EKO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by snmichaels)
Mythbusters showed that even staying 50 feet behind a lorry will give you about 20-30% better economy.

But they also concluded that your general mood has a far bigger effect on your fuel economy, and drafting is dodgy whichever angle you look at it.
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mythbusters showed that even staying 50 feet behind a lorry will give you about 20-30% better economy.
lorries travel at roughly 96kph on a british motorway, which means they are travelling at 26 metres per second. You want people to sit 50 feet behind a lorry, which is 15 metres. That will give you half a second to react and brake if the lorry gets into some sort of trouble which is VERY dangerous. Considering you're supposed to leave a 2 second gap when driving...
snmichaels
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course, that's why they repeated 100 times not to do it. I stay back far enough to see their mirrors, at least. I'm not really trying to argue in favour of slip-streaming a lorry, because it can be extremely dangerous; but unless the lorry can come to an instant stop, I wouldn't panic at ~15m. I wouldn't drive there all day long, but I wouldn't panic either. But don't do it.

Anyway, I get about 30mpg around town in my auto Passat TDi and about 55-60mpg on the motorway. If I move out of London, I'm going to trade in for a manual.
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course, that's why they repeated 100 times not to do it.
You didn't specify that in your post though. If no one had said a word the next few threads I was expecting to see were "I went into the back of a lorry trying to save fuel, is it my fault?" (and yes, I would expect some people to be stupid enough to try it.)
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I love Mythbusters
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Steeps)
You didn't specify that in your post though. If no one had said a word the next few threads I was expecting to see were "I went into the back of a lorry trying to save fuel, is it my fault?" (and yes, I would expect some people to be stupid enough to try it.)
I will not be held responsible for other people's stupidity.
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fuel economy? What's that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads