Cambridge or Nottingham history master's Watch

PMilleryKnave
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, this is my first post on this forum with this account and first since I applied for undergrad back in 2013, so it's been a long time!

For some background, I graduated with a first in my history degree from Cambridge back in 2017 and have been working and considering my further study options since then.

I am currently facing a bit of a trilemma: I have offers for both Nottingham's History MA and the Cambridge MPhil in Modern British History, and am trying to decide between doing one of those two, or (as I was unfortunately not successful in my funding applications this year) staying in work for another year and trying again with scholarships. For various reasons I believe I may have a better chance with them next year.

Both courses to me seem equally suited to my historical interests, but as I am self-funding the additional cost of the course at Cambridge is putting me off somewhat (with higher fees and living costs I estimate this could be at least 4 grand higher). Is the prestige of Cambridge at postgrad really worth this extra expense, especially as my undergrad degree was from there, i.e. would it potentially help with PhD applications in future?

Unfortunately as I have been so indecisive about this I now need to make my final decision very quickly in terms of handing in my notice at work, so I would really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer!

Edit: I should also add that another reason it would a lot cheaper at Nottingham is that I'd be living with my partner, so obviously that will cut down on a lot of expenses, besides the fact it also appeals because, you know, I like spending more time with them!
Last edited by PMilleryKnave; 2 weeks ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PMilleryKnave)
Yes, the Cambridge name is worth more, but it sounds like there could be a benefit in waiting a year and getting some funding - especially if you are working in anything relevant.
PMilleryKnave
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Yes, the Cambridge name is worth more, but it sounds like there could be a benefit in waiting a year and getting some funding - especially if you are working in anything relevant.
But assuming that I don't get funding, is it worth a great deal of extra expense to go back there (when I already have Cambridge on my CV for undergrad), as I don't believe at postgrad level the 'prestige' of the university is as important?

Thank you for your reply.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But assuming that I don't get funding, is it worth a great deal of extra expense to go back there (when I already have Cambridge on my CV for undergrad), as I don't believe at postgrad level the 'prestige' of the university is as important?

Thank you for your reply.
In my experience (which is plenty more than average on TSR) then it works rationally, the harder the degree the more people are impressed. Prestige works the same wherever, you get a harder degree, more prestige.

There's a lot of inverse snobbery around here. But in fact, if you consider that the 'prestige factor' works as I describe above for 100% of the world outside your narrow slice of academia, and within Cambridge, and everywhere overseas. Then the only place where a higher degree from Cambridge won't carry a higher value than a higher degree from another university is within the narrow band of, for example, Cold War historians in UK History departments in research intensive universities (because the teaching unis are all about prestige hunting). So unless you know that your career is going to rely entirely on circling around RG+ history departments - Cambridge offers more value.
PMilleryKnave
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
In my experience (which is plenty more than average on TSR) then it works rationally, the harder the degree the more people are impressed. Prestige works the same wherever, you get a harder degree, more prestige.

There's a lot of inverse snobbery around here. But in fact, if you consider that the 'prestige factor' works as I describe above for 100% of the world outside your narrow slice of academia, and within Cambridge, and everywhere overseas. Then the only place where a higher degree from Cambridge won't carry a higher value than a higher degree from another university is within the narrow band of, for example, Cold War historians in UK History departments in research intensive universities (because the teaching unis are all about prestige hunting). So unless you know that your career is going to rely entirely on circling around RG+ history departments - Cambridge offers more value.
Thank you for your advice, lots to think about.
PMilleryKnave
Rep:
?
Thank you for your advice, lots to think about.
If anyone else has any input to offer then that would be very much appreciated as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.78%
Terrified (382)
22.2%
Meh (172)
9.99%
Confused (37)
2.15%