The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ssk2
Brutal? Perhaps. Chance to gain a massive warchest and have virtually ALL of the nation's press around you every day? Definitely. Once we start hearing concrete policies from McCain, that gap will shrink.

Like what? Stay in Iraq for *100* years (yes out of context.) and being not too knowledgeable about the economy (he admitted it himself...)

Economy and Iraq, and McCain's on the wrong side of both of them. McCain's position in Iraq is at odds with general American opinion, although he is seen as better in handling the war in Iraq due to his military expertise.
I absolutely love the recent MoveOn.Org "Not Alex" ad BTW... Amazing. That's going to have some effect on the female voters.
Reply 222
Economy and Iraq, and McCain's on the wrong side of both of them. McCain's position in Iraq is at odds with general American opinion, although he is seen as better in handling the war in Iraq due to his military expertise.

In your opinion.... Also, you're forgetting that though the economy and Iraq WILL be big areas of debate, there are masses of other policy areas that neither candidate has spoken of that may provide to be a stumbling block or a massive help. What about social policies? Environment? And I can't believe we're not discussing immigration! A massive issue in the States atm.
ssk2
In your opinion.... Also, you're forgetting that though the economy and Iraq WILL be big areas of debate, there are masses of other policy areas that neither candidate has spoken of that may provide to be a stumbling block or a massive help. What about social policies? Environment? And I can't believe we're not discussing immigration! A massive issue in the States atm.

Both of them backed by two recent polls. And the Americans don't love the Iraq War.
ssk2

McCain can be perceived to be better than Obama for economy if he plays his cards right. For Iraq, it is considerably more difficult.
Reply 225
Made in the USA
What is pathetic about it?

If people here are still pushing pathetic right wing "talking points" like that flag pin BS and "Obama's a Muslim" they're utter morons.

Obama beats McCain in every way.

What a lot of people don't seem to realise is that the President is almost more important as a figurehead, and by choosing the right advisors than as an authority unto himself.

As a public speaker and inspirational figure - Obama kills McCain, pure and simple.

On Iraq - Obama kills McCain. Iraq will be McCain's Sword of Damocles... no matter what he does, it's always going to be there hanging over his head.

On the economy - the Iraq war's causing far more harm to the US economy (and economies worldwide) than proposed spending. The US healthcare system NEEDS fixing, as does the education system - and it's far from just a moral issue. What a lot of people don't seem to see is that it isn't needless "welfare for the poor" - it's a fundamental investment which will benefit the economy!

A HEALTHIER, BETTER EDUCATED WORKFORCE WILL CREATE MORE WEALTH.

You've also got McCain's age and health to consider... he'll be a one-term president at best, and his health IS going to be a worry.

The McCain of 2000 is a candidate who would've been a match for Obama, and a far better President if he won. He's sold his soul to the far right movement as of late - and that's something which will cost him dear now that that particular movement has been so damaged by the actions of Bush.
Reply 226
I see that the McCain has been taking a leaf out of JFK's book in the last few days with regards to his energy policy, offering USD$300 million to anyone who can build a more efficient battery than the hybrid (complete gimmick) and then coming out today by setting the goal of 2025 as the "D-Day" for the US to be completely free of foreign oil dependence.

All sounds a bit like empty rhetoric to me.
Don't worry, Obama will win, the American majority are not yet so stupid as to not vote for him.
Reply 228
All sounds a bit like empty rhetoric to me.

And Obama's 'change' speeches don't?!
ssk2

The difference between a person who graduated near the top of his Harvard Law class and the other guy who graduated near the bottom of his naval academy?

How about being 72 years old and having the honor to be the oldest president in US history?
Reply 230
ssk2

You evidently missed my rather pathetic attempt at humour..
Reply 231
Teofilo
You evidently missed my rather pathetic attempt at humour..

Don't worry I got it.

*hug*
Made in the USA

2.) Father Was A Goat Herder - LIAR, he was a privileged, well educated youth, who went on to work with the Kenyan Government.

