Can I Get Into Law? Watch

animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I would say in response to your points:

1. Not really for Law except for Glasgow in my experience, possibly depending on how good the personal statement is.
2. I don't know the exact stats but I would have thought anyone with decent grades at Higher would be able to study Law somewhere in Scotland.
3. There are duel Scottish/English Law degree options in Scotland.
4. Surely they don't cost more than 3 years of tuition fees and even if practicing in Scotland you still have to do the Diploma in Professional Legal Practice after your degree.

(Original post by 123543)
1. Because some universities are a pain up here about getting AAAAA in one sitting. Universities down south are far more bothered about your abilities in English and other essay-writing subjects than your abilities in other irrelevant subjects. It's because they're comparing us against students that have done 3 A-Levels.
2. University acceptance rate up here for Scottish students is much lower than English students.
3. Not everyone wants to practice law in Scotland.
4. The GDL/LPC/BPTC will cost if you ever want to go down south.

Yeah, it would be conditional on AH.

(Original post by animalmagic)
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Update :
Turns out I'm 1 mark away from an A in modern studies which is quite sad.
I'm picking up the form from school tomorrow to get it remarked or whatever they do.

Regarding universities, I'm not really wanting to go down south as it is quite far from friends and family and alongside that tuition fees.
Glasgow and Edinburgh University are the two I am set on, I'll obviously attend both open days to grasp which one I prefer more. Yeah to be honest, I did use the league tables to say the Glasgow was 3rd best, now reading the responses it may be that isn't so accurate. Since Glasgow has the LNAT that also led me to believe it edges Edinburgh?
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by animalmagic)
I would say in response to your points:

1. Not really for Law except for Glasgow in my experience, possibly depending on how good the personal statement is.
2. I don't know the exact stats but I would have thought anyone with decent grades at Higher would be able to study Law somewhere in Scotland.
3. There are duel Scottish/English Law degree options in Scotland.
4. Surely they don't cost more than 3 years of tuition fees and even if practicing in Scotland you still have to do the Diploma in Professional Legal Practice after your degree.
Don't really want to argue, but I got AAAAB and was warned by Edinburgh when I contacted them that they haven't been able to give out offers to students that haven't achieved AAAAA recent years. Acceptance rates for English students to Edinburgh for Law are way higher than Scottish - I'm talking 20% vs 70%. I'm aware of dual options, I'm not saying these don't exist - I'm saying that don't immediately disregard England as a viable option. It's not going to be free to train to be a practicing lawyer anyway.

Of course, you can get a fantastic degree up here and I am by no means advocating against it, all I'm suggesting is that remember there are Universities down south too.
animalmagic
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Don't really want to argue, but I got AAAAB and was warned by Edinburgh when I contacted them that they haven't been able to give out offers to students that haven't achieved AAAAA recent years. Acceptance rates for English students to Edinburgh for Law are way higher than Scottish - I'm talking 20% vs 70%. I'm aware of dual options, I'm not saying these don't exist - I'm saying that don't immediately disregard England as a viable option. It's not going to be free to train to be a practicing lawyer anyway.

Of course, you can get a fantastic degree up here and I am by no means advocating against it, all I'm suggesting is that remember there are Universities down south too.
No, I definitely don't want to argue either I am by no means a Law expert, my field is Vet Med and I always encourage my mentees to apply to two English universities since they only have two Scottish options
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by S.carter)
UCL, LSE, Bristol would be great
Posting this as confirmation that I've seen your post - will send the documents tonight
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Posting this as confirmation that I've seen your post - will send the documents tonight
Would it be possible to receive the documents too? Thank you for doing this
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Ye I'll attach them as a post to this thread
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by S.carter)
UCL, LSE, Bristol would be great
Thought it to be easier to just link you to the Drive folders that have all the data

The 'old requests' folder contains information for law students who enrolled in 2018.

The 'new requests' folder contains information for law students who enrolled in 2017 and 2018. Only a couple of responses are out - check back over the course of the next month.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kX?usp=sharing
Last edited by JohanGRK; 5 days ago
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Don't really want to argue, but I got AAAAB and was warned by Edinburgh when I contacted them that they haven't been able to give out offers to students that haven't achieved AAAAA recent years. Acceptance rates for English students to Edinburgh for Law are way higher than Scottish - I'm talking 20% vs 70%.
I'd be curious as to what the actual figure is. I had a lot of friends at university who did Law and they were 90% from Scotland. Of course, I didn't befriend the entire Law cohort at Edinburgh, but still - I'm not really sure your figure is accurate...

To be honest, I'm pretty sure you'd receive an offer from Edinburgh with your grades. Make sure you have a killer personal statement and very good references!
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'd be curious as to what the actual figure is. I had a lot of friends at university who did Law and they were 90% from Scotland. Of course, I didn't befriend the entire Law cohort at Edinburgh, but still - I'm not really sure your figure is accurate...
is this an FOI request-in-waiting?

I'm guessing that a lot of the Anglos who apply and get offers don't actually firm Edinburgh :/
Last edited by JohanGRK; 5 days ago
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
is this an FOI request-in-waiting?

I'm guessing that a lot of the Anglos who apply and get offers don't actually firm Edinburgh :/
Haha Think you could hook us up?

Yeah, I imagine many students from down south don't firm Edinburgh. I wonder why so many apply, to be honest. Back-up from Doxbridge and London? :lol: Or, novelty?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by fucthesqa)
Since Glasgow has the LNAT that also led me to believe it edges Edinburgh?
Not at all. The LNAT is simply a metric by which various institutions assess applicants. Certain universities choose to utilise this and certain universities don't. Edinburgh simply uses other means to judge their applicants.

