social classes and dating Watch

storminaDcup
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
that is really awful....first time i've heard of that happening..but it probably has before, it has just been disguised by some ******** excuse "it's not you its me" thing.

i'm from a well off family and luckily my boyfriend is too so there are no issues there...but i would never dream of dumping my boyfriend if he earnt less than me...SO, she's just a cow, there arent many of them around, you deserve better and you WILL find better!!
jew unit
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
i'm hardly hysterical, i was just raised in a household where mentioning money, religion, or sex were hardly good topics for discussion due to their inflammatory nature.

and what do you mean by, "a bit off?" that sounds a bit subjective to me. could it be that i'm american, and that anything i say or type will have a characteristically different syntax from almost everyone in here?

and since i've only known about four people who have been able to classically "up" me in terms of money, i'm not terribly worried or upset when people try. what i do find funny is that "poshtotty" someone who said she was upset that poorer people judged her, included posh in her name. what a fantastic way to set yourself clearly apart from anyone of a lesser income. :rolleyes:

My god, you come across badly. Wind your neck in and stop gobbing off about how much more you have than anyone else. You might also want to conduct an urgent and in depth review of your social skills.
Bagration
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
NEE NOR NEE NOR JEALOUSY ALARM JEALOUSLY ALARM

stating facts isn't 'gobbing off', so sorry.
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jew unit)
My god, you come across badly. Wind your neck in and stop gobbing off about how much more you have than anyone else. You might also want to conduct an urgent and in depth review of your social skills.
lol you are saying to curry basically what she was said to the other girl! hohoho
jew unit
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
NEE NOR NEE NOR JEALOUSY ALARM JEALOUSLY ALARM

stating facts isn't 'gobbing off', so sorry.
For a start: the word you are looking for is envy (I'm aware that I now look like a prick, but you started this slanging match) and secondly I'm merely pointing out her distinct lack of social skills. Nobody needs to say things like that, as they are only intended to trigger envy.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by stryker101)
lol you are saying to curry basically what she was said to the other girl! hohoho
i only said it because you implied that i was poor. i'm not. so sorry to dissapoint. you might also note that i said nothing about how much money i had until you implied that people like me should stop being jealous of "poshtotty".
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
AAARRRGGHHH
(Original post by curryADD)
i only said it because you implied that i was poor. i'm not. so sorry to dissapoint. you might also note that i said nothing about how much money i had until you implied that people like me should stop being jealous of "poshtotty".
i think we probs shouldnt hang out for a while curry.. def some communication probs here
see my last post -

'people like you'

DID NOT MEAN

'poor people',

IT MEANT

'people who get hysterical and paranoid about people mentioning how much more rich/classy they are'

WHICH YOU PROVED INCLUDED YOU when you jumped to the conclusion that i was accusing you of being poor and classless... and you proved again just now, reaffirming how you are, in fact very wealthy and classy.

anyway, thats besides the point since you were just referring to the wrong post. notice i am not a girl. so i could not have been referring to a post you made to me. notice that the only other post of yours i have quoted is TO a girl (posh) - so it could be a reasonable leap of faith to assume that you could guess i was talking about what you said to posh (who is a girl, since i mentioned that you said it to a girl)....

what happened to the special relationship?
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by stryker101)
AAARRRGGHHH

i think we probs shouldnt hang out for a while curry.. def some communication probs here
see my last post -

'people like you'

DID NOT MEAN

'poor people',

IT MEANT

'people who get hysterical and paranoid about people mentioning how much more rich/classy they are'

WHICH YOU PROVED INCLUDED YOU when you jumped to the conclusion that i was accusing you of being poor and classless... and you proved again just now, reaffirming how you are, in fact very wealthy and classy.

anyway, thats besides the point since you were just referring to the wrong post. notice i am not a girl. so i could not have been referring to a post you made to me. notice that the only other post of yours i have quoted is TO a girl (posh) - so it could be a reasonable leap of faith to assume that you could guess i was talking about what you said to posh (who is a girl, since i mentioned that you said it to a girl)....

what happened to the special relationship?
i'm sorry. i'm dyslexic, and not only does the last paragraph have long and convoluted sentences, it also requires following the points made in them to the next point. as much as it pains me to admit a disability, if you want me to understand what you're trying to get at in the last paragraph you will have to...

-shorten the sentences
-and preferably list them

this makes it easier for me to differentiate.

and i'm sorry that i took "people like me" the wrong way. how else was i supposed to think of it, when you stated it in such a way that made it seem as if you were calling me poor in a derogatory manner? after all, the opposite of posh to me is poor, as it would seem to quite a few people.
chloecouture
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thats really shallow i think. I don't really care what 'class' people are, infact i don't even notice.
But my ex boyfriends family all hated me because they thought i was a snob because i went to a private school and kept making comments about it when i was at their house so i think it works both ways.
Desperate Prayer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its best you find this out now than later. It still hurts that someone you trusted isnt who you thought they were however.

I can empathise my friend. Ive been with some rather...refined girls who, should they or there parents ever have found that im the result of a single parent, not fabulously rich as themselves family, It would probrably have ended rather fast. That said, I did tell some and they didnt see it as anything resembling a problem, but we still opted to keep it from their parents.

It could possibly have been that she was scared of what her parents would say or do, or feared their disapproval.
Amelorn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't care about social class.

The wealth of your parents (or lack of wealth) and your education (state-funded or private) do not determine your bank book for very long. Most of us do not have parents and grandparents who possessed such fantastic wealth that successive generations could live in luxury off inherited wealth. We have to make our own way in the world.

That said, I wouldn't judge a girl by her parents' finances. I hope that she would reciprocate.
HeadShock
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The attack on here about poshtotty who has been actively trying to help is just another example of what i have had to deal with my whole life simply with the roles reversed. How are you any better than "posh" people if you act hostile towards them?
I think all attacks to people who considered themselfs better than others generally, are deserved.

Noone gave anyone the right to look down on anyone.
Guy Secretan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
After half a year of dating, my ex gf found out i was "poor" by which i mean that my parents earn together around as much as one of hers. This wasn't a secret, it just never came up. After finding this out she has decided that she wants nothing to do with me at all. Any advice on how to take this, cause this kind of betrayal cuts deep, and i thought we where closer than that.

Tell her she was ugly and you were only using her for sex.
lincs_b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This happens all the time, loads of boys I went to school with would class working class girls as someone to have sex with but not to take home to meet the parents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads