Laptops for uni Watch

Rsbrandt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey, anyone got an recommendations for laptops? Needing to buy for uni to do nursing but not sure if I will require a specific program like windows 365 etc?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rsbrandt)
Hey, anyone got an recommendations for laptops? Needing to buy for uni to do nursing but not sure if I will require a specific program like windows 365 etc?
most universities have an access for you to have a licence to office 365 so i wouldn't worry about that, just go for something reasonably lightweight with a decent battery.
mediclyfe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
^^ agree. Also find something with decent storage space!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Paolo3100
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what's your budget?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rsbrandt)
Contact your university and ask if you will be required to download any specific software during your studies. While most software is compatible across all operating systems these days, that doesn't mean that it wasn't developed with a specific OS in mind (i.e. Windows).
Mr. Petrol Head
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
b00mzx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mediclyfe)
^^ agree. Also find something with decent storage space
Alternatively you could buy a cheaper laptop and have OneDrive/DropBox etc? I paid £59.99 for Office 365 and you get 1TB of storage on OneDrive which is more than enough space for everything. My laptop was £300 from Curry's - Lenovo Ideapad 320S last year and has worked perfectly well.

Laptop's are a personal choice, it's up to you whether you buy cheap for now or invest. There's no right or wrong way!

Also shop around for software, don't just pay out for things just because you have to. Things like AntiVirus you can get for free from AVG for a basic one. I've got Kaspersky and that was <£20 a year for the full thing.
Nint123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
great video, this thought popped into my head last week. Get a gaming PC and a standard laptop. This re-assures me. Thank you mate
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nint123)
great video, this thought popped into my head last week. Get a gaming PC and a standard laptop. This re-assures me. Thank you mate
Exactly! I am so glad I found this video. I am really happy with my PC as it does CAD programs without breaking a sweat. Hope you would have enjoyed your decision too mate
SubZero~
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
90% of people in my lectures use some form of MacBook. Feels good to be honest being one of the few who have Windows laptops.
Paolo3100
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you dont need a gaming laptop or macbook for nursing. I would highly advise to buy a laptop within the £500 to £700 range. Highly recommend either an i5 or i7 for cpu.
Sadie3500
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Defiantly one that's compatible and has the same applications as whatever is at you're uni. I've just brought a MacBook because that's all there is at my uni and any other laptop requires exporting or things just don't work. Obviously expensive though, had to save for a while but if you're going to use it every day and it'll benefit your work and future career maybe it's worth it.
Whatever you can afford and whatever will get the job done!
Matman206
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most Lenovo Laptops are good and they have really nice keybaords. I have a beast of a machine but they do do lighter ones. Stick to something with an Intel i5 and you shouldn't go far wrong
b00mzx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Paolo3100)
you dont need a gaming laptop or macbook for nursing. I would highly advise to buy a laptop within the £500 to £700 range. Highly recommend either an i5 or i7 for cpu.
That was what I was thinking too, whoever suggested the gaming laptop video needs to reread the OP 🙄 it’s plain overkill. <£500 will get you a great laptop and if you shop around it may come with office built in 😀
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by b00mzx)
That was what I was thinking too, whoever suggested the gaming laptop video needs to reread the OP 🙄 it’s plain overkill. <£500 will get you a great laptop and if you shop around it may come with office built in 😀
A decent 200£ chromebook will do all the office apps well with much better battery life where as a desktop will be great for playing fortnite on weekends and doing some simulation stuff for uni.
b00mzx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
A decent 200£ chromebook will do all the office apps well with much better battery life where as a desktop will be great for playing fortnite on weekends and doing some simulation stuff for uni.
Yes I get what you’re saying, I watched the video and ended up skipping most of it. The OP is using it for nursing so assuming this means assignments and dissertation and not playing fortnite and simulation stuff? Each to their own I guess but imo it’s overkill.

Yes you’re right about the Chromebooks though 👏🏻
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by b00mzx)
Yes I get what you’re saying, I watched the video and ended up skipping most of it. The OP is using it for nursing so assuming this means assignments and dissertation and not playing fortnite and simulation stuff? Each to their own I guess but imo it’s overkill.

Yes you’re right about the Chromebooks though 👏🏻
Since OP is a nurse, Chromebooks are the best choice for her. She could save a ton of money and get much more than for what she would pay for a fully flegged windows laptop which can get painstakingly slower with use. Chrome books tend to be much more optimized for the specs they run on
Paolo3100
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
personally I wouldnt go for a chromebook because most apps are designed for windows so you get a wider selection on what you can do with your laptop. a chromebook for £200 is going to have very little storage and about 4 gb ram which i wouldn't reccomend for even a nursing course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads