The Student Room Group

Parents not letting me move out for university

So right now i’m an A level student who’s awaiting her results next week and i’ve applied to MMU for Law as my firm choice however i’ve done some extensive research and decided to ring up University Of Liverpool during the clearing process on results day to study my LLB there.
Now here’s where it gets difficult i’ve approached my parents regarding this matter and they are both refusing to let me move out even though it will benefit me and my career in the future. At the end of the day it is my life and i am going to be left going through the consequences. With results day being less than a week away I feel as though i have no option but to run away from home in order to study at Liverpool, but am i taking a risk here and is Liverpool a good institution between the MMU and itself for Law?
Why would you want to move out for university? That seems silly to me. Think about all the money you’d save, having food in the fridge, meals cooked for you. That seems idyllic and heavenly to me. How could you despise such a perfect and stable living situation?!?!
Original post by Anonymous
So right now i’m an A level student who’s awaiting her results next week and i’ve applied to MMU for Law as my firm choice however i’ve done some extensive research and decided to ring up University Of Liverpool during the clearing process on results day to study my LLB there.
Now here’s where it gets difficult i’ve approached my parents regarding this matter and they are both refusing to let me move out even though it will benefit me and my career in the future. At the end of the day it is my life and i am going to be left going through the consequences. With results day being less than a week away I feel as though i have no option but to run away from home in order to study at Liverpool, but am i taking a risk here and is Liverpool a good institution between the MMU and itself for Law?

If you can manage financially then go for it. You have to leave your family at some point and this is a good reason to do it.

I would probably give Liverpool the edge for law. It isnt silly to move out for university, though if you can see yourself being able to still have some of the ‘university experience’ then you should consider staying home because running away will not do you favours when you need to go home after term ends. I would say do what you want but i assume you parents will be supporting you financially at university. Your best bet is exaggerating to your parents how Liverpool is very good for law and much better than MMU and that they are interfering with your graduate prospects. Good luck!
Eeek that’s a rough one.
When you applied for your student loan did you put that you’d be living at home?
If so, your student loan may be lower than it would’ve been if you’d recorded that you will be living in student accommodation
Can you afford to not live at home? What are your parents reasons for wanting you to stay at home?

What is making you want to switch to Liverpool and have you explained the reasons why to your parents? In turn, have your parents spoken to you about why they don't want you to move away from university?

If you feel that Liverpool is the best option and that commuting would not benefit you, you need to get this across to your parents clearly and calmly. Running away isn't the best option here.
Why would you want to move out for university? That seems silly to me. Think about all the money you’d save, having food in the fridge, meals cooked for you. That seems idyllic and heavenly to me. How could you despise such a perfect and stable living situation?!?!

Because a lot of people of university age want their first taste of independence, some people don't particularly get on with their family or having a good living situation at home, some want the full university experience and most importantly the best university or course for some isn't necessarily the one on their doorstep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending