Good CHEAP chairs for back pain? Watch

AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey guys,
I have serious upper back pain from sitting at my uncomfortable desk all day revising pretty much. I do go to the gym and have started to do excercises which help me.

The pain is seems to be in my upper middle back. Assuming thats my rhombiods, they seem to be unresponsive, like completely its always the areas around my upper middle back that are targeted during excercise ;/

Whilst I find some workout to do, does anoyone know any cheap chairs that help with such pain? I have a found a school desk for around £40 however, most the chairs I find aren't helpful for your back or are shaped in a weird way or are above £100

Budget is preferably under £50. If Not then under £100. Thanks!
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

This will help.
AlwaysBroke.
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Mogg)

This will help.
Wow thanks so much dude...uh, pains gone just from looking at it!
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don’t have a chair at my desk, instead I have a large exercise ball! It’s amazing love it, very fun to bounce on and great for the back and posture too. I’d definitely recommend that instead of a chair.
sorryforgotpass
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I've got the same issue, this worked insanely well.

IKEA Markus (second hand from ebay they're quite a lot new). It offers little back support on its own, but is clearly very well made and durable.

Then get a "back support" such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/MemorySoft-...PTTEYYQC0ZNNFRSubmit reply

The markus is rubbish on its own, but with the support you get great ergonomics and great build quality. You can move the back support up and down _ change the angle by opening zip at back and putting boxes in it.
AlwaysBroke.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
I don’t have a chair at my desk, instead I have a large exercise ball! It’s amazing love it, very fun to bounce on and great for the back and posture too. I’d definitely recommend that instead of a chair.
Seriously?
Wouldn't that cause greater anterior pelvic tilt or poor posture due to no rest for the back?
I guess in a way it promotes good posture because you are forced to sit upright against gracity (due to no back support) but I feel it may have the oppposite effect and just create back pain??
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AlwaysBroke.)
Seriously?
Wouldn't that cause greater anterior pelvic tilt or poor posture due to no rest for the back?
I guess in a way it promotes good posture because you are forced to sit upright against gracity (due to no back support) but I feel it may have the oppposite effect and just create back pain??
Well not for me? I’m dead serious I’ve been using an exercise ball at my desk and not a chair since i was 12 or 13 years old and I love it.
AlwaysBroke.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Well not for me? I’m dead serious I’ve been using an exercise ball at my desk and not a chair since i was 12 or 13 years old and I love it.
Damn holy crap I might get one then. I'm sure they will be useful for stretches as well at home!

I'll do further research before I decide. I'll probbably sit on one at the gym for a while see how I feel. If not they are only £10 on eBay and a broke dude like me needs to save every penny I can
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Before I started lifting I had chronic upper back pain which sounds similar to yours. Upper back was always spasmed. Most chairs weren't comfortable but I tended to get on with mid back chairs where the back curved away from me. I'm guessing because it allowed me to lean into the chair and stretch my back over the top of the chair. I had this one for a while:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6088734

I think anything that kind of shape will be better for you. You have to sit back into the chair though. If you hunch over a desk you're reinforcing the problem.
AlwaysBroke.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyri)
Before I started lifting I had chronic upper back pain which sounds similar to yours. Upper back was always spasmed. Most chairs weren't comfortable but I tended to get on with mid back chairs where the back curved away from me. I'm guessing because it allowed me to lean into the chair and stretch my back over the top of the chair. I had this one for a while:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6088734

I think anything that kind of shape will be better for you. You have to sit back into the chair though. If you hunch over a desk you're reinforcing the problem.
Yeah, this is the main problem with me. Due to A levels and UCAT exams coming up, I have found myself hunched over my really small desk for pretty much 8 hours.

Looking at the chair I guess I understand you have to lean your upper back onto it, but wouldn't that cause more stress on the lower back and further anterior pelvic tilt?

Either way thanks for the ideas, weirdly I didn't consider researching chairs on Argos actually lool haha
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah, this is the main problem with me. Due to A levels and UCAT exams coming up, I have found myself hunched over my really small desk for pretty much 8 hours.

Looking at the chair I guess I understand you have to lean your upper back onto it, but wouldn't that cause more stress on the lower back and further anterior pelvic tilt?

Either way thanks for the ideas, weirdly I didn't consider researching chairs on Argos actually lool haha
A specific chair isn't really what's causing your anterior pelvic tilt. Sitting in general for long periods makes your hip flexors tight and glutes / hamstrings weak, so when you then stand you can't keep your pelvis under your spine in its natural position. Hunching in your chair though will cause upper back rounding and tightness. I just found that kind of chair relieving in the short term but ultimately only fixing your muscle imbalances / weakness is what will solve this long term. I know you've started doing gym exercises and that's the right thing.
alan55
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There are many good models of recliners for back pain on the market. I have Bonzy Lift recliner, it provides optimal support with all types of related issues. Very comfortable and doesn't cost much. But you can check reviews about best recliners on TheBestReclinersReviews to find the perfect one for you.
Last edited by alan55; 3 months ago
PrazzPrazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey guys,
I have serious upper back pain from sitting at my uncomfortable desk all day revising pretty much. I do go to the gym and have started to do excercises which help me.

The pain is seems to be in my upper middle back. Assuming thats my rhombiods, they seem to be unresponsive, like completely its always the areas around my upper middle back that are targeted during excercise ;/

Whilst I find some workout to do, does anoyone know any cheap chairs that help with such pain? I have a found a school desk for around £40 however, most the chairs I find aren't helpful for your back or are shaped in a weird way or are above £100

Budget is preferably under £50. If Not then under £100. Thanks!
For back pain dont get a chair just buy a mini massager or get a massager, I've attached the link to a cheap and useful one which gets rid of chronic pain https://www.printed4you.co.uk/voca?g...iABEgL71_D_BwE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (417)
43.94%
No (98)
10.33%
I'm not old enough (434)
45.73%

Watched Threads