Just so you know, both historically and domestically, Edinburgh's reputation for Law in Scotland is unparalleled. Glasgow is fantastic as well but I definitely wouldn't say it edges over Edinburgh. It comes to a close second.

I can't comment on the content of the courses, I'm afraid. Just reputation (which may not be the most ideal way to select your university).
University of Aberdeen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Not at all. The LNAT is simply a metric by which various institutions assess applicants. Certain universities choose to utilise this and certain universities don't. Edinburgh simply uses other means to judge their applicants.

Just so you know, both historically and domestically, Edinburgh's reputation for Law in Scotland is unparalleled. Glasgow is fantastic as well but I definitely wouldn't say it edges over Edinburgh. It comes to a close second.

I can't comment on the content of the courses, I'm afraid. Just reputation (which may not be the most ideal way to select your university).
Hello all,
I noticed your discussions about Law. For anyone who is interested in studying English Law at other Scottish Universities, I have just had a look at the Aberdeen Clearing Pages for Law, and we have Law with English Law, and Law with English Law - Accelerated. We also have Law with English Law and European Legal Studies, and Law with second languages, psychology, business amongst others - all very useful disciplines for employment!. Take a look at the School of Law as they have some very insightful blogs, and you maybe be able to widen your choices. Good luck to all of you, wherever you study!
Last edited by University of Aberdeen; 5 days ago
S.carter
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thought it to be easier to just link you to the Drive folders that have all the data

The 'old requests' folder contains information for law students who enrolled in 2018.

The 'new requests' folder contains information for law students who enrolled in 2017 and 2018. Only a couple of responses are out - check back over the course of the next month.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kX?usp=sharing
Thank you! This is really helpful)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

To be honest, I'm pretty sure you'd receive an offer from Edinburgh with your grades. Make sure you have a killer personal statement and very good references!
You're correct, the statistic isn't quite as drastic as I thought it was - I must have read the 70 offers and interpreted it as 70% for rUK - sorry haha. It is still quite considerably higher, though. https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...statistics.pdf

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...statistics.pdf

Scottish offer rate in 2016: 17%

rUK offer rate in 2016: 32%
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
You're correct, the statistic isn't quite as drastic as I thought it was - I must have read the 70 offers and interpreted it as 70% for rUK - sorry haha. It is still quite considerably higher, though. https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...statistics.pdf

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...statistics.pdf

Scottish offer rate in 2016: 17%

rUK offer rate in 2016: 32%
Um, did you check the number of applications and the acceptance rate?

Scotland and EU applications: 1,686.
Scotland and EU offers given: 288 (17%)
Scotland and EU accepting offers: 141

Rest of the UK applications: 231
Rest of the UK offers given: 74 (32%)
Rest of the UK accepting offers: 13

In other words, barely anyone from England (and rest of the UK) applies to Edinburgh for Law. We can also assume that the ones that do apply most likely have Edinburgh as a back up from Oxbridge meaning that they are likely to have stellar grades (hence the offer rate).

While the offer percentage given out to rest of the UK applicants is higher, it's all contextual considering the sheer volume of Scottish (and EU) applicants for Law at Edinburgh.

I knew there was something amiss here. I know a lot of Law graduates from Edinburgh (and I went to a few parties during my undergrad hosted by Law students and their peers) and I can only remember meeting a handful (at most) of students who were from England.

Ergo, English students doing Law at Edinburgh are a rare breed. I would definitely encourage students (who meet the entry requirements or have special consideration as a result of their economic background or schooling) to apply to Edinburgh to study Law. Of course, that's only assuming that they want to use one of their choices on Edinburgh.
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 days ago
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Um, did you check the number of applications and the acceptance rate?

Scotland and EU applications: 1,686.
Scotland and EU offers given: 288 (17%)
Scotland and EU accepting offers: 141

Rest of the UK applications: 231
Rest of the UK offers given: 74 (32%)
Rest of the UK accepting offers: 13

In other words, barely anyone from England (and rest of the UK) applies to Edinburgh for Law. We can also assume that the ones that do probably have it as a back up from Oxbridge and thus are likely to have stellar grades (hence the acceptance rate).

While the offer percentage given out to rest of the UK applicants is higher, it's all contextual considering the sheer volume of Scottish (and EU) applicants for Law at Edinburgh.

I knew there was something amiss here. I know a lot of Law graduates from Edinburgh (and I went to a few parties during my undergrad hosted by Law students and their peers) and I can only remember meeting a handful (at most) of students who were from England.

Ergo, English students doing Law at Edinburgh are a rare breed. I would definitely encourage students (who meet the entry requirements or have special consideration as a result of their economic backgrounds or schooling) to apply to Edinburgh to study Law. Of course, that's only assuming that they want to use one of their choices on Edinburgh.
Fair enough, I'm just going on what Edinburgh told me as a student that got AAAAB.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Fair enough, I'm just going on what Edinburgh told me as a student that got AAAAB.
If you're wanting to go to Edinburgh, I'd definitely consider applying there. You never know - you might be part of that 17%.
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
If you're wanting to go to Edinburgh, I'd definitely consider applying there. You never know - you might be part of that 17%.
It's something I'm considering. I'm just waiting to go back to school and look at everything (mark breakdowns, bands etc) just now. Thanks for the encouragement, though
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
It's something I'm considering. I'm just waiting to go back to school and look at everything (mark breakdowns, bands etc) just now. Thanks for the encouragement, though
1 mark off 5 As, praying that the marking review works.
Let me know how close you were in maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (15)
16.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
14.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (22)
24.44%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (33)
36.67%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.11%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.67%