Postgrad Teaching Watch

OneWayOrAnother
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I’m going into my final year at university where I am studying Business and Management. I have been thinking about post university and I want to go into primary education.

I have just spoken to teach me and they’ve said to me that I can’t go into primary education I would have to go to teaching business (which I DO NOT want to-do) but does anyone have any ideas to get into primary education. They told me that they won’t accept me based on my degree and A-levels (Business, History and Politics)
OneWayOrAnother
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Sorry it’s teach first not teach me
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by OneWayOrAnother)
So I’m going into my final year at university where I am studying Business and Management. I have been thinking about post university and I want to go into primary education.

I have just spoken to teach me and they’ve said to me that I can’t go into primary education I would have to go to teaching business (which I DO NOT want to-do) but does anyone have any ideas to get into primary education. They told me that they won’t accept me based on my degree and A-levels (Business, History and Politics)
Teach First often have more specific ideas about what they want from their trainees than other programs- partly because they throw people in at the deep end, and also perhaps because some subjects are harder for them to fill than others.

There are loads of other routes into primary teaching that could be open to you:

PGCE: This is a one year post grad course run by universities. You'd still spend most of your time in school but you'd also complete masters level work and have some uni based sessions. This is the "traditional" way of getting into teaching, and most teachers still come through this route. You can fund this through student loans, regardless of whatever student loans you've had in the past.

Schools Direct: This is usually a balance between a PGCE and a school centered approach. You'd spend most of your time in a "home" school with a short placement elsewhere- you'll also have some taught sessions with a partner uni and your school's "teaching alliance" too. Often going through the school's direct route offers you some help into employment too- e.g. guaranteed interviews within your school's teaching alliance. There are some salaried places available, but these are usually aimed at people with lots of in school experience e.g. they've previously worked as a TA. Otherwise you'd do an unsalaried route and fund this through loans.

SCITT: This stands for school centered initial teacher training. In structure, these are similar to schools direct programs, but they're usually less closely affiliated with a uni, and often exist in areas that uni PGCEs etc don't cover. They sometimes offer a bit more flexibility than the other courses. These can be funded through student loans.

I hope this helps and you're able to find a suitable course next year!
bwilliams
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by OneWayOrAnother)

You can go into primary education with a business and management degree. You just need to follow one of the routes above. I wouldn't recommend teach first as a teacher training option anyway. You are better off following one of the routes stated in the above post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%