Final Year Medics - Class of 2020 Watch

Ceftriaxone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
After the success of the Class of 2019 thread, here is a thread for us final year medics 2020!

How are we all feeling about the approaching year?
Es0phagus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Awful, but I think that’s the wrong answer
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ceftriaxone)
After the success of the Class of 2019 thread, here is a thread for us final year medics 2020!

How are we all feeling about the approaching year?
start in 2 weeks... feeling incredibly apprehensive. I think the only thing getting me through is knowing finals are already over (and I passed) so I only have the SJT, a few progress tests and the PSA to worry about - no more OSCEs!!

started to think about jobs yet? I think I'm going to put Wales deanery top and hopefully would like a job in South Wales so my partner (who will then be husband) doesn't have to move again so 🤞
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Mutmit287; 1 week ago
Hasenhuttlgoesin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can’t wait for it to be over to be honest 😬
Ceftriaxone
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mutmit287)
start in 2 weeks... feeling incredibly apprehensive. I think the only thing getting me through is knowing finals are already over (and I passed) so I only have the SJT, a few progress tests and the PSA to worry about - no more OSCEs!!

started to think about jobs yet? I think I'm going to put Wales deanery top and hopefully would like a job in South Wales so my partner (who will then be husband) doesn't have to move again so 🤞
Same here about feeling apprehensive! We start in 2 weeks too, I'm not ready to have to say that I'm a final year just yet it's brilliant that you've passed your finals, it must be such a weight off for you!

Yep, I'm pretty keen on the Northern deanery so fingers crossed for that! Have you considered other deaneries or are you pretty set on Wales?
Ceftriaxone
Rep:
?
(Original post by Es0phagus)
Awful, but I think that’s the wrong answer
I know what you mean! I was on the wards for changeover day on Wednesday and it is scary to think that next changeover day it'll be us!
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Same here about feeling apprehensive! We start in 2 weeks too, I'm not ready to have to say that I'm a final year just yet it's brilliant that you've passed your finals, it must be such a weight off for you!

Yep, I'm pretty keen on the Northern deanery so fingers crossed for that! Have you considered other deaneries or are you pretty set on Wales?
yea it's one big weight off my shoulders, but it made 4th year incredibly tough - had the year from hell (quite literally with specialities plus finals) so hopefully 5th year will be much nicer.

I'm pretty set on Wales, going to put north west second (where I'm from so makes a nice second as I know the area well) and then Midlands third (or vice-versa). the likelihood is unless I score appallingly on the SJT (scary but I've seen it done) then I should get Wales as it's often easier to get into than others.

providing I don't end up on the Isle of Mann or somewhere hours away from civilisation, I'm ok because my partner has a semi flexible job providing there is work around. would hate to be newlywed and seperated again for a couple of years (been there done that).
Last edited by Mutmit287; 1 week ago
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know what you mean! I was on the wards for changeover day on Wednesday and it is scary to think that next changeover day it'll be us!
brb going to vomit at that thought 😭
Es0phagus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah man, there's just a million assessments for us to do, I'm still tired/worn out. I'll feel better once I get back into the swing of things I reckon though!
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A lot of people get into North-west Thames in London even though that's the toughest, so i would be surprised if anybody struggled to get into their top first or second choice outside of London, unless they were bottom rank, no BSc, and low SJT.
I have been told you often (unless you completely crash on the SJT) get your first choice deanery, and the competition comes when ranking jobs/locations within that.

all of my friends are doing BSc's this next year. I personally couldn't wait to get out of med school so didn't see the appeal (pretty set on general practice so was advised only do intercalate if I truly wanted to do the degree). the lack of extra points does play on my mind sometimes, but in the grand scheme of things I performed well in med school so it shouldn't be to much to worry about for Wales.
Sfsk96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Currently finishing off an intercalated MSc, cannot wait to return to clinical medicine! I would love to do an AFP in Cambridge or Bristol but did nothing extra throughout med school! Not sure whether I even stand a chance. Otherwise quite keen on going to London for the regular FP.
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Sfsk96)
Currently finishing off an intercalated MSc, cannot wait to return to clinical medicine! I would love to do an AFP in Cambridge or Bristol but did nothing extra throughout med school! Not sure whether I even stand a chance. Otherwise quite keen on going to London for the regular FP.
Did nothing extra, except an MSc. Thats something not loads of people will have
Sfsk96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ForestCat)
Did nothing extra, except an MSc. Thats something not loads of people will have
I guess it is worth a shot!?
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Sfsk96)
I guess it is worth a shot!?
Nothing to lose!
Ceryni
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
God, this is a bit terrifying started this account years ago when my life was all UKCAT/BMAT, and now back here with all new acronyms to lose sleep over :P

Only just got back from elective, definitely not ready to start uni again next week haha
-inspired-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
We started back on Monday after only two weeks off. Still exhausted from last year and terrified for this year haha
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by -inspired-)
We started back on Monday after only two weeks off. Still exhausted from last year and terrified for this year haha
Makes me feel bad for complaining about my 4 week holiday literally 5 minutes ago. Thats rough - are you straight back into placement?
-inspired-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mutmit287)
Makes me feel bad for complaining about my 4 week holiday literally 5 minutes ago. Thats rough - are you straight back into placement?
Yeah, started my 6 week paeds placement Monday morning. 6 day week in paeds ED this week too so not a slow start haha
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by -inspired-)
Yeah, started my 6 week paeds placement Monday morning. 6 day week in paeds ED this week too so not a slow start haha
Thrown right back into it then. Loved paeds ED, was one of my favourite placements (have done it a couple of times now).
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
What does everyones final year actually consist of? It seems to differ massively depending on the medical school, so im curious to know what you all do this year?

We have 3 placements (2 shadowing FY1s in the hospital and 1 primary care) plus our elective and some random lecture weeks inbetween. Its all general medicine, no specialities (we did those last year) and as we have already sat finals its almost like an apprenticeship year.

Would be interested to hear what everyone else does?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.8%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.76%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.65%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed