The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
chilling
wejme could you please stay on topic, this topic is regarding the black watch, not the reasons of war. please

the post was on topic. i agreed with the comments made in that post.
Reply 21
but i disagree, anyway, lets not argue about one irrelevant point, please stay on topic vienna.

id like to state i read in the independant, that black watch soldiers, are chain smoking, and listening to their radios, just waiting for more causalties. i thought these warrior vehicles were bomb proof
Reply 22
i have just read the commander of ther black watch sent an email, which states they are scared, and dont want to be there, he mentions the enemy will come at them , like bees to honey. why are they so scared? they have the latest weapons, latest training, come on lads, dont give up on us now?

but i do blame blair for putting them in this situation, bush says jump, blair says how high. the British army are just a regiment of the American army, in slightly different uniform.
Reply 23
The latest weapons? The SA-80 Individual Weapon. Well-known for falling to bits, jamming, and being impossible to fire from the left shoulder (an important consideration for urban combat).
Reply 24
vienna95
Im horrified by the UK media who are putting the lives of these men in jeopardy. The Independent is particuarly despicable.

Black Watch are making a legitimate contribution to the conflict and should have the full support of the country.

The Black Watch are being exploited for political purposes. Blair will show just how grateful he is by disbanding the Regiment to please his bean-counting Chancellor early next year. Shame!
Reply 25
Dr_Death
The latest weapons? The SA-80 Individual Weapon. Well-known for falling to bits, jamming, and being impossible to fire from the left shoulder (an important consideration for urban combat).

You're right. I was in the TA once upon a time. The SA-80 is fcukin ****e!
Reply 26
Dr_Death

OH. so they are not equipped with the latest wepons, well its better than an ak47. and the warrior tanks, they look superb on the tv, i think if a hundren rocket propelled grenades were fire at them, nothing would happen to them, with the amount of armour they have.
Reply 27
chilling
OH. so they are not equipped with the latest wepons, well its better than an ak47. and the warrior tanks, they look superb on the tv, i think if a hundren rocket propelled grenades were fire at them, nothing would happen to them, with the amount of armour they have.

Excuse me but the AK-47 is a far far superior weapon than the SA-80.
Reply 28
The AK-47 is always reliable. The SA-80, or L85 Individual Weapon, is very accurate, but very flimsy.
Reply 29
if you look at the ministry of defence website, it states the SA80A2 series - the most reliable weapons of their type in the world.

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/pw/pw_sa80.htm

and plus the armour, its the latest technology, bullets can not get through
Reply 30
chilling
if you look at the ministry of defence website, it states the SA80A2 series - the most reliable weapons of their type in the world.

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/pw/pw_sa80.htm

and plus the armour, its the latest technology, bullets can not get through

Well, the MOD would hardly say "The SA-80 is one of the most crap personal weapons to be used by any modern Army" woould they?

Besides, who cares what the MOD says? I've used an SA-80 and currently own an AK-47. IMHO the AK-47 wins hand's down.
Reply 31
chilling
and the warrior tanks, they look superb on the tv

so does David Beckham, but I wouldnt marry him.
Reply 32
Please do not Troll
Reply 33
Howard
Well, the MOD would hardly say "The SA-80 is one of the most crap personal weapons to be used by any modern Army" woould they?

Besides, who cares what the MOD says? I've used an SA-80 and currently own an AK-47. IMHO the AK-47 wins hand's down.

The AK-47 is reliable, but it has horrible accuracy after the first shot. We saw the advantages the AK-47 had in jungle warfare in Vietnam. The SA-80A2 has a better range, accuracy, and better design for close combat enviroments. The SA-80A2 has improved, but still suffers from reliability problems.
Reply 34
some good news from the weekend's operations, particuarly near to where Black Watch are operational.

AP
Police launched a surprise attack on an insurgent checkpoint south of Baghdad, killing 25 militants, authorities said Monday.

Some 60 police officers from the city of Hillah, dressed in civilian clothing, ambushed the militants in the Latifiyah area early Sunday, said an officer with the Babil provincial police force, who declined to give his name.

During a fierce gunbattle that lasted for several hours, 25 insurgents were killed, he said. Iraqi forces reported no casualties.

Coalition and Iraqi forces have come under frequent attack in Latifiyah, about 20 miles south of the capital.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/041108/ap/d867ie100.html

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/041108/ap/d867p63g1.html
Reply 35
im so glad i live in the u.k
Reply 36
I obviously feel very sorry for the soldiers who die and their families. But what everybody seems to be losing sight of is the fact that they are soldiers - in the Somme how many thousands died in the first hour??? And now we have like 30 dead... I'm not directly relating this to the black watch cos i don't agree with it - but the whole thing about the soldier who wanted to go home just gets on my nerves a tad.
Reply 37
chilling
and it is the job of the media to inform people of what is going on, no matter what the impacts.

The media have a social responsibility to those they claim to work on behalf of. That includes not giving out information without regard to the lives of troops over there. I'm not arguing that the media should never be critical nor seek to uncover government malfeasance, but the running play-by-play commentary of the Black Watch's move north for example was despicable. You're supposed to be informing British citizens, not telling the enemy exactly where they are so they can be ambushed.
Reply 38
Chrism
The media have a social responsibility to those they claim to work on behalf of. That includes not giving out information without regard to the lives of troops over there. I'm not arguing that the media should never be critical nor seek to uncover government malfeasance, but the running play-by-play commentary of the Black Watch's move north for example was despicable. You're supposed to be informing British citizens, not telling the enemy exactly where they are so they can be ambushed.

if you lived in iraq, im sure you could locate the black watch, any half intellectual person could locate the black watch, who wouldnt notice a convoy of warrior armoured tanks stretching for miles. mmmm a blind or a deaf person maybe, but they also wouldnt be able to see the newsreports telling them where the black watch are.

i am so sorry to hear of the black watch casualties last night. war is war, and i am sure the soldiers were prepared for the worst. But hey, when they grow old, at least they will know they contributed to iraq's independance. that is if their is one.
Reply 39
As much as i hate blairs decision to kill our troops just for the sake of it i admire the army in that they do the best they can with wht are in all fairness unusable tools. The SA80 is crap, i have used a non automatic version and i think out of the 20 odd rounds i fired in one of them 10 of them made the weapon jam. Not the best!!

Still as a genuine show of support for the troops if i had not just started at uni i would sign up. I know it doesnt actually mean very much but i honestly would. I am thinking about maybe doing the TA while i am down here and near a TA regiment.

Latest

Trending

Trending