How come I eat a lot, yet I'm still always hungry?

Watch
username4339332
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm a fairly active guy who's quite healthy and fit, yet I can't seem to fill myself up when eating. I often binge eat or eat excessive amounts due to me not being full, which will eventually fill me up. For example, I literally can eat a full pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and still not be full after eating it all to myself, and I'd still be able to eat more food. Whenever I go to the shop to buy some snacks I always end up buying excessive amounts as well; for example I'd buy two chocolate bars instead of just one and I'd binge eat them straight away. I'm not sure why I'm like this, it's frustrating being always hungry as it means my weight can be volatile and I have no self control. I'm by no means fat or overweight, so I can't understand why I'm like this. I eat very fast, and I often don't drink water for extended periods of time so maybe this has something to do with it?
JMcGarry00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Possibly. But it sounds like you may have a high metabolism (the speed at which your body breaks down food for energy). When your physical stomach is full, it's sends a signal to the hypothalamus which then sends a pain signal to the stomach. Because your stomach isn't full as the food is being sent to the large intestine, your body still thinks it's hungry. I hope this answers your question
username4339332
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by JMcGarry00)
Possibly. But it sounds like you may have a high metabolism (the speed at which your body breaks down food for energy). When your physical stomach is full, it's sends a signal to the hypothalamus which then sends a pain signal to the stomach. Because your stomach isn't full as the food is being sent to the large intestine, your body still thinks it's hungry. I hope this answers your question
Oh yeah, never thought about metabolism playing a role into it. The thing is though, don't people with a fast metabolism have a slender frame? I'm slim, but definitely not skinny
JMcGarry00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Partly, but it depends on the person. Obese people, for example have a lot of fat in their liver and body cells because they aren't active so the energy isn't used and therefore is stored in the body as fat in cells and tissues. And because you are fairly active, your body cells that contain fat oxidise (they get the oxygen from physical activity) and it turns to carbon dioxide and water. You can be either skinny or slim too
username4902282
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Eat foods higher in protein and fibre
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tapeworm.
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Chew on whatever you're eating for longer. You're probably eating too fast.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Eat slower and drink more. Often when I'm still feeling peckish after meals or mid way through a day, it's because I'm dehydrated.

You can get water bottles with like times on it to help you drink more e.g drink this much by 12 o'clock
Rishi.R
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pretty much all junk foods like the foods you mentioned above are empty calories so they are unlikely too fill a fair amount of people up. Eating more wholesome foods may do the trick, although there is a possibility that your metabolism is quite high. Before I used to think I was always hungry but I really wasn't, I just felt like I was hungry (If you know what I mean XD). After sticking to a loose meal plan in terms and when to eat it got much better and now I'm not as hungry as I used to be. I don't know if that will work for you but what the hey, might as well put it out there. I also recommend something called mindful eating where you take a bite of something and cherish it, close your eyes, feel the flavor and then swallow. If you do that then it makes you fee more satisfied without having to eat so much. Sounds weird but it worked for me.
Last edited by Rishi.R; 1 year ago
username4889668
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Drink a lot of water. My sister (who works in the medical field) said that our brains sometimes 'get confused' and tell us we're hungry but we're more likely to just be thirsty.
FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Eat food with more fibre.
DaisyCharlotte
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am no doctor, but it might be worth getting your thyroid checked. Sometimes, if your thyroid is overactive your appetite increases a lot. You would probably have other symptoms though - such as a rapid pulse, and maybe a slight tremor. You could look up the symptoms and see if they ring any bells.... Just a thought!
(Original post by Huckipity)
So I'm a fairly active guy who's quite healthy and fit, yet I can't seem to fill myself up when eating. I often binge eat or eat excessive amounts due to me not being full, which will eventually fill me up. For example, I literally can eat a full pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and still not be full after eating it all to myself, and I'd still be able to eat more food. Whenever I go to the shop to buy some snacks I always end up buying excessive amounts as well; for example I'd buy two chocolate bars instead of just one and I'd binge eat them straight away. I'm not sure why I'm like this, it's frustrating being always hungry as it means my weight can be volatile and I have no self control. I'm by no means fat or overweight, so I can't understand why I'm like this. I eat very fast, and I often don't drink water for extended periods of time so maybe this has something to do with it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (18)
35.29%
No (29)
56.86%
I don't know (4)
7.84%

Watched Threads