The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Joe555
Small intestine absorbtion, mirco villi etc., stomata increase surface area for diffusion for photosynthesis, roots in xerophytes, lungs + aveoli, ADH + re-absorbtion of water, digestion of proteins + lipids (bile etc.), Gas exchange of oxygen

Surface area to volume..hmm, I know small intestine, stomata, roots, and the emulsion of lipids increases surface area, however, does volume really come into that?

Sure, you can do the fick's law, do the whole gas exhange and extend as well to heat loss, but I'm not entirely sure about some of the things you mentioned being volume related.

And saying that, it has never really come up, aspects have, such as in gas exchange have...but that is because an essay on surface area would not allow you to go into the depth needed to write a couple of sides I don't think.

But then I may be wrong, so lmk :tongue:
x
Reply 161
Im gonna write out essay plans for lipids and blood and see what goes from there.
Well whenever we talk about increased surface are what we really mean to say is surface are:volume. I mean you could have a large surface area and a large volume, then what they'd jsut balance out surely.

Been trying to cram on all the module 2 stuff i've forgotten like PCR, Animal oestrus and control, FSH, LH, Oestrogen, Progesterone, Electrophoresis and Protein Synthesis.

Also module 5 stuff liek Chi-Squared which i never really understood and Diversity Index (not that it'll come up)
Reply 163
can someone clarify, pepsin and trypsin - are they enzymes used in protein digestion?
Reply 164
Are you lot brainstorming in the exam?
But then I suppose if you are increasing surface area, you are increasing the ratio between surface area to volume...
Okies, you can ignore me possibly :P

Hope that doesn't come up now!
x
PhilMc

I assume you mean thought showering (since brainstorming is offensive and apparently mind maps are now as well)

Yeah but not on the lines, those lines are precious.

Save 6 lines at the top for a plan, then dive in, but only do a plan once i've chosen.
Reply 167
PhilMc

dude, you cant say that...its politically incorrect.

mind mapping, though? sure.

EDIT:
Pepe Le Poosh
brainstorming is offensive and apparently mind maps are now as well

say what?!!!
Reply 168
sheena18
can someone clarify, pepsin and trypsin - are they enzymes used in protein digestion?

Yep, they're endopeptidases
Not politically correct? How do you mean? I hope that was a joke, cos that wasn't a very good one...
Ali_
dude, you cant say that...its politically incorrect.

mind mapping, though? sure.

EDIT:

say what?!!!

I know its PC gone wrong.

Thought showers though...
Reply 171
Brainstorming is offensive?

WHAT? Someone explain.
Reply 172
Does anyone think that when they start writing the essay question it will all just... appear from nowhere? I'm hoping that happens (same with my geography) to be honest =/
asadwaheed
Lipids (the only unit 1 nutrient not yet done)
Metabolism
Bile
Lipase
Micelles
Chylomicrons
Phospholipid Bilayer
Triglycerides

sheena18
what would you say for the essay title 'the functions of mineral ions in plants and animals'

i dont know why im stumped, im probably just letting the stress get to me :s

i predicted the same titles!! ive done plans hope either comes up now!!
also water, ATP possible titles??!!

is anyone not just happy to finally finish biology? i personally hate it now, its just a colossal amt of info!!
Reply 174
Just one quick question... how long is the essay supposed to be? I have pretty small handwriting so...

We haven't been told anything about it at all =/

We only finished the course a couple of days ago & it's all been pretty much... wrong... So I'm royally screwed tomorrow!
essay is however much you think, lol!
really tho, it depends, if u get a good title you can write until u run out of time. im aiming to cover at least 1and a half pages as an iddication ive done enough.
ive heard that some people do as much as three or more pages tho!!!!

i think its best to concentrate on the main exam paper than the essay! it just works u up and technically u can get an A without the essay! its like 64/65 out of 100 for an A and the essays out of 25 so u can lose about 15-20 marks on the paper and do an OK essay (about 15+) and still probably get an A! hopefully anyway.
Reply 176
Good point about the rest of the exam paper.. Hmmmm.

This is crap being most of our last exam, it means we're almost free - but not quite. It's been the hardest to revise for.
Reply 177
PhilMc
Good point about the rest of the exam paper.. Hmmmm.

This is crap being most of our last exam, it means we're almost free - but not quite. It's been the hardest to revise for.

you havent got chemistry on thursday :frown:
Reply 178
So BYA people -- lipids? Strong possibility?
Reply 179
Lunty
you havent got chemistry on thursday :frown:

*Hug*

I genuinely feel for you :frown: Chemistry was always my worst subject. I got a B at GCSE DAS and thought happy days and left it in the shadows. Wish I done the same with Bio :p:

EDIT: Ooops I thought you were that other girl posting, lol *changes Hug to*: (a) Handsake or (b) Manly hug. LOL

Latest

Trending

Trending