finish uni with an international network of contacts to utilise later in life.
The second degree for me would be:
B. Business & Administration
1. Introduce you to marketing, human resources, accounting, ICT, customer care. So it has lots of job opportunities.
2. Business & Administration are all about developing your interpersonal skills so that you feel more confident dealing with people in the workplace.
3. You will learn how to use the most up-to-date ICT Microsoft packages.
4. Improves your communication.
The third degree for me would be:
C. Engineering
1. Engineering is the field that solves the most impactful of our problems in the world, like creating clean energy or detecting cancer.
2. Very high salary
3. Job Satisfaction. It's important to find a career that you enjoy.
4. Variety of Career Opportunities.
I hope the above is useful to you 😊
Wishing best of luck!
Kind Regards,
Essam 😊
MSc & BSc Computer Science
Last edited by Student Roost - Swansea; 1 year ago
江山此刻波澜壮阔
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I`m glad you are interested in computer science.
Are you boy or girl?
I think IT and AI(robot science) is the most important
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads