for those who used P plates how long did you keep them on? Watch

J0n3zviper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Just wondering as I've had mine on for a month now..
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lucyfloss
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I never used them after I passed and from what friends have said, people actually treated them worse with p plates than without. I wouldn’t bother, most people on the road are terrible at driving and you won’t stand out trust me
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I found it cheaper to just shout 'Danger Zone!' out the window whenever I did something daft.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can tell you this... no one cares if you have P plates.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by stoyfan)
I don't know I feel like it has made people keep their distance.. logic says if you see someone with a P plate surely this let's you know they may make a mistake so give a little more room? If I'm behind a learner I keep my distance and wait if needed.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
I don't know I feel like it has made people keep their distance.. logic says if you see someone with a P plate surely this let's you know they may make a mistake so give a little more room? If I'm behind a learner I keep my distance and wait if needed.
The difference between a learner and a p plate user is that the P plate user has passed the test already. Therefore it is more rare for them to brake harshly than learner drivers.

So I maintain the same braking distance for P platers as normal drivers.

Most drivers who put P plates drive just fine. The same cannot be said for learners.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Who even uses them - unless you want to get bullied?
yaboy75
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've been driving for years and still drive with it on because i'm a terrible driver.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
I think if you are that immature that you would bully someone over P plates, you probably are insecure and should probs seek help. That's bully's in general tbh. Fortunately for me no one Im in contact with daily would have the bollax to step to me anyway.
Levi Partridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just wondering as I've had mine on for a month now..
Once you're confident that you can drive safely consistently, probably then. The risk is that they'll have the same effect as "kick me" signs which can be disastrous on roads, especially for inexperienced drivers
Levi Partridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think if you are that immature that you would bully someone over P plates, you probably are insecure and should probs seek help. That's bully's in general tbh. Fortunately for me no one Im in contact with daily would have the bollax to step to me anyway.
immature and insecure as it is, your insurance won't care if you end up in a shunt because of that and they'll charge you more, and you'll have car repair bills to pay or worse still personal injury so it's best not to put yourself in those potential positions
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Levi Partridge)
immature and insecure as it is, your insurance won't care if you end up in a shunt because of that and they'll charge you more, and you'll have car repair bills to pay or worse still personal injury so it's best not to put yourself in those potential positions
Umm what? Wtf has insurance got to do with P plates? The purpose is to simply make other drivers aware you are new so don't expect perfection. Not even sure what you are even talking about tbh.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by yaboy75)
I've been driving for years and still drive with it on because i'm a terrible driver.
Are you being serious?
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Umm what? Wtf has insurance got to do with P plates? The purpose is to simply make other drivers aware you are new so don't expect perfection. Not even sure what you are even talking about tbh.
I suspect they mean you're more likely to be bullied into making a mistake...and therefore an insurance claim. They won't care if you had P plates, you'll still be likely priced off the road.

Many drivers really don't like them, the general feeling being if you're not confident on the road you shouldn't really be there, esp not in their way.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you drive with P plates, expect to get bullied.

P plates to me say "I passed my test, but only by giving the examiner a blowjob".

If you're able to drive properly, you should not need any special identifier - I tend to avoid and overtake P plate drivers when I come across them, just as I do learner drivers; they're unpredictable, and I don't have time to be messed about waiting behind them at roundabouts stalling every ****ing time they try and move.

/rant.
yaboy75
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you being serious?
yh
Levi Partridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Insurance hasn't directly got anything to do with P plates, it's more if the P plates cause somebody else to be an idiot and create an accident involving you, and I have seen people purposely be idiots around a driver displaying P plates
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would get them off asap. Haven't bothered myself as I think people react badly to them, won't let you out, overtake dangerously etc. My instructor advised me not to bother as it gets other drivers stressed out.
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
I used mine and it helped my anxiety whilst getting used to driving alone. I didn't get bullied...
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My mum wore it for quite a while, hasn't impacted her negatively...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (165)
13.26%
Excited (108)
8.68%
Worried (229)
18.41%
Terrified (291)
23.39%
Meh (99)
7.96%
Confused (32)
2.57%
Putting on a brave face (163)
13.1%
Impatient (157)
12.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise