Christian_j
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by All at once)
Agree with the people saying Omega, it's not obscure, but they're the best watches out there imo - personally i have the seamaster and love it.

I agree, I have a Seamaster and it is brilliant - do you have the Orange bezel?
BOBO777
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My brother brought me the Kim Raikonnen Tag Haeur watch and now i am forever in his debt.
pinkpont
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Right, time to put some of my experience to use.

OP, which model rolex do you have? Datejust? If you're after an obscure, but well built and durable watch, you might want to check out Chronoswiss. They're a German brand, started up by Karl Lang, an ex TAG master watchmaker. Their models range from dress watches to more sporty ones. Check out the Timemaster, that's their signature model. They also do some nice chronographs, I love their Lunar Chronograph. They all have classic designs with a modern twist, and all have crystal backs, so you can see their movements in all their glory. Certainly in a similar price bracket to Rolex and Cartier.

Cartier also do some beautiful watches. My personal favourite is the Roadster, but if you want robust, the Santos 100 is always a good bet. Omega are a really good brand, and make some top quality watches, but everyone and their dog seems to have the Seamaster 300M diver, and they just lack that exclusivity. On the other hand, there are a couple of limited edition models out at the moment. The new Bond Seamaster is very smart, and you can still find Speedmaster 50th Anniversary models around (which come with a wooden presentation box, full tool kit, and a leather strap.)

Pateks are brilliant watches, I'd love to have one myself, but maybe in several years time?

Final note, you could always put your name down for a Rolex Daytona. 9 year waiting list though :P

Hope that helps, and if you need any more advice, feel free to pm me
Strictly Business
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a little surprised at Chopard not getting mentioned very much. I think it's exactly the kind of brand of luxury watch that the OP is looking for.
becs_in_bath
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Baume & Mercier do some lovely watches, and you're unlikely to find a lot of other people wearing the same watch as you - I never have!
kingofgods
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
PSSSST to all of you...Jacob&Co is the way foward
kingofgods
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
LMAO while posting there is a link on top right to http://www.exactreplicas.com/;)
User188463
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
why would you want 2 pricey watches? One for each hand!? omg Get a MONOCLE!
munn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you already have a quality watch, and you want to spend 3k on another?
Would it not make sense to keep that money and save for the downpayment on a house or something?
or are you filthy stinking rich?
Just curious. If I was filthy stinking rich I'd have a different watch for each day of the month
popepius
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by pinkpont)
Right, time to put some of my experience to use.

OP, which model rolex do you have? Datejust? If you're after an obscure, but well built and durable watch, you might want to check out Chronoswiss. They're a German brand, started up by Karl Lang, an ex TAG master watchmaker. Their models range from dress watches to more sporty ones. Check out the Timemaster, that's their signature model. They also do some nice chronographs, I love their Lunar Chronograph. They all have classic designs with a modern twist, and all have crystal backs, so you can see their movements in all their glory. Certainly in a similar price bracket to Rolex and Cartier.

Cartier also do some beautiful watches. My personal favourite is the Roadster, but if you want robust, the Santos 100 is always a good bet. Omega are a really good brand, and make some top quality watches, but everyone and their dog seems to have the Seamaster 300M diver, and they just lack that exclusivity. On the other hand, there are a couple of limited edition models out at the moment. The new Bond Seamaster is very smart, and you can still find Speedmaster 50th Anniversary models around (which come with a wooden presentation box, full tool kit, and a leather strap.)

Pateks are brilliant watches, I'd love to have one myself, but maybe in several years time?

Final note, you could always put your name down for a Rolex Daytona. 9 year waiting list though :P

Hope that helps, and if you need any more advice, feel free to pm me
GMT pepsi colour.
Shall check out Chronoswiss, im starting to think at this level its about whether a watch suits your tastes rather than this brand is better than another.
rocketscience
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pinkpont)

where do you put your name down for one?
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by FoeGeddaBowDeet)
its fine if it surprises you, when you start making snide comments about other people for doing so it says a lot more about you than any point you can make about them
Right, so judging by a sentence, what do you know about me?
FoeGeddaBowDeet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jenren22)
Right, so judging by a sentence, what do you know about me?
Judging by what you said before, i'd guess you're poor and bitter. You're envious of OP's disposable income, even though it's not exactly at amazing levels.
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Judging by what you said before, i'd guess you're poor and bitter. You're envious of OP's disposable income, even though it's not exactly at amazing levels.
Yep, spot on .
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm, if I had the money I'd probably go for an IWC Portuguese, but as you mention IWC in your original post you probably already have that in your consideration. Two other brands that you could look at are Jaeger LeCoultre and A. Lange & Söhne. I'm not sure whether they fulfil your 'ruggedness' requirement.
pinkpont
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by popepius)
GMT pepsi colour.
Shall check out Chronoswiss, im starting to think at this level its about whether a watch suits your tastes rather than this brand is better than another.
Definitely. Chronoswiss have oodles of character, and its nice to know they are a little less mainstream. The GMT is a fantastic watch though, the new GMT II with the ceramic bezel is probably one of the best looking watches in the Rolex range.

(Original post by rocketscience)
where do you put your name down for one?
Should be able to do it at any Rolex agent. That's the way things work at the shop I work at. However, some places might have closed the waiting list for the plain steel one. If you want to get your hands on one, you could always fork out a bit more and go for the steel and gold one, they're far easier to get hold of.
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not particularly envious - at the age of the average person on TSR, if you've got that much disposable income, you're most likely filthy rich through no merit of your own... Not something I'd particularly be boasting about tbh...
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think the OP was boasting. He merely started a thread asking about expensive watches, and said he had a Rolex to give people an idea of what sort of watches he was talking about. At no point has he sought to wave his money in anybody's face. If he's filthy rich through no merit of his own, who are we to care?

£4000 is a lot of money to spend on a watch that won't tell the time any better than a £10 watch from Argos, but that's not really what it's about. People spend a hell of a lot of money on handbags that don't hold things any better than a plastic bag, and shoes that aren't any comfier than those that you could get at Clarks. Some people just like the craftsmanship that goes into these things and many people view them as art. When you see the movements on some of these things, and then think that somebody put it all together by hand, I think that they're worth it. I can understand that many people wouldn't.

I say again, mmm, IWC Portuguese.
popepius
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
Not particularly envious - at the age of the average person on TSR, if you've got that much disposable income, you're most likely filthy rich through no merit of your own... Not something I'd particularly be boasting about tbh...
I think your a bit out of order, i choose to spend money on something i particularly like rather than getting a car, nicer flat, or even going out for lunch and the pub here and there. Its zero sum for me where to afford to buy something im really in to i have to miss out on other pleasures.
I dont quite understand your argument that anyone with savings of 4,000 pounds (which may have been accrued over a number of years) is filthy rich and undeserving.

On a more positive note every watch mentioned which i researched is a stunner and defo in consideration.

Guess i will hae to narrow it down
pinkpont
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TommehR)
I don't think the OP was boasting. He merely started a thread asking about expensive watches, and said he had a Rolex to give people an idea of what sort of watches he was talking about. At no point has he sought to wave his money in anybody's face. If he's filthy rich through no merit of his own, who are we to care?

£4000 is a lot of money to spend on a watch that won't tell the time any better than a £10 watch from Argos, but that's not really what it's about. People spend a hell of a lot of money on handbags that don't hold things any better than a plastic bag, and shoes that aren't any comfier than those that you could get at Clarks. Some people just like the craftsmanship that goes into these things and many people view them as art. When you see the movements on some of these things, and then think that somebody put it all together by hand, I think that they're worth it. I can understand that many people wouldn't.

I say again, mmm, IWC Portuguese.
Totally agree with you there. Higher end watches just tend to have that little something about them, what I'd like to call a soul. These are fantastically complicated devices, which stick two fingers up to the soulless, mass produced quartz monstrosoties that are out at the moment. Take tourbillon watches for example (engineered to combat the effects of gravity, to make a mechanical watch more accurate). Silly money, and you probably couldn't notice a difference in accuracy, but the engineering is phenomenal, made by someone with a passion for watches, not just by a robot in an anonymous factory. Some people buy expensive watches for the prestige, others appreciate the hard work that goes into them, and know that these things are examples of human resilience, pushing forward the boundaries of technology. Quartz movements are probably as accurate as they can get now...mechanical watch movements will always have room for improvement.

Even if your watch doesn't have a mechanical movement, it can have a bit of soul. Certainly Omegas and Cartiers have that wow factor, and even lower end watches, such as Rotary, have had a lot of effort put into them. That's why I always tell people to avoid fashion brands, such as D and G, like the plague, because it stops being about the watch, and starts being about the image.

Just as a final note, the number of man hours that goes into every single Rolex watch totals up at about a year. That's the kind of thing that sets Rolexes apart from your dodgy 10 quid knock off from the market. You don't need to have thousands of pounds stashed away to buy a good watch, stick with proper watch brands, and you can't go wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.89%
Not great so far... (281)
35.98%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.33%

Watched Threads