Young now want authoritarian rule? Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
18 year olds are doing 1 year national service and not permanently joining the military. You are instilling discipline and community in them.
From one year? I doubt it. You're more likely going to teach them how to beat the crap out of others more efficiently without the time required to instill discipline. Or at the far end of the spectrum make them resent authority even more and act out accordingly.
Djtoodles
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe going authoritarian isnt the best way forward, however what we have now is clearly not working, it hasnt worked for years and it is slowly but surely ruining the country. Our government is a joke, our economy is a shambles, our legal system is horrific and doesnt protect anyone, the infrastructure is falling to bits, etc etc etc.

Frankly with how poorly the current system we have in place works I would be willing to roll the dice on a dictator.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
From one year? I doubt it. You're more likely going to teach them how to beat the crap out of others more efficiently without the time required to instill discipline. Or at the far end of the spectrum make them resent authority even more and act out accordingly.
Oh think that you might be surprised what can happen with 1 years army discipline.
Saying that I would not back the return of national service because, I'm afraid, that the majority of those called up would lack the moral fibre and more pertinently the jacobs to be worthy of wearing the uniform.
I know that some of you will find that offensive but go and watch Dunkirk or they shall not grow old, then ask yourselves if you could do that if your country called upon your service.
To think that some of those people are the ones who's views some on here deride and degrade, quite frankly it's nothing short of disgusting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.52%
Excited (156)
9.13%
Worried (306)
17.91%
Terrified (380)
22.24%
Meh (168)
9.83%
Confused (37)
2.17%