The Student Room Group

Grade 5 piano student playing in the University?

OK, i've got a grade 5 cert in piano and i sat for ABRSM music exam(Associated Board of The Royal School of Music)..but ever since i moved out from my home town, i never really dare to play piano anymore, especially in my College as most of the other students just seem to be extremely gifted and most of them have a grade 8 cert of even reached diploma already. I'm afraid things might get even worse when i go to University as there'd probably be some music students(degree level or even higher)listening to it while i play..it's just so embarassing..i'm like playing mary and a little lamb while those students are elegantly laying their fingers on listz or Debussy's pieces which i have NO idea how to play them.

Does anyone have this kind of experience?I realised i have an interest in music at the age of 15/16 and only started taking piano lessons at that age..i stopped after two years as i needed to move to my country's capital city for studies. Music lessons here are just not affordable for me so i stopped taking any piano lessons.

I'd love any sort of suggestions. I wanted to post this in a music sub-forum but couldn't find one.

Scroll to see replies

From my experience, Music Students aren't like that; some of them show off a bit, but they wouldn't look down on someone for being worse than them. Besides, the real pros go to Conservatoires, not University, and there will be plenty of people at university who play the piano or another instrument without studying Music at degree level or having grade 8.
Reply 2
I didn't mean to say they'll look down on me for not being able to play well but it's kind of me myself being too self-conscious..but this doesn't happen without a reason..compare the music played by a three year-old with that of a ...pro.
Grade 5 is pretty good though! I'm only Grade 6 and I'm doing Music next year.
Reply 4
Don't worry. When I was younger I had piano lessons (but was too scared to even take any exams) so not even at grade 1!!!!

I've recently got into playing it again but can only play when nobody else is in the house as they would either die from shock that I was playing or go "so why did you never practise when you had lessons?" blah blah blah.

When I go to uni I'm hoping I will be able to play all I like.

I can onnly really play incredibly simple songs like Mary Had A Little Lamb and a few other simple tunes.
Reply 5
QI Elf, so are you really going to play London Bridge is falling down in your University? While all the other music students pass by? I don't mind to play as long as my friends(even though some of them are at diploma level too)are beside me as we'll joke around so it's not so bad..however, the idea of playing there alone just haunts me and so far, it's stopped me from practising for months!

RightSaidJames, how can you read Music at degree level as a grade 6 student?
Reply 6
~Adel~
QI Elf, so are you really going to play London Bridge is falling down in your University? While all the other music students pass by? I don't mind to play as long as my friends(even though some of them are at diploma level too)are beside me as we'll joke around so it's not so bad..however, the idea of playing there alone just haunts me and so far, it's stopped me from practising for months!

Yeah I think so.

I have all of my piano books and at the back on the last book I have is a simple version of The Entertainer.

I would love to be able to play that.

If anyone said anything to me I would say that I was there to study history not music and a girl can play if she wants to.

How else can I get better if I don't start by playing the basics?

And besides I quite enjoy it now, which is strange considering when I took lessons I hated it!!!
~Adel~

Because I'm planning to take grade 7 in November and Grade 8 not too long afterwards, and also because a degree in Music isn't just about performing; in some places (such as Lancaster) you don't have to perform as part of the degree at all if you don't want to!
No-one will actually care.
Anyone without a music qualification will think you're very impressive - I would, I can't play for toffee, and you're probably going to find more of them than discerning Music students. I don't think you're studying Music, are you?

You could always ask them to teach you. They would more than likely be cheaper than a music teacher and you can make music friends that way?
Reply 10
I had to do a grade 1 challenge on piano this term, and had to practice in a very non-soundproof practice room, where everyone could hear me bashing at my pieces. It can make you self conscious, but in the end of the day, you're playing the piano to enjoy it, a lot of people probably won't even notice as they walk past the room and people probably won't judge you for it.

Just continue playing, try not to worry about what people think, and enjoy.

And it is possible to continue lessons and not study music - I do History and have continued my flute lessons.
Reply 11
Just play what you want. You don't have to be too self-conscious. By the way, I have long thought that Music Education is compulsory for British students. Is it true?
Reply 12
Well at my school we had to do it from kindergarten (aged 2 and a half years) until year 9 (aged 14) so in part yes it was compulsory but not at GCSE and A Level.
Reply 13
QI Elf
Well at my school we had to do it from kindergarten until year 9 so in part yes it was compulsory but not at GCSE and A Level.

Ah! I see! :smile: Thank you for the clarification.
Reply 14
studyboy
Just play what you want. You don't have to be too self-conscious. By the way, I have long thought that Music Education is compulsory for British students. Is it true?

Up to age 14 (Year 9) it is. Its not compulsory for GCSE.
Reply 15
flipshot
Up to age 14 (Year 9) it is. Its not compulsory for GCSE.

I really it is wonderful to incorporate music lessons in school. It is a pity that music education is not taken seriously back home in Malaysia. Moreover, private lessons are quite hefty.
Reply 16
thatwhichiam
Anyone without a music qualification will think you're very impressive - I would, I can't play for toffee, and you're probably going to find more of them than discerning Music students. I don't think you're studying Music, are you?

You could always ask them to teach you. They would more than likely be cheaper than a music teacher and you can make music friends that way?

Was that directed to me? Have a look at the spoiler in my sig, i'm going to read Medicine this year, on condition of AAB of course. There's not much to be taught to be honest, i've reached grade 5 and since i wouldn't be taking any piano exams, there's no need for me to learn technical stuff like scales etc(which is one of the reasons i didn't want to progress to grade 6). The pieces are just standard(there are only that many notes to be played on..and i've got a merit in Grade 5's music theory too..).

Nicki: When i was back at home, i used to play with one of the pedals pressed, the one that will suppress the volume of the keys..haha! My neighbour's daughter plays piano too, and she even participated in a competition so i didn't want to put myself to shame by playing it loudly..lol
Reply 17
Do many students who were taking private music lessons before university continue with their grades/exams during uni?

It's something I'm thinking of but it's extra time and money... I'd just like to get my Grade 6 singing is all. And is there any way of finding a list of singing tutors in England?
Reply 18
~Adel~
Was that directed to me? Have a look at the spoiler in my sig, i'm going to read Medicine this year, on condition of AAB of course. There's not much to be taught to be honest, i've reached grade 5 and since i wouldn't be taking any piano exams, there's no need for me to learn technical stuff like scales etc(which is one of the reasons i didn't want to progress to grade 6). The pieces are just standard(there are only that many notes to be played on..and i've got a merit in Grade 5's music theory too..).

Nicki: When i was back at home, i used to play with one of the pedals pressed, the one that will suppress the volume of the keys..haha! My neighbour's daughter plays piano too, and she even participated in a competition so i didn't want to put myself to shame by playing it loudly..lol

You might need the technical stuff to attempt certain songs. Scales are not that bad, try Czerny. :wink:
Reply 19
Unless you're already very good, I think the best way to get lessons in uni would be to find a music student to do it. Private lessons are expensive.

Latest

Trending

Trending