Will unis care if you decide to live off-campus from start to finish? Watch

Bugzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
This is aimed at the higher universities, such as Warwick, LSE, Oxford etc.

Me and the missus are aiming to rent a flat/apartment, and so i won't be living on the campus at any point in my uni-life.

Are there any universities who will get arsey about this?
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I doubt it. They can't force you to live on-campus.
Lizj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know Cambridge won't let you live out.
Warwick could be difficult as I believe there is not a lot of off-campus accommodation nearby? Don't know about Oxford, but as for the rest it's your decision.
Student2806
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lizj)
I know Cambridge won't let you live out.
:confused: can they do that?
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think with Oxford you have to spend a certain amoutn of the year within a certain distance of the city. I can't remember exactly, but I know people who have lived outside of their college.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
:confused: can they do that?
Of course. Oxbridge don't even allow you to have a job, and make it effectively impossible to own a car, by providing no parking at all. For more or less all other Universities, however, living in University accomodation is purely optional.
Student2806
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
Of course. Oxbridge don't even allow you to have a job, and make it effectively impossible to own a car, by providing no parking at all. For more or less all other Universities, however, living in University accomodation is purely optional.
what a boring life they must lead :p:
kamie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oxford say this:
1. (1) Unless regulations 4(2), 6, or 7 below apply, student members who are reading for a degree awarded on passing the Second Public Examination must reside, for the period prescribed for that degree, within six miles from Carfax.
2. (2) A student member to whom paragraph (1) above applies may reside within twenty-five miles from Carfax if he or she:
1. (a) holds the status of Senior Student or has already satisfied the examiners in a Second Public Examination; or
2. (b) resides in the home of his or her parent or guardian.

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/examregs/0...IVERSITY.shtml
ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
LSE wont care
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course. Oxbridge don't even allow you to have a job
During term time, if the tutors say no.
The plus side being if you say you need a part time term time job (& TBH, I doubt most people do - you can earn plenty over the vacations & having a fixed employment commitment during term would probably have some detrimental effect on work/play/sleep ratios... although you can easily get away with doing casual work for the university/colleges & some people do just flout the rule anyway) to survive they will give you the money instead.

and make it effectively impossible to own a car, by providing no parking at all.
You don't need a car during term times, they're small cities - with central college accommodation!
OK, unless you're a medic perhaps, or someone else with academic commitments in obscure places, or you have mitigating circumstances, or do a particular sport & if you fit those criteria there probably will be parking available to you (e.g. graduate parking, discretionary use of SCR parking, club facility) or you'll be living out anyway with your own space.

For more or less all other Universities, however, living in University accomodation is purely optional.
Living in their accommodation generally (this is where the collegiate thing comes in - you may need to check) isn't compulsory - but strongly encouraged in the first year. Although there may be technical location requirements about where you do live, when living out as posted. Quite a few colleges don't guarantee accommodation throughout the course - so students have to live out at some point!

My college (Oxford) has some beautiful (+city centre & bargain) partnered flats. Wish I'd managed to apply for one! :bawling:
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Carfax, thatwas the place I was thinking of! Nice to know I wasn't making things up completely!
purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oxbridge don't even allow you to have a job.
Can you elaborate on that please or give relevant links ?
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by purplefrog)
Can you elaborate on that please or give relevant links ?
If you want to know the specifics of it, you'd be better asking someone at Oxbridge, but it's a well known fact that part-time jobs are usually not permitted, certainly at Cambridge.
Miss_Scarlet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can do that at Warwick, students often live in Coventry or Leamington, but you have to inform them of that decision... I just signed my contract for next year and I remember reading about that on their accom website somewhere, so have a look around the site. If your missus is also going to be going to the same Uni, you could still live on campus and be together in the same flat/hall... you can specify this on your application form if you're both at the same Uni.

Also, if you live off campus, you will miss out on a great deal of University life. In my opinion, the best thing about University is living on campus. I didn't like the second year when I had to live off campus, and I am really looking forward to being on campus again in the final year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (9)
21.95%
No (32)
78.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed