How long you should know someone for untill you get married Watch

Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's no real right or wrong answer, just when a couple are both comfortable and ready to take the next step.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by suzie_h)
My other bro proposed to his gf on their 1st anniversary after having never lived with each other.
Are they married yet? Because otherwise how can you know if it's working out yet? The question of the OP is about marriage, not proposal.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally, a year seems too soon. I'd probably be looking at 5+ years, including living together, so we know we're truly compatible and ready for the commitment.
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
What are those meant to be?
Five Phases of a Romantic Relationship:

1. Attraction
- You see someone across a room, at a bar, wherever...and you find yourself strongly physically attracted to them.

2. Honeymoon
- Key phase where you build up a good head of steam to last the rest of the phases. Also called the Idealized Positive Tranference phase. Idealized or perfect partner in your mind, positive attributes transferred onto your partner.

3. Reality
- Two parts; early reality happens the very first time you think 'There's something about this person that bothers me'. Late reality happens when you think 'Can I really make it with this person?'

4. Commitment
- When you decide this is the only person for you right now. Space issues come up...money...

5. Marriage
- Sign a piece of paper, move in together.

http://www.videojug.com/interview/th...a-relationship
suzie_h
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
Are they married yet? Because otherwise how can you know if it's working out yet? The question of the OP is about marriage, not proposal.
No he proposed to her a couple of weeks ago, i never said it wasn't working out, obv i didnt read the first thing well, god :rolleyes:
Jillie Boe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My friend waited a year, they've been together nearly 2 years and she's just had their first baby =]

But they were 28 and 26, so a bit of a difference to most people.

I'd say at least 3 years though.
just_kimberley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cuddles x)
this is a very weird question i know ... but i was talking to a mate and we were talking about how long you would have to being going out with your partner before you decided to get married.

my mate said one year...if you know them for one year and your happy and together and right age to get married then they should ... becuase if you dont get married and just date for over a few years you loose some connection...

however i think you should know the other person for way longer like 4years - i dont know why i think that i just do ... i mean im not going to marry someone after one year of knowing them.
i know people that known people for 7 years before they have gotton married ..

what do you think? on average how long would you have to know the other person for ? x
If it just feels right then you'll know
Saying that, it might feel right, but then you get to know them, and hate their guts :P
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by strawberry)
Five Phases of a Romantic Relationship:

1. Attraction
- You see someone across a room, at a bar, wherever...and you find yourself strongly physically attracted to them.

2. Honeymoon
- Key phase where you build up a good head of steam to last the rest of the phases. Also called the Idealized Positive Tranference phase. Idealized or perfect partner in your mind, positive attributes transferred onto your partner.

3. Reality
- Two parts; early reality happens the very first time you think 'There's something about this person that bothers me'. Late reality happens when you think 'Can I really make it with this person?'

4. Commitment
- When you decide this is the only person for you right now. Space issues come up...money...

5. Marriage
- Sign a piece of paper, move in together.

http://www.videojug.com/interview/th...a-relationship
Ah, we're on the 4th stage then (myself and my other half, I mean).

Though we did live together for a while, heh - but that was because it was convenient, not because we particularly wanted to live together at the time. So that doesn't count.
qubog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cuddles x)
this is a very weird question i know ... but i was talking to a mate and we were talking about how long you would have to being going out with your partner before you decided to get married.

my mate said one year...if you know them for one year and your happy and together and right age to get married then they should ... becuase if you dont get married and just date for over a few years you loose some connection...

however i think you should know the other person for way longer like 4years - i dont know why i think that i just do ... i mean im not going to marry someone after one year of knowing them.
i know people that known people for 7 years before they have gotton married ..

what do you think? on average how long would you have to know the other person for ? x
FOREVER.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For some reason, I've always thought 2 years. I don't know why, but it just seems like if you've been with someone for 2 years you'd probably know them well enough and be sure that you really loved them enough to marry them.

But it really depends. If you're with someone all the time, maybe you'd be ready after a year, if it's a long-distance relationship and you don't see them much, maybe 5 years. it all depends!

I don't think I'd want to marry someone after less than a year or two, as romantic as the whole notion is - I'd want to be sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads