Monika reji
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,
I am Monika reji, a pharm D student ,India.

I want to know about the OSPAP course in UK.
1) Do the University is providing visa extension for students who are completing the OSPAP course, if not then what are the options ( criteria to stay) to stay in UK to complete the pre registration training period after the OSPAP course?
2) Do I need to have any experience after the 6 yrs of pharm D course to do the OSPAP course?
3) what is the minimum marks required in pharm D course(every year) to do OSPAP in UK
4) what are the process that the University uses to recruit the students for the OSPAP course?
5) Is there any exam after the OSPAP course to register as a clinical pharmacist in UK?
Turkerc1
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Monika reji)
Hello,
I am Monika reji, a pharm D student ,India.

I want to know about the OSPAP course in UK.
1) Do the University is providing visa extension for students who are completing the OSPAP course, if not then what are the options ( criteria to stay) to stay in UK to complete the pre registration training period after the OSPAP course?
2) Do I need to have any experience after the 6 yrs of pharm D course to do the OSPAP course?
3) what is the minimum marks required in pharm D course(every year) to do OSPAP in UK
4) what are the process that the University uses to recruit the students for the OSPAP course?
5) Is there any exam after the OSPAP course to register as a clinical pharmacist in UK?
hello Monika!
I am one of the applicants for OSPAP 2020 and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1) That depends on the type of course you select. Uni. Hertfordshire only offers PGDip (postgraduate diploma) that means your student visa (tier 4) ends at the end of your term (on this occasion June 2021) and then you will have to find a tier 2 visa sponsorship from your employer as a Pre-reg pharmacist to continue living in the UK. Brighton and Kingston also offer MSc, which enables you to get visa until October of next term; so you do not have to worry about your visa until you find recruitment.

2) A huge gap would be a problem, like you graduated 6 years ago and never worked as a pharmacist or did not do any further education. But a maternity gap or a military service for 1-2 years would be reasonable. So yes, I think you need experience and you will have to explain any gaps you have in your CV.

3) I don't think your pharm D marks have any influence over your OSPAP eligibility. The main things that make you eligible for OSPAP are
- Sufficient and recent IELTS result
- Proof that you are a member of your local pharmacist association (a good standing letter)
- At least a bachelor of pharmacy degree obtained in 4 years (which will be subject to a NARIC comparability assessment)
- 2 references supporting your application
-Documents regarding your identity

4) First of all you need to complete and send your documents to the GPhC office in London by post. They will evaluate your application and if successful they will let you know via e-mail. Next step is to apply one of the five uni.s in the UK that provide the OSPAP course. There should not be much criteria because you have to pay to apply. The only criterion for Kingston and Brighton on their OSPAP website is the one regarding IELTS which is the same with the GPhC's requirements. Another issue would be time; if you apply too late like late september you may miss the term because it starts in October. Because after your application to the uni. is successfully completed, you will need time to apply for a visa if you need one.

5) I am not sure of that. Although regardless of your position, by the end of your pre-reg year, you will have to sit for a final exam, only after which you can be fully registered as a UK pharmacist. I read that to increase your chances for a clinical pharmacy post, you would have to have necessary post-graduate qualifications or if you apply for MSc OSPAP courses, maybe then you would have a better opportunity to gain such qualifications within the UK.

Sorry about the late answer., wish you all the best.

Turker
Monika reji
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Turkerc1)
hello Monika!
I am one of the applicants for OSPAP 2020 and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1) That depends on the type of course you select. Uni. Hertfordshire only offers PGDip (postgraduate diploma) that means your student visa (tier 4) ends at the end of your term (on this occasion June 2021) and then you will have to find a tier 2 visa sponsorship from your employer as a Pre-reg pharmacist to continue living in the UK. Brighton and Kingston also offer MSc, which enables you to get visa until October of next term; so you do not have to worry about your visa until you find recruitment.

2) A huge gap would be a problem, like you graduated 6 years ago and never worked as a pharmacist or did not do any further education. But a maternity gap or a military service for 1-2 years would be reasonable. So yes, I think you need experience and you will have to explain any gaps you have in your CV.

3) I don't think your pharm D marks have any influence over your OSPAP eligibility. The main things that make you eligible for OSPAP are
- Proof that you are a member of your local pharmacist association (a good standing letter)
- At least a bachelor of pharmacy degree obtained in 4 years (which will be subject to a NARIC comparability assessment)

4) First of all you need to complete and send your documents to the GPhC office in London by post. They will evaluate your application and if successful they will let you know via e-mail. Next step is to apply one of the five uni.s in the UK that provide the OSPAP course. There should not be much criteria because you have to pay to apply. The only criterion for Kingston and Brighton on their OSPAP website is the one regarding IELTS which is the same with the GPhC's requirements. Another issue would be time; if you apply too late like late september you may miss the term because it starts in October. Because after your application to the uni. is successfully completed, you will need time to apply for a visa if you need one.

5) I am not sure of that. Although regardless of your position, by the end of your pre-reg year, you will have to sit for a final exam, only after which you can be fully registered as a UK pharmacist. I read that to increase your chances for a clinical pharmacy post, you would have to have necessary post-graduate qualifications or if you apply for MSc OSPAP courses, maybe then you would have a better opportunity to gain such qualifications within the UK.

Turker
Thank you so much for your kind information

And let me ask you one thing ,

My course completion year is July 2021 , it will be a heavy task for me to enter for September 2021 intake for msc ospap. So in order to save a year , if I'm apply for the msc cardiovascular disease on September 2021 , and after successful completion of the this course in September 2022 , and join for msc ospap in September 2022

I have selected this option as want to save a year

And my question is

1) if I firstly go for this msc in cardiovascular disease , will this have any addon effect in my career as I'm aiming to become a clinical pharmacist in uk .
2)as told above , can I apply for the msc ospap soon after msc cardiovascular disease from UK itself without an year lag .
3) pharm D from India - msc cardiovascular disease - msc ospap - one year pre registration training - 6 months clinical diploma and prescribing course - clinical pharmacist in uk specilazied in cardiology .
This was the information I receive ,when I enquiry about how to become a clinical pharmacist in uk through cousins who have receive uk citizen ship . Is this flow chart is correct ? Any corrections with these flow chart ?

Excepting your reply
Thanking you
Have a great day
Wishing you happy Christmas and Happy New year
Turkerc1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

My course completion year is July 2021 , it will be a heavy task for me to enter for September 2021 intake for msc ospap. So in order to save a year , if I'm apply for the msc cardiovascular disease on September 2021 , and after successful completion of the this course in September 2022 , and join for msc ospap in September 2022

And my question is

1) if I firstly go for this msc in cardiovascular disease , will this have any addon effect in my career as I'm aiming to become a clinical pharmacist in uk .
2)as told above , can I apply for the msc ospap soon after msc cardiovascular disease from UK itself without an year lag .
3) pharm D from India - msc cardiovascular disease - msc ospap - one year pre registration training - 6 months clinical diploma and prescribing course - clinical pharmacist in uk specilazied in cardiology .
This was the information I receive ,when I enquiry about how to become a clinical pharmacist in uk through cousins who have receive uk citizen ship . Is this flow chart is correct ? Any corrections with these flow chart ?

Excepting your reply
Thanking you
Have a great day
Hello again Monika!

Glad I've been able to help. Regarding your recent questions;

1) I am not sure if I fully understood what you meant by "add-on" effect. A completed Cardiovascular MSc should be a positive aspect of your CV if you are aiming to be a clinical pharmacist but the important thing to get a clinical pharmacist job in the UK should be getting interviews and then demostrating your occupational know-how to the interviewer so you increase your chances of getting a job. OSPAP is just about converting overseas pharmacists to UK ones. It does not impact your career much other than enabling you to work in the UK.

2) I guess your schedule will be quite tight; however,it is pretty possible. Obviously then you would have to apply for OSPAP before finishing your previous MSc. I think if you really want to do it, you should secure your IELTS asap. Then it is just a matter of documentation. Bearing in mind most documents for OSPAP should be retained within the last three months of your application, you can start gathering your papers in June 2022. You would post them at the end of June because approval usually takes 1 month. Then you would contact with the uni. that you prefer, pay the tuition fee. I did not do that yet, but I am assuming that would take at least 1 month as well. Then, if everything goes well (if you need one) you would apply for visa (you need to book an appointment way before to avoid a lag; you will understand what I mean if you're familiar to visa processes) so that by the end of september you will have enough time to plan ahead about your 1 year course, accomodation and lots of stuff.
Last edited by Turkerc1; 2 years ago
Turkerc1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

And my question is

Excepting your reply
Thanking you
Have a great day
3) Honestly I do not know much about becoming a clinical pharmacist in the UK, although the path that your relatives suggest looks reasonable. In my home country, Turkey, my father and mother have been community pharmacists for more than 30 years and I have been a community pharmacist for 9 years and never got academic after my bachelor's degree. For me, I am just looking to secure my OSPAP spot and while I am in the UK, I am trying to secure an internship experience in a community pharmacy so I do not get alienated when I do pre-reg. I would like to get a clinical pharmacist job but I am not sure if I can. In your situation, the critical element should be securing a clinical pharmacy post for your pre-reg year. And again to succeed in that, it is good to have a related MSc in your CV beforehand.

As far as I can see from the previous posts by pharmacists here, it is said that there is a great deal of competition for clinical pharmacy posts in the UK, but it is worth the investment since there is a better chance to rise through the ranks and the pay is better for clinical pharmacists. I do not know much about that because in my country, clinical pharmacists maybe represent just 0.1 % of all pharmacists and the field is under progress and much is yet to happen.

My wife is a paediatrician and paediatrics is a shortage occupation in the UK. What happened 2 years ago is that she applied for an observership for 3 months in a UK uni. hospital. During her observership she got acquainted with the consultants in the hospital and the next year they were lacking staff and posted a job offer and when she applied for it, they were content to hire her because they knew that she was a good applicant. So the bottom line is, -especially when you are overseas and much of your documentation is hard to digest for UK/EU authorities- it is good to get acquaintance with the role and the job you are aiming at before searching for job opportunities.

One thing I know is that you can get UK citizenship if you work as a pharmacist for 5 consecutive years after you graduate from OSPAP because you will be a Tier-2 visa holder. That is among my targets but it is a bit farfetched right now.

It is good to stay in touch and share information so I'll do that from time to time.

I wish you too, all the best, a merry christmas and a happy new year.
Turker
Last edited by Turkerc1; 2 years ago
AbidaS
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hello. Can anyone tell me if the university course for the OSPAP is difficult to do? Is there any reading material that can be given in advance to help with the course work?
Falguni24
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Turkerc1)
hello Monika!

Turker
Hi, I needed to know if gphc sends me an outcome for eligibility by end of August, how likely am I to be still accepted at university to start the same year? I am concerned as some of my paperwork are being delayed. I have already done the registration process with Aston but they have sent me a reply to hold until they get GPHC outcome. does this mean, if gphc letter is received in late August, would they not let me in if spaces run out?
Manish Mohan
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Turkerc1 Hope you are well. My Name is Shika , i have finished my mpharm in india. Then last year i came to UK to do msc in bio medical science. i am nearing the finish . once i botain my bio medical degre can i apply for ospap and also can i get away by not doing ielts or oet as I have already completed msc in bio medical from a UK university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.5%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (54)
45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads