Joe555
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rosie18)
Which 3 areas of biology would you talk about in relation to the nervous system?
If you had a title along the lines of "nervous system". Do you reckon you could talk about neurones and the eye etc.? Rod cells/cone cells etc.
Rosie18
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Joe555)
If you had a title along the lines of "nervous system". Do you reckon you could talk about neurones and the eye etc.? Rod cells/cone cells etc.
Yeah you could but you have to make sure you take information from 3 out of the 5 sectors of biology eg:

Cell biology
Biochemistry
Ecology
Physiology
Genes and genetics

Otherwise you wont get your 3 marks for breadth.
Joe555
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So i'm guessing cell biology=mod 1
biochemistry = mod 1
ecology = mod 5
Physiology = mod 6 + 2
genes = mod 2+ 5

? I thought we had to include a part from at least 3 different modules? Or is it those topics you posted? Or a combination of the two?
Rosie18
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
biochemistry = mod 1
ecology = mod 5
Physiology = mod 6 + 2
genes = mod 2+ 5

? I thought we had to include a part from at least 3 different modules? Or is it those topics you posted? Or a combination of the two?
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. These are the sectors of biology that make up everything we study. They're not specific to our modules beause alot of them overlap. For example when we studied photosynthesis that incorporates biochemistry and ecology. If that makes sense?

Edit: Another way of ensuring you cover all areas of biology is to talk about the title in relation to atleast 3 out of the 5 of the following:

Protoctisae
Prokayrote
fungi
Plant
Animal
vibushan
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
for unit 8 is everyone just revising the whole syllabus, cos i cant think of any other way, which is looong
fivestarrambler
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Haha...i'm screwedd for this exam
djdan1990
Report 11 years ago
i wish we could predict what was going to come up....!
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh dear gosh, this module is going to be pure hell.
And last year's paper had it's analytical question on Module 6, so looks like we wont be lucky enough to get a large chunk of it on module 6, which sucks, as i can't remember much of the other modules...grrr
marsalltheway
Report 11 years ago
i am just glad mod 4 and 5 are over!!
ive been told by friends that the essay is really easy - the rest of the paper is hard though. i think mod 8 synoptic is alrite though, especially section B. the only downside is mod 8 is the biggest option in synoptic terms!!! how lucky are we.

papers for people:
http://www.biologylessons.net/files/...astpapers.html

can anyone tell me what the main synpotic topics for mod 8 are? i mean obv. we need to know everything, but the specific mod 1-5 topics related to mod 8 section A e.g. oxy-haem diss curves?? please just list it all someone??? thank you!
rachell_
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We haven't been told anything about the essay at our college- seriously it was completely ballsed up. We hadn't even finished the mod 8 course until a couple of days ago and so much for the revision sessions we were meant to be doing - it's absolutely crazy!

I am well and truely buggered for this exam
rachell_
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh yeah as for mod 8 with synoptic I can see a biggie on nervous transmission etc with the disease end of it all. I remember our teacher (who really taught the Microbes & Disease course) saying about tetanus & it's effects etc...

Who knows. If there's something on enzymes I'll be fine I'm okay with enzymes haha.

Module 8 with population & diet is alright I quite like it. As well is the bit on the impacts of a bad diet or bad atmosphere etc, my gran has emphysemia (or however it is spelt) and so I think (maybe not) I know a bit about it already
yoyozone
Report 11 years ago
biochemistry = mod 1
ecology = mod 5
Physiology = mod 6 + 2
genes = mod 2+ 5

we where told to include something from each module from across the syllabus to get hte breadth marks....but the way the textbook by bill indge (guy who sets papers) says to do it is by choosing those 5 topics or 5 kingdoms and those which are relevant
Lunty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its such a nice 18th birthday present
rachell_
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd like a question on cell adaptation I think - I know they've already done it before. I think i'm just obsessed with mitochondria though... haha.
rachell_
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lunty)
Its such a nice 18th birthday present
You're birthday on the day?
I'm lucky My birthday is after the exams (25th Yay) so I don't need to worry about holding back on the celebrations haha
Lunty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rachell_)
You're birthday on the day?
I'm lucky My birthday is after the exams (25th Yay) so I don't need to worry about holding back on the celebrations haha
Yeah i'll have to thank AQA personally for that one :p:
rachell_
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ahaha, AQA have gone crazy this year. I hate the fact they're scrapping a lot of the specs (i.e biology, grr). Same with English though, they're getting rid of editorial writing! So I think they've decided to make everything uber difficult for us lot
marsalltheway
Report 11 years ago
u know i actually heard from a teacher whos also an examiner that AQA were going to recycle a lot of questions this summer because they're concentrating on writing the new a-level exams and just want to end these ones now! they also need to reduce the number of people who will have to resit as next year is the last one for current a-level exams!! basically anyone who needs to resit after next years exams cant!!

also schools are switching their teaching so cant accomodate the old a levels - why waste time on thinking up new questions for a (technically) dead subject?!!

dont take my word for it though!

but there is one issue this year - my teacher went to the examiners meeting thing and they have decided to mark the essays in mod 8 in a new way! the way that the new a-level biology essay will be marked! so they're effectively trialling with us!!
its not entirely different from current marking though, most teachers probably already mark essays like this - checking that at least three to four different topics are covered with depth and relevance.

scientific content out of 16 (material accurate factual detail inkeeping with A-level study, in addition signifcant references to material that indicates greater depth of study) no odd marks awarded i.e. only 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 can be achieved.
breadth out of 3 (covering most aspects of the course), relevance out of 3 (all material relevant to title) QWC out of 3(terminology and english, logical presentation).

now i remember why i love biology
fivestarrambler
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Oh great....i can't wait
happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I reckon Chi Squared/Genetic crosses will come up, as they weren't on the other paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads