How long you should know someone for untill you get married Watch

quintsy
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
I think it's less time dependent, and more to do with the nature of your relationship. You really can't generalise; some people might get married within a year of initially going out with each other, whereas for others it may take several years.
fatal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
when I can afford it, I can't see how at 18/19 you can afford a wedding. Especially with university looming.

My boyfriend and I discussing getting married the other day, I think we'll leave it for a few years yet.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by candy x)
see thats what i always thought....but love does silly things to your senses!!!!!!
It does indeed. But I'm in love and still have this view, so it's not impossible to be a bit sensible
A Stranger in Moscow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
10 years
FizzBitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's no set time, I guess it just depends on the people and how quickly the relationship develops. My parents got engaged after being together for just over 4 months I think, and got married a year after that, and 25 years later they are still married and happy.
However I don't really agree with the idea of young couples getting married, especially when they haven't known eachother for long. Young people tend to get carried away with the idea of romance when they actually don't know eachother that well, plus you change so much between the ages of 16-25 that the person you like now might be completley wrong for you in a few years time.
Also I think before you decide to get married it's best to be already living with them, and to have spent time with them in a lot of different situations, because you will know whether you are "compatible" and if you can happily spend your future with them.
bekahchu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't like the idea of marriage in many ways i.e. I don't need a piece of paper to show I love someone, and divorce can be so messy.

But I reckon it depends on the individuals involved, if someone is right for you then you just know.

But remember, marriage entitles them to half!
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My girlfriend proposed after three and a bit years, I said no, I told her I wanted to be living with her for a while before I asked her. It was a difficult situation and I hadn't the money to get a place together.

Then she got engaged to her "best friend", and married him a year later.

Saying no is my biggest regret, I think about it almost every day, still four years on.

Marcus
i_<3_you
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
minimum, id say maybe 3 months and max 5 yrs for me....

as someone said earlier, yeh it does also depend on culture and religion...
i mean, im a muslim and bengali, arranged marriages go on..soo hmm, soo youll have about a year to know your guy, and then get married, lol..
i_<3_you
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by marcusfox)
My girlfriend proposed after three and a bit years, I said no, I told her I wanted to be living with her for a while before I asked her. It was a difficult situation and I hadn't the money to get a place together.

Saying no is my biggest regret, I think about it almost every day, still four years on.

Marcus

awww, im sorry......
but in a way, it could be a good thing, as you said, you didnt have enough money, and you wanted to know her, and if you did get married to her, she wouldnt probably be happy, as you didnt have enough things to support her with.
*hugs*
Talya
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been with my bf for 4.5 yrs but because of our age we didn't consider marriage before now. It's different for everyone. I've know he's 'the one' the whole time I've known him but there's no rush to marry because we'll be happy either way
cuddles x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago

Marcus
Im sorry to hear that marcus x x x

its non of my business but if you had the chance would you have said yes ?
cuddles x
Rep:
?
i still cant beleive people know eachother for 3 weeks and get married . x
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont know i dont think its possible to put a time or date on these things as it is so different for every person you meet in your life.
marcusfox
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cuddles x)
Im sorry to hear that marcus x x x

its non of my business but if you had the chance would you have said yes ?
If we'd been living together for some time up until that point and I wasn't flat broke yeah, which I did tell her in my explanation as to why I said no.

Marcus
chloecouture
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would want to know someone for at least about three years before getting married and to have lived with them for about a year before because i wouldn't want to rush things. But my sister always said that she would have to be with someone for about five years if she was going to marry him but now shes getting married in October to someone she only met last September so i suppose it depends.
Dionysia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Marcus
So sorry to hear that =(. But if she went and did that to you in the end...maybe she wasn't the right person. You sound like you deserve better.
cuddles x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dionysia)
So sorry to hear that =(. But if she went and did that to you in the end...maybe she wasn't the right person. You sound like you deserve better.

agreed ... you do deserve much better x
marcusfox
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dionysia)
Sure, but she took me to see Spiderman for my birthday despite being pathologically afraid of spiders.

Marcus
strictnlong
Report 11 years ago
60 shags
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Your mate talks nonsense, OP :p: My boyfriend and I have been together 3.5 years and there's certainly been no loss of connection. You absolutely shouldn't get married to paper over the cracks out of a mistaken belief that you'll be able to stop a 'loss of connection' happening - that's really stupid.

I think all these random occasional tales you hear of people getting engaged after 2 months and then staying married for 30+ years are really rare and you can't make a decision based on these exceptional stories. Of course it might 'feel right' after a month or two - it's the honeymoon period, everything will! My boyfriend and I knew we wanted to marry one another 4-6 months into the relationship, but it wasn't the right time in our lives to actually do it. There's things feeling right, and things BEING right.

I'd say you ought to have been dating for 5 years by the time you get married. A year really isn't very long in the grand scheme of things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads