Power cuts right across the country Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
It looks like transmission failed at the Hull wind farm and a gas plant in Cambridge (would imagine one powers the other) which triggered an automatic cut-off to prevent overload. The issue being resolved within an hour.

The bigger problem seems to be that when stuff like train lines lost power, they do not just come back on when they get power. Hence why transport issues persisted for hours after.
From the news wires:

Enappsys, an energy consultancy, said the blackout may have been caused by the unexpected shutdowns of the Hornsea offshore wind farm, which is owned by the Danish wind farm company Orsted, and the Little Barford gas-fired power plant, owned by German utility giant RWE.

My bolds.

Our EU friends delivering a little advance warning about what life after Brexit might be like? :afraid:
Eloise204010
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh damn. Mine went off for 5-15 minutes earlier, didn't know it was widespread. In the midlands
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Eloise204010; 1 week ago
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Huge blackouts today.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...latest-updates

Post your stories here, that is, if you've got any wifi. :rolleyes:

In London things have been pretty chaotic, the whole of central London has been badly affected this afternoon.

National Grid say it was due to two generators failing.
https://twitter.com/nationalgriduk?lang=en

Seems a bit implausible that this would plunge half the country into darkness. Bad planning? Insufficient resourcing? The results of privatisation of a crucial national resource?
Good. Long may Londoners continue to be inconvenienced.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So that's why there was no power in my area this evening, all of a sudden my phone stopped charging, and the lights were not working, I live in a flat and later found out the whole flat was out of power, the entrance doors were not working and everyone came out saying what happened to the power, seconds later our phone signals went down so we couldn't even call for help and that's when we realised we were ****ed big time and that the whole area was out of power. Thankfully after like 15 minutes the power was back on, but is pretty scary how dependent we have become on energy, energy is like water to us now.
Last edited by The RAR; 1 week ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From the news wires:

Enappsys, an energy consultancy, said the blackout may have been caused by the unexpected shutdowns of the Hornsea offshore wind farm, which is owned by the Danish wind farm company Orsted, and the Little Barford gas-fired power plant, owned by German utility giant RWE.

My bolds.

Our EU friends delivering a little advance warning about what life after Brexit might be like? :afraid:
I wonder what the government is going to do about the strategic implications of having, near as damnit, all of our utility companies owned by her soon to be common market enemies ?
Chloe O'L
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Had 2 power cuts in the same day (live in Swindon). First started at around half past 8 and the power went back up about an hour later, then the second one started at 1 and lasted until 7 or 8. Pretty much left us without power for the whole day. 😑It was a localised issue related to dodgy cabling, though, so probably unrelated to the national chaos. Especially considering most of Swindon seemed to be unaffected.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I found it ridiculous when I got home (I was on the bus) and they were on TV telling people. The people who needed to know wouldn't be watching TV, and the people watching TV were already home safe XD

Domestic powercuts are quite common (one or two a year) so I'd assumed public transport hubs had some extra contingency to cope, but apparently not, they've just been really lucky.
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is it the Russians? Is it eh...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
An aged engineer friend says:

"Definitely hardware problem. The Grid control room probably had to do load shedding before they got a cascading trip. We have only ever had one of these, affecting most of south London. The USA gets them regularly. It is a direct consequence of privatised energy. Our infrastructure was put in place properly before Milk Snatcher (Thatcher) privatised it.

I was concerned while doing the Hinkley C work because one thing they are required to do on each reactor is a full load scam. They then have about 30 seconds of steam and 24 hours to restart. So 1.6 gigawatts of energy has to be found quickly on the grid. They usually rely on pumped storage which can be at full power in 15 seconds but Dinorwic plus Cruachan is not enough while retaining a margin for one power station going down. They can scrape up the power but not the duration. I predicted problems. If Hinkley C is completed in winter they may have to wait until the following summer before commissioning it so there is enough capacity to do the test."
Allie4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
never got a powercut either, touch wood

and didn't even know about it until i read it on daily mail an hour ago. kinda freaked me out, i was like did i miss something, did i blank out? a powercut happened and i didn't notice it? lol
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wasn't impacted. Live in S London
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Huge blackouts today.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...latest-updates

Post your stories here, that is, if you've got any wifi. :rolleyes:

In London things have been pretty chaotic, the whole of central London has been badly affected this afternoon.

National Grid say it was due to two generators failing.
https://twitter.com/nationalgriduk?lang=en

Seems a bit implausible that this would plunge half the country into darkness. Bad planning? Insufficient resourcing? The results of privatisation of a crucial national resource?
No idea, but my London to Edinburgh journey has taken 12 hours in total because of this power failure. This journey should only take 4 hr 19 mins...

Train was scheduled for about 6:30pm yesterday

LNER got a train organised at about 10:45 going up to Newcastle

And any stops from Newcastle onwards, they arranged taxis.

Absolutely mental.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I didn't notice a thing - I wonder if this is related to being in a trial area for CLASS https://www.enwl.co.uk/zero-carbon/o...what-is-class/

which is a modern system for load balancing by controlled voltage reduction - supposedly it's going to help with the greater network instability that's anticipated as a greater proportion of renewable electricity is fed into the grid.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The RAR)
So that's why there was no power in my area this evening, all of a sudden my phone stopped charging, and the lights were not working, I live in a flat and later found out the whole flat was out of power, the entrance doors were not working and everyone came out saying what happened to the power, seconds later our phone signals went down so we couldn't even call for help and that's when we realised we were ****ed big time and that the whole area was out of power. Thankfully after like 15 minutes the power was back on, but is pretty scary how dependent we have become on energy, energy is like water to us now.
Given the number of snowflakes, I am surprised we did not see millennials running around screaming ‘we’re at war, the Russians are coming’.
(Original post by Napp)
I wonder what the government is going to do about the strategic implications of having, near as damnit, all of our utility companies owned by her soon to be common market enemies ?
The European power grid should theoretically be unaffected by Brexit however in the worst case we could build and power from domestic coal plants within 2 years.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
The European power grid should theoretically be unaffected by Brexit however in the worst case we could build and power from domestic coal plants within 2 years.
Yes because by far the most sensible thing to do right now is to promote global warming because serving the interests of some international financiers and their pathetically pointless manipulated reactionary Brexit is much more important than the planet.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Given the number of snowflakes, I am surprised we did not see millennials running around screaming ‘we’re at war, the Russians are coming’.

Atleast build nuclear ffs.

Although we shant be building anything with the tories and their love for economic stagnation and cutting.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by NJA)
An aged engineer friend says:

"Definitely hardware problem. The Grid control room probably had to do load shedding before they got a cascading trip. We have only ever had one of these, affecting most of south London. The USA gets them regularly. It is a direct consequence of privatised energy. Our infrastructure was put in place properly before Milk Snatcher (Thatcher) privatised it.

I was concerned while doing the Hinkley C work because one thing they are required to do on each reactor is a full load scam. They then have about 30 seconds of steam and 24 hours to restart. So 1.6 gigawatts of energy has to be found quickly on the grid. They usually rely on pumped storage which can be at full power in 15 seconds but Dinorwic plus Cruachan is not enough while retaining a margin for one power station going down. They can scrape up the power but not the duration. I predicted problems. If Hinkley C is completed in winter they may have to wait until the following summer before commissioning it so there is enough capacity to do the test."
I note that this squarely points the finger at privatisation.

I don't follow all the technical stuff, but is there basically a story about under-investment here?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From the news wires:

My bolds.

Good for the polar bears though
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
While I do like the idea of nuclear the modern plants are simply too expensive. Hinckley Point is requires both government guarantee and minimum pricing. An expensive offence to the market.

You also might want to look at Eurozone and US data before blaming the Tories. Manufacturing across the developed world is entering recession.
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Atleast build nuclear ffs.

Although we shant be building anything with the tories and their love for economic stagnation and cutting.
I note that this squarely points the finger at privatisation.

I don't follow all the technical stuff, but is there basically a story about under-investment here?
Not really. You can’t say that the public sector would have invested any more and that post was very anecdotal.

With that said I (prepare for shock) am actually in favour of the National Grid being brought into majority public hands (not supply or retail though). That is mainly due to being a licensed monopoly with historically excessive margins rather than any Belief that the state would invest much more (actually the suppliers invest a lot already though we clearly need better transmission technology).
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
While I do like the idea of nuclear the modern plants are simply too expensive. Hinckley Point is requires both government guarantee and minimum pricing. An expensive offence to the market.

You also might want to look at Eurozone and US data before blaming the Tories. Manufacturing across the developed world is entering recession.
Stuff like nuclear plants are to expensive to be left to a certain version of "the market" as are most big infrastructure projects like mass energy production. That does not mean they are not required or have no use for the economy. This is precisely why we need to stop paying you guys any attention. You have no ambition and no solutions to anything other than "shrinking the state" and crossing your fingers depsite failure after failure.

Yes and the response to an economic reccession and stagnation has been dismal, piss poor and economically illiterate whereever you sit on the political spectrum.
Last edited by ChaoticButterfly; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%