Joe555
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh my gosh! Sophiesomething you did exactly the same a levels as me! Biology, Chemistry, maths and even critical thinking (which my school forced me to do!!). Anyway....just saying good choice! Cell mutation doesn't allow for much range though.
Pepe Le Poosh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Joe555)
Hormones:
Digestive ones: Secretin, Gastrin, CCK-PZ
Ovulation: FSH, LH, Oestrogen, Progesterone
Respiration: CoA,NAD any others?
Photosynthesis: RuBP*something*, NADP (i don't know the name of this hormone anyone?)
Hormone recogntion: glycoproteins on the cell membrane
Water Regulation: ADH

Anything else? We don't actually cover what hormones are made from do we?
There is a plant hormone mentioned in one of the extension boxes in the text book that regulates potassium control of stomata opening, don't know much about it but I doubt that you'd need it!

Can we not talk about hormones in a similar way to enzymes, tertiary structure etc. Also i've got a revision guide that mentions thyroxine which increases metabolic rate BUT i think they jsut forgot to edit it out between writing module 6 and human bio module 7
Joe555
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Haha, never heard of that in my life!Probably, hormones are made from proteins right? Well the majority are i think...although there are a few lipid ones i think. Talk about how their shape is complementary to the receptor site etc. Drop in big words like "pharmacophore" etc. That's at least one paragraph!
Apples124
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh my gosh! Sophiesomething you did exactly the same a levels as me! Biology, Chemistry, maths and even critical thinking (which my school forced me to do!!). Anyway....just saying good choice! Cell mutation doesn't allow for much range though.
You kidding? Lol. Cell mutation has a huge range... You could start by stating the different types - deletion, substitution etc etc, how these occur in translation etc. Then the effects these would have: Some harmless, others leading to uncontrolled cell replication / cancers. Others as the result of age degeneration and senescence, and how ageing is a mixture of DNA malreplication and enviromental factors. The things that cause DNA mutation such as lifestyle choices in unit 8 - smoking etc, or carcinogens from other places: UV light, food, etc. How positive mutations help to benefit a species and progress the evolutionary process. Then to make it more synoptic - how cystic fibrosis is caused by the recessive gene which is a mutation of a healthy one. How mutations can be recessive in this way.

lol. Mutation is my forte I guess. *shrugs* - anything else and I'm a bit screwed.

Yeah. I sort of had critical thinking thrust upon me too - anyone who did well at GCSEs/AS and was dropping a subject at A2 had to do it. Never mind, I actually quite enjoy it.
Joe555
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmmmm....i don't do unit 8. I think you're on spec B perhaps? Am i right in thinking adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is exactly the same molecule of a nucleic acid? ie. Phosphate - pentose sugar - connected to a adenine base? You know, the backbone of DNA with an adenine base? A
Apples124
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmmmm....i don't do unit 8. I think you're on spec B perhaps? Am i right in thinking adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is exactly the same molecule of a nucleic acid? ie. Phosphate - pentose sugar - connected to a adenine base? You know, the backbone of DNA with an adenine base? A
Yeah, I'm on spec B. Didn't even occur to me actually that module 8 for both would be on the same day.
rachel1312
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
utterly ****ting myself. i did pretty well in my AS though... took me three goes... but i did ok in the end, got really good As so i dont need to do quite so well to keep up. didnt do too well in my coursework though.

its the essay thats worrying me the most, ive never been able to do them. it takes me about 4 hours to write an ok one with my textbook open in front of me let alone in 45 minutes all on my own! anyone know how you go about revising properly for this part?

xx
Joe555
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
• Membranes
• Lipids (the only unit 1 nutrient not yet done)
• SA:vol
• Hormones
• Gaseous exchange
• Nucleic acids
• Protein synthesis
• Genetic engineering
• Digestion
• Stimulus/response
• Thermoregulation
• Active movement across the membrane

Write essays on a couple of those, i don't bother actually writing the essay, just the plan to see if i could draw upon all areas of the specification. If i can't remember a certain part, i read my revision guide in awe!
djdan1990
Report 11 years ago
you know the 5 main categories:- Cell biology, genetics, biochemistry, physiology, ecology
This may be a bit stupid but can someone help me out with what sort of things are included in each of these topics?
rachel1312
Report 11 years ago
yeah thats a good plan, see i know the stuff... mostly, but i draw at utter blank if the questions arent more structured, they dont give you much to go on do they lol x x
Joe555
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The genetic engineering one's pretty niche though, nothing much you can write on that one.
rachel1312
Report 11 years ago
i hate really vague ones, i mean, if we get a water related one that'll work, cos theres tonnes to write on that, but ones like uses of proteins or carbs or lipids ill be boned cos i can never get it started x
Joe555
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cell biology - mitosis, microscopes, membranes, hoop of henle, RBC (large SA) etc. etc.
Biochemistry - Respiration, Photosynthesis etc. etc.
Genetics - Meiosis + mitosis (they overlap), polgenic inheritance, variation, mutation, DNA synthesis etc.
Physiology - Liver (glucose control), Kidneys (water), Lungs (oxygen), Heart (blood!!duh), ectotherms, endotherms
Ecology - Succession, line transits, mark + release, deforestation, nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle

That's just a bref overview.
fivestarrambler
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yeah...this is B not A lol
Joe555
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's both "lol".
rachell_
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For mod 8 I'm going to die. For mod 8 essay I'm just going to die again. We were meant to be doing prep. lessons at college - y'know helping with how we should answer it, how much time etc, how long but no... we didn't do it because we only finished the bloody course Friday night, grr.
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know, my college was exactly the same. We finished the course a week before the exam.
Jonny_168
Report 11 years ago
im in the same boat as you guys. yes we did a few practice essays although she didnt mark it, only graded it. so whenb i got the essays back and got 3 successive E's, i had no idea why. she also said she'd explain technique/key to getting marks etc. in revision lessons which just never surfaced...
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hoping for Hormones/Digestion!! That's my dream essay!
Pepe Le Poosh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So any predictions for questions?

There was no genetic question, no nervous control of heart, no natural selection and evolution and no ecology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads