Do "extra" B grades look worse to universities? Watch

AnimatorOfSouls
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm planning on applying to medicine (at Edinburgh) where the standard requirements are AAAAB at Highers. I meet the grades they ask for with 5As and 2Bs (single year), but will the 2Bs I got make my application look worse?

The As were for English, Maths, Computing, Mandarin, and Biology.
The Bs were for Chemistry and Physics.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AnimatorOfSouls)
I'm planning on applying to medicine (at Edinburgh) where the standard requirements are AAAAB at Highers. I meet the grades they ask for with 5As and 2Bs (single year), but will the 2Bs I got make my application look worse?

The As were for English, Maths, Computing, Mandarin, and Biology.
The Bs were for Chemistry and Physics.
Are you a native speaker of Mandarin? If so, then they may not count it and you'll end up having 4 As and 2 Bs which wouldn't be ideal for Medicine.

The only somewhat concerning grade is Higher Chem. What AH subjects will you be doing?
muta23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
First of all, well done on your grades- 5A’s is definitely an achievement to be celebrated for! Edinburgh requirements for medicine are 4A’s and a B however, since you have a B at chemistry unfortunately I think this may severely weaken your application as the majority of candidates, if not all, have an A at higher chemistry- it may be worthwhile getting a remark for chemistry if you want to apply for medicine as this is the only downfall of your grades.
AnimatorOfSouls
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Are you a native speaker of Mandarin? If so, then they may not count it and you'll end up having 4 As and 2 Bs which wouldn't be ideal for Medicine.

The only somewhat concerning grade is Higher Chem. What AH subjects will you be doing?
Not a native speaker, and for AH I'll do Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and maybe Computing. I missed an A in Chem by 1 mark so I'm sending it in to get remarked :/ it's unlikely to get changed but I can still hope.
AnimatorOfSouls
Rep:
?
(Original post by muta23)
First of all, well done on your grades- 5A’s is definitely an achievement to be celebrated for! Edinburgh requirements for medicine are 4A’s and a B however, since you have a B at chemistry unfortunately I think this may severely weaken your application as the majority of candidates, if not all, have an A at higher chemistry- it may be worthwhile getting a remark for chemistry if you want to apply for medicine as this is the only downfall of your grades.
Yep I'm sending it in for a remark since I only missed by 1 mark. I assumed that getting a B in Chemistry would be really bad for medicine ;-; rip
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not a native speaker, and for AH I'll do Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and maybe Computing. I missed an A in Chem by 1 mark so I'm sending it in to get remarked :/ it's unlikely to get changed but I can still hope.
Not being a native speaker of Mandarin will definitely help your application further. 4 AHs seems a little overkill. Could you not do 3 and try to arrange as much relevant work-experience as possible?

Are you 100% certain on Medicine? If so, I don't think you need to do so many different subjects.
muta23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1 mark away definitely sounds annoying but hopefully it will go up! Yh, try to get that A in chemistry and I see nothing wrong with your grades for medicine. In terms of your AH personally, I wouldn’t recommend doing four as that would be a lot of unnecessary stress and may have an impact on your performance overall- definitely stick to three imo!
AnimatorOfSouls
Rep:
?
Not being a native speaker of Mandarin will definitely help your application further. 4 AHs seems a little overkill. Could you not do 3 and try to arrange as much relevant work-experience as possible?

Are you 100% certain on Medicine? If so, I don't think you need to do so many different subjects.
I'm split between medicine and computing, hence the computing AH, but I could drop it since it isn't actually required in order to do computing at uni. I'm planning on doing a bunch of work experience (as much as I can find) but time shouldn't be too much of an issue, even if I take 4 AHs - those B's were entirely because I was irresponsible when I was revising and didn't do as much as I should've.
AnimatorOfSouls
Rep:
?
(Original post by muta23)
1 mark away definitely sounds annoying but hopefully it will go up! Yh, try to get that A in chemistry and I see nothing wrong with your grades for medicine. In terms of your AH personally, I wouldn’t recommend doing four as that would be a lot of unnecessary stress and may have an impact on your performance overall- definitely stick to three imo!
Yeah, I might drop computing later on in the year if I'm not getting good As in all subjects.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm split between medicine and computing, hence the computing AH, but I could drop it since it isn't actually required in order to do computing at uni. I'm planning on doing a bunch of work experience (as much as I can find) but time shouldn't be too much of an issue, even if I take 4 AHs - those B's were entirely because I was irresponsible when I was revising and didn't do as much as I should've.
What universities are you thinking of going to?

The only thing is that - it looks like you're doing too much. It's great and everything that you're getting excellent grades; but, there's not really an advantage to having 4 AHs instead of 3 (apart from bragging rights) or 7 instead of 5. If I were you, I'd much rather focus my time and energy to what I wanted to do. You also need to relax and have fun.

I've ended up getting many opportunities/jobs simply because they found my interests and hobbies cool.
AnimatorOfSouls
Rep:
?
What universities are you thinking of going to?

The only thing is that - it looks like you're doing too much. It's great and everything that you're getting excellent grades; but, there's not really an advantage to having 4 AHs instead of 3 (apart from bragging rights) or 7 instead of 5. If I were you, I'd much rather focus my time and energy to what I wanted to do. You also need to relax and have fun.

I've ended up getting many opportunities/jobs simply because they found my interests and hobbies cool.
Edinburgh or St Andrews for Medicine, Glasgow for Computing.

You make a good point about doing too much. I'm here talking like AH will take the same amount of time as highers did (as in, not much outside of school) when I know that the AH assignments are much more complex, aka they will take longer, plus just overall difficulty increase. Maybe that time would be better spent on doing other things, although "other things" would amount to building semi-functional robots and playing video games. Not quite sure what would be more helpful.

Really, at this point I'm just taking 4 AHs to compensate for those less-than-good grades in the hopes that the extra AH will give the universities a tiny tiny bit more of a reason to give me an offer.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
x
How well does your school generally perform? Are there loads of people getting 5 As and going to prestigious universities?
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 week ago
AnimatorOfSouls
Rep:
?
How well does your school generally perform? Are there loads of people getting 5 As and going to prestigious universities?
Not sure what your definition of "loads" is but there are definitely more people than average that get 5As in my school (which of course lowers my chances even more...)
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not sure what your definition of "loads" is but there are definitely more people than average that get 5As in my school (which of course lowers my chances even more...)
I meant loads as in dozens.

Doing an extra AH wouldn't really increase your chances for Medicine, in my opinion. More work experience and good predictions for Bio and Chem might. That said, if you don't think the workload would be tough, go for 4 AHs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (16)
17.2%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
13.98%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (23)
24.73%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (34)
36.56%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.08%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.45%