The Student Room Group

What jobs can I get with my degree that are not linked to degree?

I recently graduated with a 2:1 in BSc Digital Design. The jobs I have been applying to are along the lines of Digital Marketing, UX/UI Design and just general digital designer jobs. I have also looked into civil service and jobs related to that area. I just don’t really want to get into a design job but I don’t really know what other careers I can do with my degree. Digital Marketing does still interest me however I am not as qualified as people who studied it and it’s such a popular job it’s hard to get into. I am just stuck as to what career path to take and what other options I have?
Most jobs will be open to you.
Being entirely honest I don't think you should apply for digital marketing jobs unless they have a strong creative focus to them. Reason being that it's become a very popular choice of career for graduates and it's hard to stand out unless you have a certain skill. In-house is forgiving but agencies will usually declare they want 2+ years experience in a specific area (e.g. SEO, social, PPC).

I myself have 2 years experience in marketing from internships, temp and contract jobs, and have been struggling massively to get a permanent position. My sister and her boyfriend are also struggling, albeit with no experience and a relevant degree from a top university (MA Marketing). It really feels like a terrible choice of career for new graduates now whereas it was piss easy in 2015.

UX/UI is a good choice if you've got a portfolio. I live with a UI Designer so if you have any questions, feel free to send them over and I'll ask.

Beyond that, companies seem to always be hiring for graphic designers and web developers. You can apply for administrative positions too.

--

Edit: I just came across this nugget, which was for an entry-level account exec job with a small regional digital agency.

Graduating from XXXX University in 2012 with a degree in Marketing, Design and Communications, XXXX brings over seven years of industry experience working within both in-house and agency roles and has achieved several digital marketing qualifications from companies such as Hootsuite, Google and Udemy.

It's hard to compete.
(edited 4 years ago)
realistically:

any graduate scheme in any business support function of an org (Marketing, HR, IT, Ops etc)

entry level roles in business functions (esp. if you have the skill-set to prove you can contribute or like an assistant/admin job with scope to grow)

less competitive prof services grad jobs (e.g. non-big4/mid tier audit traineeships, non-brand name IT/digital consulting firms, lesser known agencies, paralegal with the view of a TC eventually etc)

product/UX design roles (given you have a portfolio)

content strat/writing roles (given you have a portfolio)

SWE (esp. front-end web, or native apps) if you can be bothered to code

sales jobs (from being an AE/representative/recruitment consultant to lead gen to account management/customer success/client services)

further study to get into med, nursing etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending