for those who used P plates how long did you keep them on? Watch

Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lucyfloss)
I never used them after I passed and from what friends have said, people actually treated them worse with p plates than without. I wouldn’t bother, most people on the road are terrible at driving and you won’t stand out trust me
I never used them after i passed either.
In my opinion, they are just an excuse for some drivers to abuse you.
Soteria3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should keep it till you feel confident driving. I mean everyone feels a little nervous at first. So it's better if you use a P plate so that other drivers give you your space which in turn decreases the chance of causing an accident
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Soteria3)
You should keep it till you feel confident driving. I mean everyone feels a little nervous at first. So it's better if you use a P plate so that other drivers give you your space which in turn decreases the chance of causing an accident
That's not how it works in reality.
Soteria3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
That's not how it works in reality.
Ye I know bro but the main point behind the P plates is yours as well as other drivers safety
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Ye I know bro but the main point behind the P plates is yours as well as other drivers safety
Again, not how it works in the real world.
Soteria3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Again, not how it works in the real world.
You can leave them on your vehicle for as long as you like, until you feel confident enough to remove them.{According to the law}
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You can leave them on your vehicle for as long as you like, until you feel confident enough to remove them.{According to the law}
The law also says you can keep training wheels on your bike for as long as you want, but people will still treat you like you can't go a bike. Past a point it's abusing it, as it's really a 'SPECIAL TREATMENT PLZ' sticker.
yaboy75
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
The law also says you can keep training wheels on your bike for as long as you want, but people will still treat you like you can't go a bike. Past a point it's abusing it, as it's really a 'SPECIAL TREATMENT PLZ' sticker.
If it makes others more cautious around you then you have a better chance of getting from A to B without issues.

Sure there'll be a hole out there making your life difficult but w/e.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by yaboy75)
If it makes others more cautious around you then you have a better chance of getting from A to B without issues.

Sure there'll be a hole out there making your life difficult but w/e.
But in the real world it doesn't have that affect.
yaboy75
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
But in the real world it doesn't have that affect.
What effect does it have then.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
What effect does it have then.
Scroll up and read the thread.
yaboy75
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Scroll up and read the thread.
Seems like a minor issue, at worst it gets people like you away from people that use P plates ASAP.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Seems like a minor issue, at worst it gets people like you away from people that use P plates ASAP.
"People like you"... okay then..

If you're so lacking in confidence as to require a special snowflake sticker on your car, you shouldn't be driving.
yaboy75
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
"People like you"... okay then..

If you're so lacking in confidence as to require a special snowflake sticker on your car, you shouldn't be driving.
Yh and that wasn't meant as an offence but lmao what kind of response is that.

If you have some weird issue with people that have P plates, go past em as you do. No one's changing.
Mabey
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I kept mine on for a couple of months. I used them because it gave me more confidence, since I'm an anxious person
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yh and that wasn't meant as an offence but lmao what kind of response is that.

If you have some weird issue with people that have P plates, go past em as you do. No one's changing.
P plates just indicate that someone passed their test but probably shouldn't have.
yaboy75
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
P plates just indicate that someone passed their test but probably shouldn't have.
Okay.
J0n3zviper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I took them off now as time has passed, I slowly worked my way to being confident with them off. Do I feel like it's made a difference? Yes tbh, people ride my arse even more now.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Chris1o1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I personally didn't use a P plate when I passed. I've heard from friends that they kept it on for about 3 months. Personally, I don't see the point. If you passed your driving test, you should be up to the minimum standard that is expected of any driver, therefore, putting on P plates shouldn't make a difference. In fact, from a third party's point of view, it seemed to me that people tend to be less patient with P plates and tend to overtake straight away. Instead, I would suggest taking extra driving qualifications to get your confidence up such as Pass Plus or more lessons. Training doesn't need to stop just because you've met the criteria on the day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (35)
15.91%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.55%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.45%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
38.18%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.45%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise