groovychez89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Just wanted to know what people think of these two universities as i am considering both for teachers training. Any one got pros and cons of both universities as a whole and the towns around them, nightlife, shopping etc!?
thanks xx
apotoftea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Winchester's very good for teaching. Don't know about Kingston for teaching - sure someone else does though.

You're comparing very different locations though. Winchester's a sleepy cathedral "city" whilst Kingston is a bustling place with a much bigger night life etc etc
groovychez89
Rep:
?
(Original post by apotoftea)
Winchester's very good for teaching. Don't know about Kingston for teaching - sure someone else does though.

You're comparing very different locations though. Winchester's a sleepy cathedral "city" whilst Kingston is a bustling place with a much bigger night life etc etc
Yeah I know I am, Im a bit worried about Kingston because of the whole London thing, cost of living more expensive and I want to be able to take my car and I know ill have to give it up if i lived in London!
apotoftea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Taken from Winchester's student accomodation policy handbook:

"Except in the case of disabled students displaying orange/blue disabled persons badges in their vehicle, or single parent families with permission, (students must) not park any motor vehicle on any premises belonging to the University at any time."

http://www.winchester.ac.uk/view.ashx?Item=21826

Tbh, I don't know of many unis where you can keep your car on campus, especially not at the smaller ones
twistme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I went to 6th form in Winchester, and there wasn't much in the way of nightlife - loads of pubs, not much open after 12. Southampton is pretty good though, and there's a night bus at weekends that only costs a few quid.
suek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Kingston isn't really in London. Well, technically it is. But Kingston itself is a lot more like a big town outside of London, and it's actually in Surrey, and about a 25 minute train ride away from London.

You probably still wouldn't be able to take your car though
groovychez89
Rep:
?
wel i just spoke to my friend who goes to winchester and she says you can get a permit for like sixty quid. Giving up my car is something ill just have to think about.. makes me so sad!
any other pros and cons for me would be greatly apprieciated! x
gracie88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can take your car to Kingston and you don't need to pay for a permit. The halls of residence have parking spaces and you get given a pass to use them, admittedly you can only park your car at your halls but it's still free.

Kingston also isn't London as someone else pointed out, but you can reach London with ease. I know one girl on the teaching course here and she's just about to graduate, she seems to have enjoyed it
groovychez89
Rep:
?
(Original post by gracie88)
You can take your car to Kingston and you don't need to pay for a permit. The halls of residence have parking spaces and you get given a pass to use them, admittedly you can only park your car at your halls but it's still free.

Kingston also isn't London as someone else pointed out, but you can reach London with ease. I know one girl on the teaching course here and she's just about to graduate, she seems to have enjoyed it
thanks for that, thats interesting
kingston 1 winchester 0!
is there lots to do in kingston?? shopping, nightlife etc.xx
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you go to Winchester you're likely to meet my mate, who is crazy.
groovychez89
Rep:
?
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
If you go to Winchester you're likely to meet my mate, who is crazy.
ok.. winchester it is then! haha
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by groovychez89)
ok.. winchester it is then! haha
I hope you're good at dealing with people who think they need to do 100 sit ups every hour because their stomach goes out when they eat... Or can handle the inevitable fall out from her relationship breaking up. You have been warned
gracie88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by groovychez89)
thanks for that, thats interesting
kingston 1 winchester 0!
is there lots to do in kingston?? shopping, nightlife etc.xx
Hugggge amounts of shopping, there's pretty much every shop in Kingston and if they don't take your fancy London is only 20 minutes by train anyway (travelcard is like £5 with a young persons railcard). There's 2 big clubs and lots of pubs and bars around, again London is only 20 minutes away. You've got places like Richmond park and Hampton court for a bit of scenery.
groovychez89
Rep:
?
(Original post by gracie88)
Hugggge amounts of shopping, there's pretty much every shop in Kingston and if they don't take your fancy London is only 20 minutes by train anyway (travelcard is like £5 with a young persons railcard). There's 2 big clubs and lots of pubs and bars around, again London is only 20 minutes away. You've got places like Richmond park and Hampton court for a bit of scenery.
im liking the sound of that! I am going to come up to the open day in october, see what its like! I've heard such good things about both winchester and kingston so its a tough choice! Like someone else said, they both very different so hopefully ill be able to decide between them!
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm attending Kingston this year. For me, it's absolutly ideal;

It's near family (don't affect you, I know. :P)
The town is big enough for my shopping needs and small enough not to totally overwhelm a little country girl like myself
The parking is free and Kingston Hill (where you'll be) has a large multi-story.
It's very close to major transport links for getting around.
The teaching is one of the best in the country - It ranks very highly in Teaching Training rankings.
suek
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The other thing that I think is a big plus for Kingston is that it's on the Thames. Doesn't sound all that exciting, but there's a lot of pubs, restaurants and bars along the river, can lead to a really pleasant summer's afternoon

Kingston itself is a nice uni from what I've seen of it (open day and interview). The reason I'm not going is that it'd be pointless for me to pay for accommodation (I'm a 20 min main bus ride away), so living at home is the only sensible choice, except I can't bear to do that anymore (I'm 22..).

Very friendly atmosphere, Kingston Hill campus is very pretty.

The clubs are popular, the shops are great - it's got a big shopping centre (Bentalls centre), a smaller shopping centre, and a proper high street too, an old market area, department stores, a Primark.. it's got it all, really.
Alfchick60
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've lived in Winchester all my life and honestly can't wait to leave to go to uni! Winchester is a 'pretty' place to live but there is nothing to do here really. The nightlife is not that great either.
flexiblefish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hiya, in addition to the PM i sent you, have you tried posting (and searching) http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffro...dent+teachers/

for others in your situation
~ Purple Rose ~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I went to Winchester and loved it .
Go and visit them both and see which you like the feel of best.
FM08
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
personally I would stay wellllllllllllllll away from Kingston Uni. Went there today and everything about it is rubbish. Seriously don't get me started. I think I would prefer going to Luton university than Kingston University.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.06%
Not great so far... (281)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.31%

Watched Threads