3.) Father Was A Proud Freedom Fighter - LIAR, he was part of one of the most corrupt and violent governments Kenya has ever had.

5.) My Grandmother Has Always Been A Christian - LIAR, she does her daily Salat prayers at 5:00 AM according to her own interviews. Not to mention, Christianity wouldn't allow her to have been one of 14 wives to 1 man.
7) (Accedentally deleted this one-false)

8.) My School In Indone si a Was Christian - LIAR, you were registered as Muslim there and got in trouble in Koranic Studies for making faces

9.) I Was Fluent In Indonesian - LIAR, not one teacher says you could speak the language.

10.) Because I Lived In Indonesia, I Have More Foreign Experience - LIAR, you were there from the ages of 6 to 10, and couldn't even speak the language. What did you learn, how to study the Koran and watch cartoons.

11.) I Am Stronger On Foreign Affairs - LIAR, except for Africa (surprise) and the Middle East (bigger surprise), you have never been anywhere else on the planet and thus have NO experience with our closest allies.

12.) I Blame My Early Drug Use On Ethnic Confusion - LIAR, you were quite content in high school to be Barry Obama, no mention of Kenya and no mention of struggle to identify - your classmates said you were just fine.
22.) I Wrote A Tough Nuclear Bil l - LIAR, your bill was rejected by your own party for its pandering and lack of all regulation - mainly because of your Nuclear Donor, Exelon, from which David Axelrod came.

23.) I Have Released My State Records - LIAR, as of March, 2008, state bills you sponsored or voted for have yet to be released, exposing all the special interests pork hidden within.

24.) I Took On The Asbestos Altgeld Gardens Mess - LIAR, you were part of a large group of people who remedied Altgeld Gardens. You failed to mention anyone else but yourself, in your books.

25.) My Economics Bill Will Help America - LIAR, your 111 economic policies were just combined into a proposal which lost 99-0, and even YOU voted against your own bill.

26.) I Have Been A Bold Leader In Illinois - LIAR, even your own supporters claim to have not seen BOLD action on your part.

27.) I Passed 26 Of My Own Bills In One Year - LIAR, they were not YOUR bills, but rather handed to you, after the ir creation by a fellow Senator, to assist you in a future bid for higher office.

29.) I Am Tough On Terrorism - LIAR, you missed the Iran Resolution vote on terrorism and your good friend Ali Abunimah supports the destruction of I srael.

31.) I Didn't Run Ads In Florida - LIAR, you allowed national ads to run 8-12 times per day for two weeks - and you still lost.

33.) I won Nevada - LIAR, no you did not.

34.) I Want All Votes To Count - LIAR, you said let the delegates decide.

35.) I Want Americans To Decide - LIAR, y ou p refer caucuses that limit the vote, confuse the voters, force a public vote, and only operate during small windows of time.

36.) I passed 900 Bills in the State Senate - LIAR, you passed 26, most of which you didn't write yourself.

37.) My Campaign Was Extorted By A Friend - LIAR, that friend is threatening to sue if you do not stop saying this. Obama has stopped saying this.

38.) I Believe In Fairness, Not Tactics - LIAR, you used tactics to eliminate Alice Palmer from running against you.

39.) I Don't Take PAC Money - LIAR, you take loads of it.

40.) I don't Have Lobbyists - LIAR, you have over 47 lobbyists, and counting.

41.) My Campaign Had Nothing To Do With The 1984 Ad - LIAR, your own campaign worker made the ad on his Apple in one afternoon.

43.) I Inspire People With My Words - LI AR, you inspire people with other people's words.

44.) I Have Passed Bills In The U.S. Senate - LIAR, you have passed A BILL in the U.S. Senate - for Africa, which shows YOUR priorities.

45.) I Have Always Been Against Iraq - LIAR, you weren't in office to vote against it AND you have voted to fund it every single time, unlike Kucinich, who seems to be out gutting you Obama. You also seem to be stepping back from your departure date - AGAIN.

46.) I Have Always Supported Universal Health Care - LIAR, your plan leaves us all to pay the 15,000,000 who don't have to buy it.

47.) I Only Found Out About My Investment Conflicts Via Mail - LIAR, both companies you site as having sent you letters about this conflict have no record of any such letter ever being created or sent.

48.) I Am As Patriotic As Anyone - LIAR, you won't wear a flag pin and you don't put your hand over your heart during the National Anthem.

49.) My Wife Didn't Mean What She Said About Pride In Country - LIAR, your wife's words follow lock-step in the vein of Wright and Farrahkan, in relation to their contempt and hatred of America.

50.) Wal-Mart Is A Company I Wouldn't Support - LIAR, your wife has received nearly a quarter of a million dollars through Treehouse, which is connected to Wal-Mart.

These are all false-and quite a lot are just opinion (not wearing a flag pin makes you non-patriotic? McCain didn't wear one on campagn either) or just unfounded BS.

Look at fightthesmears.com
WharfedaleTiger
These are all false-and quite a lot are just opinion (not wearing a flag pin makes you non-patriotic? McCain didn't wear one on campagn either) or just unfounded BS.

Good idea to take the smear head-on, but the website won't reach most of the skeptics and is not making enough noise to generate interest.
s.e.r.e.n.e
Good idea to take the smear head-on, but the website won't reach most of the skeptics and is not making enough noise to generate interest.

I know, the only way to do that is to actually tell people about it.

That is just smears. The whole thing
s.e.r.e.n.e
How about being 72 years old and having the honor to be the oldest president in US history?

No problem, if it doesn't affect his job then it shouldn't be a problem. Ageism shouldn't be tolerated just like the same way as sexism, racism or any other form of discrimination isn't either.
Sharpshooter
No problem, if it doesn't affect his job then it shouldn't be a problem. Ageism shouldn't be tolerated just like the same way as sexism, racism or any other form of discrimination isn't either.

If it doesn't affect his job then yes it shouldn't be used against him. However the concern is whether it actually will affect his job, in which case it can be used as a discriminating factor, unlike race or sex. You cannot tell for sure, but considering the travelling, stress, work etc involved, his age (at which most people have retired) is significant.
Who's_buying?
If it doesn't affect his job then yes it shouldn't be used against him. However the concern is whether it actually will affect his job, in which case it can be used as a discriminating factor, unlike race or sex. You cannot tell for sure, but considering the travelling, stress, work etc involved, his age (at which most people have retired) is significant.

To be fair on him, in an age where people are living 20 years longer than they did within living memory - being a president in your 70's is no worse than many other presidents in the US's history - and he does have a full compliment of brain cells which many others haven't possesed.
WharfedaleTiger

I looked at fight the smears and very few of the points they raise contradict anything on the list. What do you think about point #43 being true? I think it's pretty serious that so many of his speeches are plagiarized. Does it bother you that he ripped off this speech from Mario Cuomo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYa8k09V7lI

Not only are most of Obama's ideas failed, moldy ideas from the Carter administration, but even the speeches are recycled.
Made in the USA
I looked at fight the smears and very few of the points they raise contradict anything on the list. What do you think about point #43 being true? I think it's pretty serious that so many of his speeches are plagiarized. Does it bother you that he ripped off this speech from Mario Cuomo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYa8k09V7lI

Not only are most of Obama's ideas failed, moldy ideas from the Carter administration, but even the speeches are recycled.

There's nothing that wrong with recycling policy - many things have been done before in history which could make a positive contribution if instituted now - though when you are lifting your main catchphrase from a british childrens television program (Yes We Can!!!) then you are probably going too far down that particular road*.

* Admittedly I haven't got a clue if he did lift it or not - I sincerely do hope that he did, massively unlikely as it is.

Latest

Trending

Trending